Want to check out the system right now and see what it's all about? Click here or head over to blackhat-games.com/downloads to download the Starter Edition PDF right now, for free. It includes the basic rules, weapons, gear, steeds, and a starter adventure to get your game going.
The full-game PDF will be included at the $20 tier and above!
Mud, Blood, & Glory is a tabletop role playing game set in the American west in the 1880s. It is designed from the ground up to be accessible and inviting to players of all experience levels. With Mud, Blood, & Glory, anyone can sit down and get started in minutes — no experience required. Form a posse, saddle up, and hit the trail!
Mud, Blood, & Glory is designed for 3 - 8 people to play. Most players will take on the role of outlaws, brigands, and bandits of the old west. One person will be the game master who will create the world and curate the narrative experience for the players.
We want to make games that everyone can enjoy, no matter their experience level or play style. We want people to feel like they can sit down and play a tabletop role playing game without having to ask someone else or look up a guide online for explanation.
This philosophy guided our design of Mud, Blood, & Glory. Every rule and aspect of the game was designed so that someone brand new to the world of tabletop gaming would find it approachable. This means we wrote the rules in simple language, without using terms that are specific to tabletop gaming culture — even then, we included a glossary to define any terms we thought could be confusing. If you forget a rule or choose to leave one out, Mud, Blood, & Glory will still be fun and playable.
Our Design Philosophy:
- Make it simple
- Make it approachable
- Make it fun
Mud, Blood, & Glory takes place during the early 1880s: a time of great change in the American west. The frontier is being reined in by the railroad, distant communities are being connected by telegraph, and great wealth is being discovered and extracted from the land. Folks of all kinds see the western expanse as a land of opportunity — a chance to earn a decent, honest living away from the newly industrialized cities of the east.
Other folks felt the confines of lawful living were too restrictive of their dreams. These ordinary people forged new identities and became the legendary figures of western lore. Belle Star, Billy the Kid, the Wild Bunch, and more like them struck out against the laws of the land and took the riches of others for themselves. You will play as one of these outlaws: will you be a slick gunslinger, a smooth talker with a heart of gold, a calculating mastermind, a rugged survivalist, or something more? Do you have what it takes to live and die in infamy?
The handbook has the basic rules, the advanced rules, the game master guide, a starter adventure, and the character sheets. Everything you need, all in one spot. The handbook also includes all of the items, weapons, animals, vehicles, and anything else you might come across during your adventures.
Both rulesets provide easy to understand explanations of how everything in Mud, Blood, & Glory works from character creation to combat to wilderness survival.
The game master guide provides everything a game master needs to get started. This includes templates for baddies and non-player characters, as well as useful tips, how-to’s, and walkthroughs for some of the more challenging aspects of running any tabletop game.
At the end of the game master’s section is a starter adventure to get your game going and give you a good look at how to build your own adventure in Mud, Blood, & Glory. Brand new players and game masters can sit down, create characters in just minutes, and use the starter adventure to get playing right away.
In this handbook:
- Character Creation Guide and Character Sheets
- Basic Rules
- Advanced Rules
- Game Master Guide
- Starter Adventure
- All of the items, animals, vehicles, and materials you need
Mud, Blood, & Glory has easy to use character creation and progression systems that keep the focus on role play and narrative game experience, while still giving players enough material to really flesh out their characters. Mud, Blood, & Glory uses a set of polyhedral dice to handle all of the rolls, but keeps the modifiers simple and makes tracking character stats a breeze.
Characters have 6 main Abilities: Shooting, Grit, Brains, Instincts, Charm, and Luck.
- Shooting is how quick you are on your feet and with your gun. Shooting directly modifies any attack rolls made with firearms.
- Grit is how tough you are. The higher your Grit score, the more health you have and the easier it is for you to overpower enemies in a brawl.
- Brains is your book smarts. Any sort of skill requiring a bit of textbook knowledge gets a bonus from a good Brains score.
- Instincts is your street smarts. A high Instincts score will give a feeling in your gut when something is about to go down.
- Charm is your ability to smooth talk your way into and out of tight situations. Any time you want to lie, convince, or otherwise appeal to someone, it's good to have a high Charm score.
- Luck is your ability to turn the tides of fate in your favor. You can spend a point of Luck at any time to re-roll any 1 die. After you've spent a point of Luck, you must take a rest before you can do so again.
The Abilities each have related Talents, which a character can specialize in to hone their skills. A Talent like Lasso, for example, makes a character much better at roping animals and people. The Leadership Talent lets characters encourage their allies in battle and lead the charge.
You can check out all of the Talents below on the character sheet.
Combat in Mud, Blood, & Glory keeps it simple. Every character makes a Draw roll (which is based on your Shooting score) to see how fast you can get into combat. The highest score goes first, and the lowest goes last.
Every turn, you can make one full action, or two half actions. Firing your gun once is a half action, so you can take two shots per turn. The available actions vary depending on what ruleset you are using. The advanced rules have some more complicated actions for more experienced players.
Players can aim to maim or disarm their enemies with more tactical shots. Some characters might prefer to throw blades or toss in a stick of dynamite — both of which can have deadly consequences.
The handbook provides a set of basic rules and a series of advanced rules. The basic rules are everything you need to play a full, thrilling game of Mud, Blood, & Glory. They are great for new players and game masters to get their bearings, for seasoned players to sit back and enjoy the role play, or to just get a quick game going in minutes.
