+ DISCLAIMER: while the following Kickstarter page contains censoring of depicted artworks, the book it advertises contains explicit, NSFW sexual content and is for adult readers only. Please do not back this Kickstarter if you are under 18, or are wildly startled by the idea of demon erotica. +
Got that? Excellent.
WELCOME TO THE BOOK OF SHADOWS SERIES, AND OUR FIRST INSTALLATION: BUFFOMET.
Conceptualized by Nero O'Reilly and co-edited by Iris Jay and EX HYE, Book of Shadows is a new artbook spot color erotica series that aims to put LGBTQIA+ creators at its forefront for all contribution, consumption, and revelry in the divine, the delicious, and the decadent. Starting off hardback and at 8.5x10.5", the interior is constructed to contain artbook layouts, with some pieces boasting companion prose, rites, and rituals to expand on the world of their art.
Historically and culturally, many LGBTQ+ identities and sexual orientations were often deemed "heretical," "demonic," or aligned with some sort of malignant and sinful deities judged by a majority of heteronormative society.
Book of Shadows asks: fine. Why DON'T we live deliciously as possible, then?
Made possible by a pun and tying in perfectly to Book of Shadows' first subject, it's what's on the tin: you want an artbook filled to the brim with fine art of depictions of delectable demons in the style of Baphomet(s)? You're gonna get it.
BUFFOMET is Book of Shadows' first main "character"/prompt figure for the Book of Shadows series, featuring greyscale illustrations with a spot color of Pantone 246 C. Our creators took inspiration everywhere from the classical origins of the hellish Lord of the Gates of Matter, to the more pop-cultural renditions of the goat-like god.
With some pieces featuring their own companion prose of lore behind their unique "Buffomets," the demons inside include all nonbinary, genderqueer, genderfluid, transgender, and other GNC/LGBTQIA+ renditions of these demons to fulfill Book of Shadows' main purpose- the celebration and embracing of queer sexuality as beautifully rendered by our 40+ contributors.
(Due to the nature of this project, some contributor aliases are not published on this Kickstarter page, nor are various social media sites linked upon a creator's request. A full accreditation of all contributors, however, will be found in the final printed book.)
- SAINT VAGRANT (Twitter, site)
- blackshirtboy (DA, fA)
- Dobes Crusher | DobesAD (site)
- Artdecade (Patreon)
- ghostgreen (Twitter)
- Duchess of Beefcake (Twitter, Patreon)
- TK | charmophron/charmophron69
- 2-ee | laceneonversace
- Cameron Lucente (Twitter, Instagram)
- L.B. Stardust | Fluxom (Twitter)
- Apollo (Twitter, Patreon)
- Penny Darkhugs (Twitter, Mastodon)
- BW Usagi (Twitter, Patreon)
- Ovens & JB3 (site)
- Feriowind (+18)
- D.J. Kirkland
- Laura Graves
- Blue Delliquanti
- Surya Asura (Tumblr, Twitter)
- Rye-Eliot O’Daly Castro | cockatriceKING
- Alienfirst | Otachistongue (Twitter)
- Adam Peerbaye (Tumblr, Twitter)
- Lacey Brannen
- Jon Cairns (Twitter, Instagram)
- Baphink (Instagram)
- Tequila Zest
- Al Neun
- A. laVey
- Kory Bing (Twitter, Instagram)
- Jack T. Cole (Twitter)
- Hannako | Wasteland
What does it take to make something like Book of Shadows: Buffomet? We're glad you asked.
Our biggest costs not only include artist compensation and book production, but also shipping in its state of constant flux. We want to ensure that these books get to you in the safest way possible and must also account for possible shipping rate variances coming out of the United States, so we've taken special account to try and iron out all the expenses we might need to account for.
Hardback, extra stock paper, 8.5x10.5", and a spot color of Pantone 246 C; not only are the demons inside luscious themselves, but so is the book to have, to hold, and to admire the art within.
Over 100+ pages of demonic content and with custom designed assets for various demons per page, your bookshelf will thank you for hosting this amongst its company.
Or possibly burst into pinkish flames. Whichever comes first.
Mark yourself as a follower of the BOOK OF SHADOWS series with our first enamel pin! At 2" wide and using Pantone-dyed metal of the same spot color as our book's interior, this pin has a chain running underneath The Deity's tongue and connecting on the other side. There will only be one run of these soft enamel, epoxy-coated pins manufactured, so get them while they're hot!
Want one for a friend? Add $12 onto your ENAMORED ENAMEL tier pledge!
Beautifully rendered by interior contributor JT Cole, this 11x17" poster is also the endpapers for the actual BUFFOMET tome. It comes pre-folded in your book to ensure safe shipment travels, and is a magickal envisioning of a Night of Debauchery, Night on Bald Mountain-level demonic night on the town.
It's so risque and has so many little details, we can't even show you the full thing on Kickstarter.
