The Tarot has been used for centuries as a method of assessing problems and divining solutions through a series of common, time-tested archetypes. You could argue that the basest human impulse is to make order from chaos - to scry meaning from the overload of aimless noise that surrounds us - and Tarot is one way millions of people do this, through the clear, resonant medium of words and pictures. Much like comics!
Welcome to TABULA IDEM: A Queer Tarot Comic Anthology Kickstarter– relaunched, reworked, and here to offer you comics made, told, and crafted by queer creators for queer audiences and more.
TABULA IDEM will be a 240+ page black and white comic anthology, structured around tarot’s Major Arcana– 22 short comics beginning with The Fool, and ending with The World. Each story, featuring unquestionably LGBTQIA+ characters (including trans, genderqueer, genderfluid, and other non-binary/unique pronoun characters with queer romantic alignments), themes, and reflections, and will culminate in a tarot card image, either as a moment from the story, or a mirror of the comic as a whole.
New to tarot? Or familiar with the cards? TABULA IDEM will also have unique information about each card in the Major Arcana, pages dedicated on how to perform spreads, and a unique introduction comic that shows how TABULA IDEM’s stories can relate to any kind of reader. With stories ranging from fantasy to science fiction to slice-of-life, there’s a story for any kind of tarot reader’s fancy.
Tarot can help to inspire, to spark hope, to reflect, and to assure; there is something powerful in seeing tradition translated into modern, relatable image of yourself and others you see yourself in. We and our stories are here to stay, and with this relaunch, we’re focusing on putting the characters that breathe life into the cards’ imagery.
To follow along with how TABULA IDEM has developed and weathered until the relaunch, keep up with us at @TabulaIdemTarot or tabulaidemanthology.com for updates, Artist Features, or advanced sneak peeks.
- The tarot deck will now be a Kickstarter-exclusive stretch goal! This is probably the most significant change, as it added to not only our production costs, but our possible shipping expense as well. Our original tiers included a deck with the book formerly, so if you want a deck, be sure to pledge so we can break our goals! Read more about our Stretch Goals down the campaign page.
- We’re also running a smaller initial print run for TABULA IDEM’s book. If we receive more pledges to fund an extra excess of books, thank you all for the support! But if you for-sure want a hard copy of the book, be sure you pledge now and help fund our initial run!
- Shipping price adjustment! Since both editors will both be based in the same city come book production time, this will make inter-state collaboration much easier (as well as certain product shipping charges).
- This point isn’t so much a change as it is a disclaimer: our payment for the contributors has not - and will not - change. They are the voices that fuel and made TABULA IDEM come to life as a project, and by funding TABULA IDEM’s Kickstarter, you’re helping these artists work by the means they want to endeavor.
Why not use another immediate crowdfunding website, you might be thinking? Both editors have used, assisted with, and ran successful Kickstarters before, and we enjoy its form of all-or-nothing funding. as well as their general platform operation. We would rather have our entire budget available and be ready to work with rather than only receiving some funds and have a lacking amount to both pay artists and enact reward fulfillment.
It’s hard to get your footing after an initial loss- but you get back up, rework your project, and commit to both the product you’re funding, the people you’re inspiring, and the artists who’ve worked and continue to work hard.
If you have any more detailed or further questions about the changes to the Kickstarter or TABULA IDEM’s relaunch, shoot us a message and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
- Ashanti Fortson
- Val Wise
- Laura Lee
- CJ Walker
- Van Weasel
- Shoona Browning
- Nero O'Reilly
- Mister Loki & Jahna Vaughan
- Petra Nordlund & Muura
- Andi Santagata
- Haley/Ivan Kasof
- Gillian Pascasio
- Alain Helmers
- gray "Dupe" folie
- Lin & Capp
- Dante L. & H. Pueyo
- Steve Foxe & Andrew Drilon
- Lorena Reyes
- Kat Gesiriech & Jenn St-Onge
- Maia Kobabe & Alexandra Genetti
- d. Marie Licea
- Adam V Massimiano & Lauren Dombrowski
- KaiXJu (cover)
- Grey White (endpapers)
Compared to our initial Kickstarter, we’ve been able to drastically reduce the budget thanks to our refocus on the comic anthology. While our payment for the artists and book production remain our primary focuses, we also want to have a significant cushion for all of our categories from shipment to emergency surplus.
The TABULA IDEM book will be an estimated 240 pages with 22 stories, initially printed in black and white greyscale at Standard American Graphic Novel Size (6.625”x10.25”). ***NOTE: if you would like an extra book onto any tier, simply add $20 to tiers starting at MIGHTY MAGUS (also includes EARLY BIRD)! ***
If we break our first stretch goal of $36k, any goal that has the bookplate included in its rewards pledge will be eligible for a single tarot deck (with no increase to shipping, just say yes/no in the survey)!
Two figures of different Major Arcana come together to keep your place in the book! Double sided and printed on sturdy matte paper stock.
A pack of four postcards modeled after the four different suits of a tarot deck! These are all formatted to either be mailed, or treasured as an individual art piece.
A new addition to the rewards! This 13”x19” poster will show all 22 cards in full color with their titles, all displayed for your eyes to feast on.
