About this project
We are Kodiak Leather (www.kodiakleather.com), a startup in Utah founded by Jared Morse, an outdoorsman who was frustrated by the lack of reasonably priced leather bags that could hold up under the rough conditions of travel.
This inspired Jared to create Kodiak Leather and our custom leather bags. After finding only the highest quality leather and hardware, we set out to build a bag that would last a lifetime.
After our first Kickstarter campaign, the Buffalo Leather Satchel, we found there was also a need for a bigger, travel size bag that would complement the leather satchel.
With the amazing feedback we received from our last Kickstarter campaign, along with the funding we received from the project, we set out to design this bag.
Whether taking a business trip, a vacation with the family or that fishing trip you've been planning with your buddies, we wanted to make a travel bag that would hold up under any conditions.
After looking over all of the duffel bags on the market, we couldn't find one that had all of the features that we were looking for. We wanted a sturdy leather bag, that would be able to withstand all of the wear and tear of a week in Alaska. But also something with a vintage look, that had functionality and simplicity. Something that would be classy enough to take with you on a business trip, or on a weekend trip with the family.
Buffalo leather is superior to cow leather in several manners.
- Buffalo leather is more resistant to damage from ripping, stretching and excessive heat.
- It's also more breathable than cow leather, making it better for a wider range of temperatures.
- Buffalo leather is frequently used in military gear.
- Furniture and clothing benefit from buffalo leather's durability and ease of maintenance.
- Buffalo leather also has a distinctive texture that makes it sought-after for all sorts of aesthetic purposes. It possesses a "pebbly" appearance that works well for coats or briefcase covers.
- Buffalo leather can even be maintained with conditioners meant for cow leather; it requires no special care compared to other kinds of leather.
- In it's natural state, the buffalo hide is thicker than the cowhide.
- 100% full grain buffalo leather
- Large interior compartment, measures 21" x 11" x 11"
- Detachable and adjustable 100% full leather strap with leather pad for comfort
- Tough leather carry handle on one end
- Sturdy brown nylon interior lining
- 2 exterior pockets with easy access buckle straps with magnetic closure (same as buffalo leather satchel)
- 1 exterior zipper pocket on front; perfect for carrying phone or other smaller items
- Separate shoe compartment on bottom of bag; access through zipper on side of duffel
- Interior zippered pocket; perfect size for an ipad or books
- Full leather attachment to interior side panel for credit cards, phone, and other items
- Leather pen holder stitched to inside of bag
- 5 solid brass feet to protect bottom of bag and keep from touching the ground
- Sturdy YKK zippers
- Heavy duty brown nylon interior lining
- Exterior measurement 23.5" x 12" x 12"
We've added a sturdy brass dog hook to the adjustable shoulder strap. This makes attaching or detaching the strap quick and easy.
To protect the bottom of the bag we have added 5 large brass studs.
Pocket #1- Shoe compartment at the base of the bag.
Pocket #2- Side pocket with buckle strap for easy access to chords, documents, phone or other small items.
Pocket #3- Front pocket with buckle strap. This pocket is larger than the side pocket and is big enough for a paperback.
Pocket #4 - Zippered pocket on back. This pocket is the most secure, as it is generally going to be closest to your body while carrying the bag. Perfect for a passport or other sensitive materials.
- Interior Dimensions: 21" x 11" x 11"
- Exterior Dimensions (not including external pockets): 23.5" x 12" x 12"
- Weight: 7.1 lbs
- 54" Shoulder Strap (at longest length)
- Full-Grain Buffalo Leather
- Brass Hardware
- Premium YKK Zippers
- Heavy Duty Nylon Liner
This passport cover holds up to 4 credit cards, has a slot for a passport cover, and will come with a Field Notes notebook that slides into the right sleeve pocket. There is also an additional sleeve pocket on the right side for holding cash, receipts or other small documents. Made from 100% Full-Grain Buffalo Leather.
The Kodiak Leather Dopp Kit makes the perfect companion for the Weekender Duffel. It fits easily inside the duffel bag and will keep all of your toiletries / shaving supplies separated. This Dopp Kit is made from genuine buffalo leather, and comes with a lifetime warranty!! The dopp kit, or toiletry bag, is vital for traveling. This bag comes with a magnetic closure on the end, with a double zipper opening on top. Ideal for shave kits and toiletry items. Interior zippered pocket is great for separation of smaller items.