BOOK OF SHADOWS: BUFFOMET would not exist without the works of its LGBTQ+ creators. That's why most of our stretch goals focus on raises to the contributors' page rate, but we also have some treats for the book we have planned...
This is our most prominent stretch goal we have featured for the campaign- and for good reason! We're an independently-powered micropress out of Seattle and want to not only bring you this book, but also reimburse the artists how we can for all their hard work they invested into this delicious project.
1st ARTIST STRETCH GOAL: $27,000 || 2nd ARTIST STRETCH GOAL: $30,000 || 3rd ARTIST STRETCH GOAL: $35,000 || 4th ARTIST STRETCH GOAL: $43,000
When we break our initial stretch goal bar/thermometer, we'll announce new goals/artist payments to set for Baphbino to keep track of!
This book has been designed to be as luxurious as possible, sure: but what if it was even MORE delicious?
Possibly gilded page edges to match the same Pantone color in the book? A book ribbon to mark your last page? The cover converted into a beautiful spot-gloss rendition of cover artist Nero O'Reilly's artwork? Comin' up- with your help!
Since we want to put the focus on both the artists and showcasing their work in the most beautiful way possible, our 2nd focus for stretch goals is enhancing the book to the best it can be!
1st BOOK STRETCH GOAL (GILDED PAGE EDGES): $33,000 || 2nd BOOK STRETCH GOAL (BOOK RIBBON & SPOT GLOSS): $40,000
Maybe even a velvet bag to seal away this tome? Who knows. We have some Plans.
A small additional token for every physical tier! This sticker will be 5" at its tallest point and made of waterproof vinyl; for all the times you need to decorate your goods with a devilish little imp. Take good care of Baphbino; he's got a long way to go in his quest.
NERO O'REILLY, (he/him) the Master of the BOOK OF SHADOWS, is an indigenous Panamanian erotic comics-maker and illustrator. His decade of professional experience includes working on graphic novels, making webcomics, sketching pin-ups, and reading far too much. He lives in Seattle, WA.
IRIS JAY (she/they) is a professional cartoonist and writer who was previously one half of the editing team for Fortuna Media's queer tarot anthology TABULA IDEM. She's helped kickstart four books and currently has a hand in creating three ongoing webcomic series. She lives in Seattle, WA, but also keeps a summer villa in the suburbs of Pandemonium.
EX HYE (they/she) is a queer Armenian graphic designer, editor, and business/technical administrator in the PNW with a taste for tea, tarot, and replying to as many emails as possible in one day. A server by day and typesetter by night, they’re the EIC of Fortuna Media that began with TABULA IDEM, continues with the Almost Real zine series and more, still seeking to create cohesive, collaborative works that give worthy frames to the beauty found in the art that graces their micropress’ pages.
- To every single contributor who graced Book of Shadows: Buffomet's pages with their labors of love. This book would not exist without you, and by the works of your hands were the demons you hosted reveled over in the pale moonlight.
- From EX HYE, to my Book of Thoth tarot deck. You showed me the beauty of what demons and lords could be when the scales were falling from my eyes, and partially allowed my life to become more delicious than I could ever dream of.
- To Artspace, from Iris and Nero: thank you for allowing us to devote time in our busy schedules to long term, intensely niche projects like this.
- To Pearl, our portrait artist. We've never felt spookier.
- From EX HYE, to my co-editors Iris Jay and Nero O'Reilly. My life would not nearly be as delicious without your friendship, wisdom of your respective crafts, and the endless love that I thank whatever deity brought us all together.
- Iron Spike of Iron Circus Comics for introducing and inventing the artist bonus model on Kickstarter.
- To the coastal Salish peoples whose land we live and exist on as a PNW-based micropress, and specifically the Duwamish Tribe where Seattle lies and its leaders have never recognized despite this. We acknowledge that we are here where your lands and peoples are without permission and colonialist invasion, and we urge our backers to be aware of the plight of erasure the Salish/Duwamish face against climate change and assimilation.
- To the organizers of Kickstarter United and those who still currently work at Kickstarter- we wish you solidarity, success, and expediency in the approval of your union in defiance and camaraderie against the wishes of your CEO. Kickstarter is a platform that exists solely to crowdfund through a show of solidarity and support behind a product and/or idea, and while we respect your wishes for creators to currently not boycott this platform, we will answer your calls until Kickstarter achieves unionization.
Risks and challenges
Between Fortuna Media's track record and the experiences of all three editors, we all have almost 10 successfully-funded Kickstarters under our belt. We are no strangers to the crowdfunding strategies required to make a successful campaign, pre-press, and project fulfillment!
The only main problem that we could face would be shipping; while the United States will not be leaving the Postage Treaty and rates won't fluctuate as hard, rates may or may not fluctuate, and times may space out from delivery from the printing manufacturer to us in Seattle. We'll be sure to keep you all posted with constant updates, and letting you know our progress to get Buffomet into your hands.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)