About this project
Thank you to all our backers for the amazing support! If you missed out on the Supraflux Stabilizer Kickstarter campaign you can still order one at www.supraflux.com
If you shoot video, you probably know that you need a stabilizer to get professional-looking footage that is smooth and stable. A stabilizer allows you to get that gliding camera effect, and ensures you don't get shaky amateur-looking footage that gives viewers a headache.
Unfortunately, most stabilizers require a lot of experience to operate properly.
Direction changes and panning are some of the biggest challenges when shooting with a stabilizer. The goal of a stabilizer is to keep the camera steady by absorbing your movements. So when it comes to turns, this effect actually keeps the camera from turning with you. When you want the camera to turn, you have to use your fingers to change the stabilizer's direction; thereby destabilizing the camera. It takes lots of practice to get stable direction changes using this method and even then, sometimes you ruin an otherwise great shot. Until now.
A revolutionary new way to film: The Brake
We set out to design a device that allows you to turn the camera without upsetting its balance. The result is the Supraflux Stabilizer with The Brake (patent pending). The Brake gives you complete control of turns by locking one axis of the stabilizer at the touch of a button. The other 2 axes remain free-floating continuing to stabilize the camera.
The result is a completely seamless transition from free to locked and complete control of your camera. This means you can turn the camera exactly how you want, when you want. No more touching the stabilizer and ruining the shot. This will change the way you film.
Super smooth footage
Thanks to precision-machined aviation-grade aluminum and virtually frictionless ball bearings on all rotating parts, the results are incredible stabilization and professional looking footage. The adjustable central bearing means the Supraflux stabilizer can be perfectly balanced in all directions as opposed to many stabilizers that will get out of balance when rotated.
Easy to setup and use
- Balancing the camera is made easy with the top stage micro-adjustment mechanisms in both directions. To move the camera, all you need to do is turn the adjustment knobs. One turn of the knob moves the stage by 0.03" (0.8mm). No more frustrating back and forth adjustment.
- You can precisely know when the camera is balanced by using the integrated bubble level on the bottom plate instead of looking at the shaft and trying to make it look straight.
- It's faster and easier to remove the camera with the slide-out camera mounting plate. No more losing the mounting bolts. Just loosen them and pull the mounting plate up.
- The non-slip rubber surface on the top stage keeps your camera secure and prevents it from shifting and destabilizing the balance.
- Changing the counterweights is easy with the slide-out weights. No need to remove the bolts, just loosen them and slide out to remove or slide in to add weight. You can even do it with the stabilizer standing up.
- Two different weight sizes allow you to precisely setup your stabilizer and give you options for the exact setup you want (more inertia, shorter compact setup, etc.)
- The multi-position bottom plate lets you fine tune the inertia of the setup so that it feels right for you and for the type of shot you're taking. Outer position for more stability, inner position for nimble direction changes.
- The telescopic tube allows for a very precise setup of the dynamic handling of the stabilizer. This means you can perfectly balance any camera weighing 0.25lbs (115g) to 10 lbs (4.5kg).
- We added graduation marks on the tube to be used as a reference when fine tuning the stabilizer. It is also a convenient way to remember your setup when changing cameras.
- We also made sure that standard setup and adjustments don't require any tools. No more screwdrivers to install your camera.
Compatible with a huge range of cameras
The Supraflux stabilizer will work with virtually all cameras ranging from 0.25 lbs to 10lbs. This means iPhones and smartphones, GoPro cameras, point-and-shoot cameras, microsystems or mirrorless cameras, smaller DSLR and big DSLR, the RED cameras, semi-pro and pro video cameras will work great (see FAQ below). This stabilizer is built to grow with you for years of use.
Light, compact, rugged and durable
The Supraflux stabilizer remains light (3.2 lbs without counterweights) thanks to its aluminum construction. With the telescopic tube collapsed, the stabilizer is less than 15" tall and dismantles easily to fit in a carrying case or bag.
The black anodization on the aluminum provides a tough finish to protect the surfaces from the elements and during transportation.
Why we need you
We have spent months designing and building prototypes, selecting materials and testing functionality. We now have a fully functional prototype. The Supraflux stabilizer is an incredible machine and we think you will love it! We have all the engineering drawings and the suppliers have provided quotes. Now we need your help with funding so we can do a large enough production run in to be able to keep the manufacturing costs down.
Who we are
We launched a project on Kickstarter last summer: The Picosteady. It was successfully funded in August and by the end of October we had manufactured, packed and shipped to all our backers.
We got lots of tremendous feedback from backers and the media. We learned a lot, gained an enormous amount of experience and solidified our relationships with suppliers. Thank you for helping us make the Picosteady such a success.
"This is a great solution that deserves some recognition from both the industry as a whole as well as individual consumers." BitRebels-
"here’s a new one that looks quite promising. It’s small, versatile, and sports a moderate price tag." Hand Held Hollywood-
Now we are confident we will be delivering another great product to our backers with the Supraflux Stabilizer.
By pledging today, you are pre-ordering a Supraflux stabilizer from the first production run and making sure you receive it as early as possible. You are also locking in the special Kickstarter price of $595 ($150 off the retail price of $745). If you are among the first 100 people to pre-order the stabilizer, we will even give you an extra $100 off. All US & Canadian backers get FREE shipping.
Thank you so much for being a part of this project!
Please share with your family, friends and fellow amateur filmmakers!
Risks and challenges
The stabilizer is made of custom-machined parts and specialized hardware. We will be contracting the production of the custom parts to machine shops and will be purchasing specialized hardware from wholesale suppliers. We have quotes and production lead time estimates.
Manufacturing delays can be caused by the machine shops manufacturing the custom parts. We will reduce the risk by dealing with machine shops we know and trust. We also have multiple options in case we need to change suppliers. Our prior manufacturing experience is a great asset here.
To avoid damage in shipping we will be using high quality, thick-walled cardboard boxes. High density foam packing material will be used to ensure the parts cannot move and are secure inside the box. We've also chosen to anodize all the aluminum parts for extra durability.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (44 days)