IT'S ABOUT TIME FOR NEW BODY ELECTRIC SHOWS TO AIR ON PBS
IT'S ABOUT TIME FOR NEW BODY ELECTRIC SHOWS TO AIR ON PBS
Body Electric's 21st series offers a fitness program that creates muscle tone and stronger bones without stressing the joints.
Body Electric's 21st series offers a fitness program that creates muscle tone and stronger bones without stressing the joints. Read more
About this project
It's really about time! We’ve raised just 28% of the funds needed to produce 13 shows with about 24 hours to go. Can I count on your support?
- It’s About Time! I am intensely passionate about providing a program for Baby Boomers with exercises designed to maintain muscle tone and stronger bones. We need to challenge our muscles and add density to our bones without stressing joints that have had their share of wear-and-tear. This type of program is generally not offered at gyms and health clubs. And, you’ll have free access in your home on PBS! Many of us have been fitness friends for many years, and I am humbled by your loyalty and support. At the age of 70, I am totally in tune with where we have been and what the future offers. Let’s stay strong!
After producing more than 40 DVDs and videos and over 500 TV shows, I have never lost my love of the movement, music and health benefits. I'm even more passionate about redefining the Body Electric message to respect the physical changes in the boomer generation with a workout that works gently on the joints and powerfully on the muscles. Even the oldest Boomers have another 20-plus years in front of them. With regular, moderate exercise we have the power to redefine aging as a continuum of growing stronger.
Strength training is a key component of overall health and fitness for everyone. Lean muscle mass naturally diminishes with age. Strength training can help you preserve and enhance your muscle mass at any age. Equally as important, by stressing your bones, strength training can increase bone density and reduce the risk of osteoporosis. Whether a person is forty or eighty, strength, muscle mass and bone density can be increased and remains highly responsive to training.
By the mid 1980's the fitness movement was in full force and my Body Electric "friends" and I were collectively at the center of a whirlwind of unleashed energy, personal expression, and empowerment, all in the name of healthy pursuit. The spark was lit, and the Body Electric program took off like wildfire. The televised Body Electric program, now celebrating its 21st new series (of 26 shows), first aired in 1984 and quickly attracted legions of at-home exercisers. Body Electric was the first televised fitness show to feature exercises using light weights, which were performed to popular music. As the Body Electric program gained in popularity and appeal, I continued to present my unique style of strength with grace.
You are only as old as you let yourself be. This Body Electric fitness program is like no other. I have not reinvented the wheel--just provided a different spin which includes appropriate movements that are designed to train and develop your muscles to make it easier and safer to perform everyday activities. Functional fitness will help you to maintain your strength to rise from an easy chair or carry grocery bags.The beauty of the Body Electric program is that it can be accomplished at home with a few sets of dumbbells, and an exercise mat. IT'S ABOUT TIME to begin your journey to health and fitness.
It's always about the music and the movement! It is fortunate that Body Electric found its home on PBS stations, as PBS has a special agreement with the music licensing organizations, ASCAP and BMI. Unlike other exercise programs, I have the luxury of being able to choose from an enormous library of popular music. Producing a new series is a wonderful opportunity to introduce new music as well as revisiting the wonderful songs from the '70's and '80's. I still love the Michaels, Jackson and McDonald. And, always Barbra.
Q: What is "fixed" funding?
A: No contributions will be used, or premiums issued unless the total amount of $87,500 is raised in 16 days.
Q: Why are you so passionate about fitness for Baby Boomers?
A: Most fitness programs are geared toward younger people. However, it's the people over 50 who are acutely in need of strengthening exercises to keep their muscles and bones strong. Exercises such as jumping and lunging are not appropriate for this population, as they stress the joints. Believe me, I know!
Q: You refer to the Body Electric program as strength with grace. Please explain.
A: My early training was in ballet, so when I had the opportunity to produce the first TV program which featured exercises using light weights. I believe that graceful movement is always appealing. Strength with grace continues to be a unique aspect of the Body Electric program.
I am launching a campaign to provide crowd funding-
- For the production of the first 13 (of 26) shows. Body Electric has been dropped by a number of PBS stations as we have not provided new programming since 2010.
- I am an independent producer, and not supported by PBS funding. Your support provides funding for the production company, the closed captioning, the venue, the beautiful Shalin Liu Performance Center in Rockport, MA, and more.
- The FCC has mandated closed captioning for the hearing impaired. We have CC'd only two series (52 shows), as it is a costly process.
- The new series will provide millions of viewers, nationwide, an opportunity to create increased strength, bone density, and balance with minimal expense.
- Many PBS station are onboard for new shows. Please see the list below, and contact your local PBS station to express your support.
Each PBS station has a program director that is responsible for choosing the programs that will air.. Please know that PBS program directors are particularly sensitive to viewer input. Following are but a few of the supportive letters I received-
Risks and challenges
NALearn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (16 days)