About this project
The Forlorn Cottage - Schleyscapes: Episode 01
Schleyscapes is a system-independent RPG supplement for game masters created by fantasy artist and author Mike Schley. This initial episode sets your players out on an expedition to The Forlorn Cottage encounter site where a foul beast has staked its claim. As a series opener, it also includes an introduction to the epic world of Fernweh, where the moon never sets and strange portents abound.
This new series of RPG supplements is intended to assist GM's by providing evocative visual flavor and compelling story seeds that are easily added to any homebrew or pre-published campaign setting. Use them as-is or modify them to your hearts content. In one complete package you get separate versions of each visual resource designed with a wide variety of gaming styles in mind and formatted for both physical or virtual table top applications.
Begin a new epic journey with episode one of Schleyscapes;
"In the land of Fernweh, the moon never set, nor did it rise for that matter. For as long as anyone could remember, the Tain sat fixed in the heavens. This celestial orb steadfastly refused to wander, always reliable, always safe, waxing and waning each day it cast its light like a beacon on misty shores. Its presence was a comfort to travelers far and wide. The king’s mapmakers looked to it as a constant companion in their wanderings and it always stayed true, until... one evening it moved."
Features of the PDF include:
- Exquisitely detailed maps of the entire encounter location optimized for printing or screen display.
- High quality story artwork including site-specific cutaways as well as new creature and artifact illustrations.
- Story seed ideas for incorporating the encounter content into your own pre-published or homebrew campaign.
- An introduction to the new Schleyscapes world of Fernweh.
- A helpful GM's-eyes-only version of the map.
- A Tile Layout Diagram to assist in organizing the playspace.
- Perfectly tiled one-inch-grid versions of the main map provided at 300 dpi and organized to be easily printed and cut from 9 letter or A4 sized sheets of paper, preferably card stock.
- Numerous "discovery tile" maps that add a new level of interactivity and provide GM's with an easy and attractive fog-of-war mechanic.
- A bonus 25.5 x 31.5 inch 300 dpi poster map of the main adventure site designed to be printed with the help of your favorite copy shop or at home with a large format printer.
- Additional black and white line versions of the map tiles for ink-efficient home printing.
- High resolution gridded and grid-free digital display versions of all the maps and artwork as well as separate .jpg versions sized at 50 & 100 pixels per inch for VTT use.
In addition to the wealth of resources included with the PDF, backers also have access to optional bonus reward levels. Some reward packages feature a suite of .png tokens, vinyl playmats, or signed artist's prints.
Bonus Backer Rewards:
- A suite of .png image tokens created from the encounter artwork and designed for use in VTT's or as add-ons to fantasy mapping applications like Dungeons of Schley. This suite is licensed, unlike the adventure PDF, for commercial use. In other words, the maps you make with the separate .png files can be used in homebrew mapping or for your own published adventures. Just include a byline if they are used in a commercial project.
- Archival artist's prints of the spiderbear, magic compass, and cutaway illustrations from The Forlorn Cottage.
- A high-quality yet durable waterproof vinyl playmat displaying the whole adventure site, perfect for use with miniatures and wet erase markers.
- Retail level reward options for batch playmat purchases.
Want a closer look at what's inside Schleyscapes: Episode 1? Take a journey into the Forlorn Cottage and explore the encounter setting maps in this unique Instagram adventure page.
No matter what level of support you offer to Schleyscapes, please accept my sincere thanks. It couldn't happen without you. Keep exploring!
Risks and challenges
As of today, this initial PDF episode of Schleyscapes is ready to deliver. It's been a labour of love and as the digital files only need to be distributed via a file sharing link, the risk is negligible. My previous experience with direct digital map & art sales through prints.mikeschley.com can been taken into account as well. A quick online search for "Mike Schley maps" will return a proven track record with plenty of positive feedback over the years.
The vinyl playmats and orders of artist's copies of the illustrations will be printed and shipped as needed from a major international service provider with premium signed copies handled personally by myself.
At this point, all the work on this introduction to the new series is done and all that's left is to share it. My hope and goal is that GM's, their players, and retailers will like and support it well enough to help fund the future episodes and ensure that Schleyscapes has an epic story ahead of it.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)