About this project
- "It's really good, I've been using my laptop all day long without the normal shoulder and back pain"
- "The stand is super convenient–I toss it in my bag every day along with my thin Apple keyboard and track pad, and can quickly set up shop in the office, in coffee shops, wherever."
- "I need this product and don’t want to work without it."
- "I feel like a can work way longer, my back feels good, my eyes don’t strain."
- "Dude, I'm never using my MacBook Pro without The Roost ever again."
- "After a 2-day data-crunching gig that used to wreck me, I felt great this time [after using The Roost]. It was amazing."
Why do I need "The Roost"?
"The Roost" is truly portable, you will want to take it everywhere.
How does the Roost help me?
The Roost helps you by elevating your laptop screen to the correct height to prevent you from hunching. You will feel better, have better posture, and will be able to work longer at your laptop.
And The Roost is truly portable, you can take it anywhere.
- Extremely lightweight - 5 oz
- Extremely compact - folds down into a 1” x 1.5” x 13” package
- Super strong - made from Carbon Fiber and Delrin (a super plastic)
What is wrong with my laptop?
*** Laptops were never designed for long-term use! ***
It is virtually impossible to use a laptop without putting your body in a compromising and harmful position.
Laptop screens are far below eye height and are permanently attached to keyboard. This forces:
- The head and neck to extend forward
- The back to hunch
- The arms/hands to contort to the keyboard
This posture is unsustainable and many find out the hard way, including me. The very common side effects are:
- Carpal Tunnel, Cubital Tunnel ("Repetitive Strain Injuries" (RSI))
- Poor posture
- Constant staring at the ground (just kidding... sort of)
The Roost Total Case - New Product!
The Roost Total Case allows you to keep your Roost, portable keyboard, and mouse all organized in a minimalist, low-profile case. The total height of the case will be just over an inch. The case will be grey in color and made with a stiff and thin backing board, high quality elastic and mesh.
Add $20 to your current pledge to get the Roost Total Case with your Roost (Multiples of $20 if you want more than 1).
$200K Stretch Goal - All White Roost!
If the campaign reaches $200K (!!!), this All White Roost is available to all who ordered a Colored Roost ($70 reward). This Roost is super clean in All White. If the campaign reaches $200K, this version will be available to anyone who ordered a Colored Roost.
If you ordered a $65 Black Roost or an Early Bird, please add $5 to your pledge. You will be able to make your selection for the all white Roost in a survey I will be sending at the end of the campaign.
STRETCH GOAL - $100,000 - REACHED!
Microfiber Carrying Case for All
- Use it to clean that laptop screen!
- Constructed of durable yet super soft microfiber cloth
- Drawstring closure
The Roost in Action:
How do I use The Roost?
Will my laptop fit The Roost?
*** Please visit the Laptop Fitting Guide to verify your laptop ***
*** Note: The Roost fits laptops with 13" screen or greater ***
*** If you are not sure if your laptop will fit, please send me a message with the "Contact Me" button underneath my picture at top right of page ***
Color Options for The Roost:
*** If you order a colored Roost, you will receive a survey at the completion of the campaign, where you will select the color ***
Portable Keyboard and Mice:
Use The Roost with a portable bluetooth keyboard and wireless mouse.
My favorite mice:
- Evoluent Vertical Mouse, vertical mouse is a life-saver, greatly reduces strain on elbow
- Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse, folds down really flat, for easy packing.
My favorite bluetooth keyboards:
- Amazon Basics Kindle Keyboard, great keypad feel, easy on/off button
- Apple Wireless Keyboard, very well made, looks great, pricey
Why Made in USA, why Kickstarter?
Raising the ~$200,000 plus necessary to have injection molds produced in China was not how I wanted to do the project. I wanted to build it in the USA. So The Roost was designed from the ground up to be producible at medium-to-high quantities from equipment that one can run in a small production area.
The solution involves innovative manufacturing approaches using off-the-shelf components, a laser cutter, and hand-pressed rivets. No Plastic Injection molds were used in making the Roost. Half of the fun was finding innovative materials and processes to meet my manufacturing plan.
Kickstarter will be used to fund the manufacturing equipment purchase of the laser cutter, rivet dies and squeezers, mechanical presses, and other shop equipment. If the kickstarter is successful, the Roost factory will be well-equipped to produce medium-to-high volumes of Roosts for years to come!
The Roost is patent pending.
Problem: Getting your laptop screen to the correct height is inherently precarious because it will be at least a foot off the desk.
Solution: Using an innovative way of suspending the laptop from the base of the screen (as opposed to the conventional method of resting the laptop on a surface), The Roost literally “clips in” to your laptop to hold it extremely securely. It is as stable as if your laptop were sitting on the desk.
Problem: For the product to truly be useful, the product must be highly collapsible to fit into your bag / briefcase / backpack / etc.
Using two mechanical mechanisms: 1) a “scissor lift” that construction workers use to lift themselves 50+ feet off the ground combined with 2) the action of a conventional folding chair, The Roost holds laptops of any weight and greater than 13” screen size, and folds down into a highly compact 1” x 1.5” x 13” shape.
Problem: The Roost must be extremely durable because it will be tossed around with your travel gear.
Who is using the Roost?
Broadly, anyone who uses a laptop:
- Creative professionals, especially those that travel / work on location
- Designers, Graphic Artists, Video Editors, Producers
- DJs, performing artists, musicians
- Writers, Reporters, Social Media
- Developers / programmers
- Sales professionals
- Jelani Memory for his amazing video production work
- Black Shirt Brewing Co, Denver, CO. Denver's best brewery.
- Adam Mattivi Photography
- Elihuu, an amazing platform that connects designers and builders
Risks and challenges
The risks of orders not being fulfilled on time is very low.
The version of the Roost you watched in the video was made on the actual production equipment with production materials. I've been committed to building Roosts from the get-go, part of this included purchasing the laser cutter that will be used for production. (Kickstarter funds will go to offset this cost)
No additional development is required for the Roost.
The purchase orders for the production materials are written and ready to be enacted.
I am currently limited to building ~1200 Roosts per month. If orders surpass this number, I will either 1) purchase/find additional laser cutting resources or 2) add new reward categories with later delivery dates.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
I will be sending out a survey when the campaign completes which will allow you to select your color option then.
Yes, the Roost works great for books and notebooks: http://imgur.com/a/bkE2U
Yes! (I goofed on the rewards). I will be serializing the first #250 Roosts (plus any internationals that missed out).
The Roost works great with Macbook Airs and Pros with the Speck case. Please contact me with the model of laptop and brand of case, and I will try to confirm.
Tech Shop (in Menlo Park, CA) (http://www.techshop.ws/) is an amazing community of folks with a passion to build things, hack things, break them, and make them better. I spent too many great evenings and weekends there to count. Could not have built the Roost with out them. Find a tech shop near you, you won't regret it!
A keyboard will not fit underneath. The Roost is not quite wide enough, and the cross supports also do not provide clearance.
Support this project
- (35 days)