This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Fri, August 31 2018 4:59 PM UTC +00:00.
Nightscape Press is proud to present ASHES AND ENTROPY edited by Robert S. Wilson, an anthology of cosmic horror and noir/neo-noir. ASHES AND ENTROPY will include brand new stories by Laird Barron, Damien Angelica Walters, John Langan, Kristi DeMeester, Jon Padgett, Jayaprakash Satyamurthy, Lucy A. Snyder, Tim Waggoner, Jessica McHugh, Paul Michael Anderson, Max Booth III, Lynne Jamneck, Greg Sisco, Lisa Mannetti, Nate Southard, Erinn L. Kemper, Matthew M. Bartlett, Autumn Christian, and will be published in December of 2018.
ASHES AND ENTROPY will also be illustrated by the phenomenal Luke Spooner of Carrion House Illustration (Luke also created the Kickstarter artwork). As you can see, Luke is an amazing artist. You might have also noticed that we have not showcased a cover for ASHES AND ENTROPY yet. This is because we are simultaneously running a cover art contest for the book. You can go here for more details about that.
We have a variety of great perks to offer including the following:
- Two trade paperback editions (both a black and white and a color edition) and an eBook edition of ASHES AND ENTROPY (copies of the anthology combined with other items in perks will most likely not be available before December regardless of the month listed on those perks).
- Signed items and books of all kind, including some out of print editions.
- Kickstarter-exclusive chapbooks of each individual story in the book signed, numbered, and limited to just ten copies each.
- A one of a kind Jon Padgett hardcover including his story in ASHES AND ENTROPY "Yellow House" and his forthcoming Nightscape Press Charitable Chapbook THE BROKER OF NIGHTMARES (plus three alternate versions of this amazing novelette. These alternate versions will never be in print elsewhere and offer an unprecedented depth-filled look into this bleak terrifying story, offering twisted eye-opening reflections of the final product along with a short introduction by the author to each version discussing what went into the decision process of determining their fate).
- Some phenomenal creative perks like story critiques by some of the authors in ASHES AND ENTROPY and special stories created for you and/or with you as a character by John Langan, Tim Waggoner, and Jayaprakash Satyamurthy.
- Kick back by the beach with your copy of Ashes and Entropy while you take a Nightscape Press vacation in beautiful Costa Rica.
- Become an executive editor and help me put together a future anthology. Learn how the entire process unfolds from behind the scenes while getting a co-editing credit and some great books.
And once we're funded, we'll also have some exciting stretch goals including pay rate increases for the authors, alternate covers, a limited edition hardcover edition, the addition of two open slots in the book to writers from underrepresented demographics, and some jaw-dropping super secret stretch goals as well!
ASHES AND ENTROPY is a big book and it has been my intention from day one of working on this project to pay the authors that fill its pages absolutely nothing less than the SFWA-qualifying pro rate of 6 cents per word. You put those two items together along with the scope of artwork commissioned and add in a budget for promotion that attempts to meet the high bar of excellence of the talent involved in these stories and you end up with a fairly hefty tab.
That said, we would like to think both the book itself and the variety of amazing perks we're offering will make this budget an achievable goal. And, since we value transparency, here is our budget broken down for clarity.
- Author payments: $6,000
- Cover art, interior art, and marketing: $4,500
- Fees, taxes, and estimated cost to cover perks and shipping: $4,500
Stretch Goal List:
Check out our super cryptic list of planned stretch goals! We'll reveal more secrets as we meet certain thresholds.
#1: $16,500: Open submissions for two slots for writers from underrepresented demographics in Ashes and Entropy during the month of September.
#2: $**,000: [REDACTED] alternate [REDACTED] from the [REDACTED] runner [REDACTED] .
#3: $**,000: Wide open [REDACTED].
#4: $**,500: [SECRET REVEALED] All color trade paperback donors have the free option to upgrade to color Kickstarter-exclusive hardcovers!
#5: $**,000: [REDACTED] Charitable Chapbook line [REDACTED].
#6: $**,000: Audiobook edition of the anthology narrated by Jon Padgett (digital version of audiobook will be added to every perk $10 or more), authors pay raised to 12 cents per word to include audio rights.
#7: $**,000: Final stretch goal: [REDACTED] edited by [REDACTED].
Risks and challenges
I have been laying the groundwork for this anthology for over two years as it was initially scheduled to be published by another company. But publishing is a complex and expensive business and so when the publisher who was originally signed on was in a bind, an amicable decision to split ways was made and I was back at square one.
After reaching out to several publishers who in the end told me they were not willing to take on the risk and cost of this book (it's a rare publisher willing to pay pro rates for short stories these days unfortunately), I brought the project to my wife and Nightscape Press co-owner, Jennifer Wilson. And after a lot of discussion and brainstorming and planning, we decided to publish the project ourselves.
And while Nightscape Press has never published a project with these kind of budgetary requirements (we have mostly published and/or collaborated on charity anthologies in the past), we have what it takes to create some amazingly solid books. Some past successes include:
HORROR FOR GOOD edited by Robert S. Wilson, Mark C. Scioneaux, and RJ Cavender (which contributes to amfAR the Foundation for AIDS Research and includes stories by authors such as Ramsey Campbell, Jack Ketchum, Joe Lansdale, Lisa Morton, Laird Barron, F. Paul Wilson, Nate Southard, Ray Garton, and more).
WORLD'S COLLIDER edited by Richard Salter (a shared world horror/sci-fi anthology which includes stories by authors such as Steven Savile, James Moran, Aaron Rosenberg, Trent Zelazny, Jonathan Green, Simon Kurt Unsworth, Kelly Hale, Richard Wright and more).
BLOOD TYPE: An Anthology of Vampire SF on the Cutting Edge edited by Robert S. Wilson (which contributes to The Cystic Fibrosis Trust and includes stories by authors such as Peter Watts, Laird Barron, William F. Nolan, Tim Waggoner, Amelia Mangan, Stephen Graham Jones, Michael Collings, Mike Resnick, Jilly Paddock, Taylor Grant, H.E. Roulo, and more).
FANTASY FOR GOOD edited by Richard Salter and Jordan Ellinger (which contributes to The Colorectal Cancer Alliance and includes stories by the likes of George R.R. Martin, Roger Zelazny, Carrie Vaughn, Kelley Armstrong, Alan Dean Foster, Piers Anthony, Michael Moorcock, Katharine Kerr, David Farland, Jane Lindskold, Nnedi Okorafor, Todd McCaffrey, Jay Lake, Kevin J Anderson & Rebecca Moesta, Neil Gaiman, and more).
After a two-year hiatus, Nightscape Press has recently relaunched with our new charity publishing model that will include (at least) two lines of books: our Charitable Chapbooks line and our charity novel line. Producing books for charity can be a lot of work and is expensive with little to no return for our company. While this book is not for charity, any profits made from its publication will go toward our other projects and will help us immensely to produce more and more great works for charity.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!