Gullah Girl Tea is a Brooklyn based loose leaf tea company with the mission to create a delicious healing beverage that honors the Gullah culture and tradition of tea and herbs as healing. This strong passion was born out of wanting to learn about how to address symptoms that came along with diabetes. Gullah Girl tea is doing a Kickstarter campaign at this time to support Gullah Girl Tea current expansion by increasing production power. Production is currently a one woman job and so it's time for some industrial equipment to facilitate filling larger orders. This can be done by purchasing:
- Much needed packaging supplies, Kraft paper standing pouches ( 2oz & 8oz) Funds will go toward ordering 1000 in each size.
- 100% natural cotton sachets that are reusable. The healing blends line is packaged in these sachets and then a box. The funds will go towards purchasing 1000 sachets for customers to receive their tea in and reuse!
- The minimum shipping requirements of herbs and tea leaves to support stock of teas. I will reach out to all of my tea leaf and herb suppliers and order the minimum requirement for free shipping of tea leaves and herbs - with each supplier this ranges from $250 - $500
- Large quantity of wholesale fruits in order to dehydrate and add to blends.
- Industrial dehydrators in order to increase the amount of fruits and herbs that can be dehydrated within an eight hour window. Currently I am able to dehydrate about two types of fruits during an eight hour period, with 3 new dehydrators, which are industrial and have more shelving space, I will be able to dehydrate up to 8 types of fruit during an eight hour period.
- Spice grinders in order to grind dehydrated fruits and herbs to add to tea blends.
- 100% natural organic edible essential oils to incorporate into new blends. My teas are 100% natural and I want to keep it that way, natural edible essential oils will be used in moderation to compliment fruits in limited tea blends - every ingredient in my tea blends is always listed on my website!
- Glassware for storage of all new tea blends, dehydrated and freshly ground fruits and herbs.
- Glassware for tincture making.
- Dropper bottles for tinctures.
- Adhesive label strips for tea packaging.
- New Stamps of tea blend names and brew times. Gullah Girl Tea packaging is currently hand stamped, the logo is stamped onto the pouches and each blend name and brew time is written by hand. The new stamps which will include these blend names and brew times will allow Gullah Girl Tea to label approximately 50% more packaging in an eight hour workday.
- Postal Scale in order to accommodate increased shipping demands and weigh teas and print shipping labels from home before taking web orders to the post office.
- Shipping supplies ( minimum requirement for free shipping ) of boxes, bubble wrap, tape, etc.
- Printer + Cartridges +Paper, for label/shipping/invoice printing.
This year has been phenomenal! Gullah Girl Tea has secured placement in online markets, and local specialty food stores and boutiques around Brooklyn, New York. I have also had the opportunity to launch the Healing Blends line - which is a 100% herbal line of teas. I thank my teacher in herbalism, Master Herbalist Karen Rose for all that she has taught me.
PRESS!!! Here are a few blog features from this year: Opening Ceremony Blog, Organic Root Stimulator Blog, Pas de Deux blog.
*** Special Thanks to Photographer/ Videographer Gregory Constanzo for lending his amazing eye to this project and Producer Session - ( Session's Souncloud) for the beautiful track that accompanies the video! You both are awesome!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you everyone! I can't thank you enough for all of your support, it is truly and deeply appreciated and means the world to Gullah Girl Tea at this time!
Oh and P.S. - BLOOPERS VIDEO SOON TO COME!!!
Risks and challenges
Starting and growing a small business has been a lot of hard work! There have been mistakes made along the way, but with each mistake I have grown by leaps and bounds and have learned how to overcome them with grace and gratitude. A foreseeable challenge that I have, in fact encountered in the past, is filling orders in a timely manner. In addition to expanding my team, I do feel confident that with increased stock/equipment that that setback can be overcome!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)