Dimensions: 4.5" Width x 9.5" Length x 5" Height.
- May–June 2017: Design and prototyping of duffel bag
- July–August: Finalize design of duffel bag, finalize leather and hardware types, begin manufacturing of samples
- July 25: Launch Kickstarter campaign
- September 8: Kickstarter campaign ends
- September 22: Receive funds from Kickstarter
- September 23: Begin production/ manufacturing of rewards (6 to 10 week production time, depending on number of pledges)
- December 2017: All manufacturing completed, begin shipping rewards
- January 2018: All rewards shipped and received by end of January.
Why Support Us?
In order to make these products come to life, we need to raise $5,000 to complete our first run of production.
- If you pledge to this campaign you will be the FIRST to receive these products and you will be getting them for a MUCH lower price than they will cost once they are available to the public! We understand that making a pledge is a big commitment and we WANT to reward you accordingly!!
- Purchase a product that is GUARANTEED for LIFE. All of our products come with a lifetime guarantee. Leather looks better with age.
- Someday your Kodiak Leather product will tell a story of it's own.
- Select the pledge that matches the item you want to pre-order.
- If our goal is reached, you will be charged at the end of the campaign, and we will ship your reward as soon as it is made!
- If our goal is not reached, your card will NOT be charged, and you will not receive the product.
With your support and pledging towards our Kodiak Leather products, you will be making a HUGE difference in the Kodiak Leather manufacturing process, and will help us make the Classic Weekender Duffel available to everyone.
Pledge $40 or more and receive 1 Leather Passport Cover. Limited quantity available for early bird pledge level.
Pledge $50 or more and receive 1 Leather Dopp Kit. Limited quantity available for early bird pricing.
Pledge $250 or more and receive 1 Classic Weekender Duffel. Limited number available for this early bird pledge level!
Pledge $280 or more and receive 1 Classic Weekender Duffel. Limited quantity available for this pledge level.
Pledge $325 or more and receive 1 Classic Weekender Duffel.
Pledge $325 or more and receive the Ultimate Traveler's Set, including:
- 1- Classic Weekender Duffel
- 1- Leather Passport Cover
- 1- Leather Dopp Kit
Limited quantity available at the early bird pledge level.
Pledge $400 or more and receive the Ultimate Traveler's Set, including:
- 1- Classic Weekender Duffel
- 1- Leather Passport Cover
- 1- Leather Dopp Kit
Pledge $500 or more and receive 2 Classic Weekender Duffel Bags. Free shipping on second bag.
Pledge $750 or more and receive 2 Ultimate Traveler's Sets. Free shipping on second traveler's set.
Thank you for helping us make this bag available to everyone!
"This is even better in person. The leather and coloring is beautiful. The quality is exceptional. My boyfriend loves it. It's classy enough to elevate a jeans outfit but nice enough to work with his work clothes too. Shipping was super fast too. Thank you!!! It's perfect."
-Olive Wildly -Etsy
"LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! I just received the Kodiak Leather Satchel, and i am blown away at the quality and detail work that was put into it. The leather is beautiful! The pictures posted really don't do it justice. I definitely recommend this product and will be ordering from this company again! They were so helpful and quick to respond to my messages."
-Ann T. -Etsy
"Absolutely beautiful bag. This will be a bag my husband can use forever! Beautiful crafted and he loves it!!!"
-Michelle R. -Etsy "My boyfriend absolutely loved his leather toiletry bag! Beautifully crafted and has that great leather smell. After purchasing, I'm surprising him with the duffel for his birthday."
-Christine M. -Etsy
"I ordered two bags and they both arrived looking amazing. The leather, the stitching and the lining are all high quality. The seller was also very helpful in customizing the tags. Made a great gift!"
-Trenton M. -Etsy
Risks and challenges
While we are a fairly young company, this is not our first Kickstarter project.
We have a good idea of what to expect on producing these bags, but as always there are potential delays and setbacks as we depend on other businesses for our leather supply and hardware.
The timeline we have set is a very realistic timeline, and we are very confident that we will deliver your rewards on time!
Support this project
- (45 days)