A custom herbal tea to match the themes of TABULA IDEM! Tea leaf readings have been a form of divination for centuries, and this USDA organic loose-leaf tea (1-2 steeps per amount) harkens back to the warmth of a good book. Herbal and decaf, it will primarily feature chamomile in the blend to put you in the mood to read comics, pull a few tarot cards, or both!
Since our initial goal is lower in TABULA IDEM’s relaunch, we’re aiming to hype up our stretch goals to not only bring you comics, but also more great queer tarot products! Starting with...
TAROT DECKS NOW UNLOCKED FOR TIERS STARTING AT THE $35 "MIGHTY MAGUS" LEVEL AS OPTIONAL ADD-ONS WITH SURVEY ANSWERS (includes Early Bird pledges)!
Unlocked at our first goal of $36k, any tier starting at "MIGHTY MAGUS" and above will have 1 tarot deck (unless stated otherwise on your selected tier) eligible to be added onto their rewards package for no extra shipping charge! ***NOTE: this will also include those of you who pledged for the EARLY BIRD tier!***
As a currently Kickstarter-exclusive item, the tarot deck will feature all 22 cards of the Major Arcana in full color, printed on sturdy card stock that displays each piece of art in high and astronomical quality.
At both the $39k and $43k markers, each contributing artist (not just team!) will be able to earn a $50 bonus onto their total sum, with $43k increasing that $50 to a $100 bonus!
4/28: ARTIST BONUS #1 UNLOCKED FOR $50 PAYMENT INCREASE PER ARTIST!
5/01: ARTIST BONUS #2 UNLOCKED FOR $100 PAYMENT INCREASE PER ARTIST!
This is our way of paying the artists for all their hard work while providing more exciting material for stretch goals, such as...
At the $41k mark, we’ll be able to not only afford printing the deck and paying our artists more, but also include full color pages of each tarot card at the end of their stories, displayed in beautiful CMYK color to breathe even more life into the book!
4/30: COLOR PAGE INSERTS UNLOCKED! ALL TAROT IMAGE SPLASH PAGES WILL BE IN FULL COLOR IN THE BOOK!
As our piece de resistance and dream goals, we can’t help but dream of a gold foil tarot tuck box for the 22 cards- a pristine home for gorgeously queer cards that’ll last through the years. What'll it look like? Let's unlock it to find out!
At $46k, this is our last currently-revealed stretch goal. Will there be more? Only busting through these amounts will reveal the future!
Iris Jay (she/they) has been putting comics online since 2005. A Sequential Arts SCAD grad and three-time self-publisher, she currently lives and works in Seattle, Washington with her husband Nero O'Reilly and two perfect cat children. Check out her home ON THE GRID at irisjay.net.
Mia/Hye M. (they/she, also known as explodinghye) is a queer 23 year old west coaster who attended Academy of Art University in San Francisco, and for whom graphic design is truly their passion. Enraptured by tarot for their own practices and study, they also helmed Pacific Arcana, a successfully Kickstarted anthology-like tarot deck and companion book based around the 2013 sci-fi film Pacific Rim. You can usually find them buried in an InDesign file, engrossed in a new comic book, or an Illustrator canvas plotting their next project.
- Each and every contributor from beginning to relaunch rennovation, for all their work invested into both comic panel and card artwork.
- Thanks to Wren for her song video music: "interlude" (Available on the bandcamp album "somnium")
- From Iris, to Hye: for having the patience to deal with me- and to Nero, as ever, for cheering me on, for being awesome, and putting up with me.
- From Hye, to Iris: whose keen eye for storytelling and willingness to work will always inspire me as an editor and creator. I'll never be aple to repay you for the support you gave during my family emergency while we worked on this Kickstarter.
- To the kids at Phoenix Comics in Capitol Hill- quality folks who love indie and queer artists! If in Seattle sometime, go throw a few gallons of money at them!
- To Isotope Comics in San Francisco; thank you for your support, the laughs, and your constant enthusiasm for creators and comics alike.
- Our peers, colleagues, and friends, whose excitement for TABULA IDEM was infectious, and pushed us to keep working during the heaviest of workloads.
- TABULA IDEM's queer literary predecessors; from the anthology self-publishing pioneers and the booming independent comics scene (both web and print alike), thank you for existing, producing, inspiring, and creating the content that you want to see in the world.
- To our dear readers who are both old and new, who follow us into the future with your own destiny in hand, thank you for holding your hand high for support and for your faith in this project.
Risks and challenges
As we've said on the former Kickstarter, both editors have run their own, and/or contributed to Kickstarters before, and are fully aware of pre-press requirements. We're familiar with all pre-press, printer requirements, and other details required for book production, and how much we need a shipping cushion! There is always room for hiccups in production- printer delays, shipping impediments, proof adjustments, file fixes- but all internal comics, cards, and external tiers are ready to go.
We've reworked the budget inside and out for the relaunch and, since putting our focus inherently on the comics, you can be assured we've looked the numbers up and down and back around.
You will be notified of each major step-by-step during our production cycle through Kickstarter updates- as always, if you have any questions, we're ready and willing to help how we can.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)