The advanced rules provide more intricacy and challenge for folks who are looking to turn up the heat. All of the advanced rules work independently and with one another, so you can pick and choose which advanced rulesets fit your style. You can even add and remove rulesets part way through an adventure to fine tune your experience.
Every ruleset in the advanced rules builds off of the basic rules and works alone or in conjunction with any other advanced ruleset. If your group is looking for a tough adventure of wilderness survival, use the Survival, Weather, and Conditions rulesets to enhance the experience. If you want a tactical combat experience, add on the Advanced Combat and Inventory rules. Or, if you want to experience everything the west has to offer, go all out and use every advanced ruleset.
- The basic rules are great for new players and game masters, seasoned players looking for more role play, and quick games.
- The advanced rules add levels challenge and intricacy for experienced players.
- Mix & match rulesets to fit your style.
Just like everything else in the game, the progression system in Mud, Blood, & Glory is designed to be simple and easy to use. As players make their way through the adventure and role play, the game master gives them Experience. That Experience can be spent to unlock Exploits that give players new abilities, enhance existing abilities, or add to the player’s role play. As players become more infamous by making a name for themselves and their posse, their Notoriety Level increases, unlocking new Exploits for purchase.
- 11 Notoriety Levels - Go from a Drifter to Most Wanted
- 100+ Exploits to Unlock - Pick and choose skills that fit your character and your taste
- Easy to Understand Progression - Outlaws don't do paperwork
This progression system has no classes and does not require the players to make any decisions about their long-term character build before they start playing. This keeps character creation simple and approachable for players new to tabletop gaming and Mud, Blood, & Glory. The leveling system lets characters grow and evolve as the players get more comfortable with the game. It will also keep players entertained, and get them excited to make new character builds over multiple adventures.
Notoriety Levels use a milestone leveling system — there is no set Experience threshold a character must meet to gain the next level, they just need to make a name for themselves. This kind of leveling system discourages players from doing something just for the Experience reward and encourages deeper role play and character development. With each new Notoriety Level, players gain access to a new set of Exploits to purchase.
Exploits are skills that characters can purchase with earned Experience. Want to learn the banjo? Take the Musician Exploit. Want to be able to control dogs in combat? Take the Dogs of War Exploit. Exploits let players customize and build characters without having to worry about classes. One character might be a jack of all trades, another might be specialized as the group's surgeon — all styles of play are supported in Mud, Blood, & Glory.
We are only interested in shipping you a well made, lovingly crafted handbook. The Mud, Blood, & Glory handbook will be a hardcover, 8.5" by 11" book, with full color, glossy pages printed using offset printing — the industry standard for high quality games.
We have decided to include a full game PDF at all levels that are getting the physical book. The PDF will be included, for free, for anyone who backs at the $40 level or above, in addition to all the other perks.
Mud, Blood, & Glory is meant to be a physical experience. Flipping through a hardcover handbook to look up items and rules is the classic tabletop experience. But waiting sucks. That’s why we are making the Starter Edition PDF.
The Starter Edition PDF doesn’t include everything in the official handbook, but it has the basic character creation guide, the first two character levels, and some basic items to get your adventure started while you wait for the handbook to be delivered. If the Kickstarter is successful, the Starter Edition PDF will be delivered digitally within one month.
Our stretch goals are all for additional written content for the existing game. The first three stretch goals, should they be unlocked, will be included in the physical handbook at no additional cost to you. The final stretch goal will be released digitally through our website, blackhat-games.com, for free.
- $30,000 - Additional Starter Adventures - We will expand the existing starter adventure and add 2 more adventures to give you more ways to explore the different features of the game. The three adventures will provide unique challenges and storylines for you and your friends to enjoy.
- $40,000 - White Hats Expansion - Saddle up, sheriff. You are the law now. This expansion will let you play as someone on the right side of the law, working your way from a vigilante to a federal agent. It can be used for standalone adventures or alongside the core game. White Hats will provide about 50 more Exploits for players to use.
- $50,000 - Myths & Legends Expansion - Sasquatch, Chupacabra, Skinwalkers, Wendigo, and more stalk the land. Will you fight for the light or give into the madness? This expansion can be used for standalone adventures or alongside the core game. Myths & Legends will provide about 20 more Exploits, in addition to mythical and legendary items and creatures to be featured in your adventures.
- $60,000 - Monthly Adventures for 1 Year - Monthly adventures released through the Black Hat Games website, for free! These adventures will use a range of rulesets and present varying challenges for players and game masters of all skill levels. The adventures will vary in length, anywhere from one-shots to multi-session stories.
We have the game written. We need you to help us fund high quality off-set printing, further playtesting and editing, and more fantastic design.
The game is there, it just needs a push over the finish line.
You can connect with us on Instagram @blackhat.games
Risks and challenges
While this is the first game we are bringing to market, we have been planning this launch for a long time, and we are not going into this campaign blind to its challenges. We are working with the best printers and distributors to help ensure this game gets to you on schedule. To avoid speed bumps in delivering the game to you, we have decided to focus our efforts on releasing the best possible version of our game rather than making extra materials and goodies for perks. We don’t want to overburden ourselves with promises of secondary products or services that could bring the main goal of this project to a halt. We are minimizing our risk by promising only what we know we can deliver: one great game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)