This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Thu, April 4 2019 1:17 PM UTC +00:00.
Spiral Isles is an OSR pointcrawl adventure for both 5th edition and Swords and Wizardry. The adventure is designed to give dead characters a chance to return to life, or as the framework for a campaign into the underworld. The result of this crowdfunding effort will be a 50+ page, landscaped module, mostly black and white with select, thematic, colors.
Death, the close of the final chapter. For most, a final destination was set in life; paradise or damnation- either, a proper course. But an unnatural force claimed you, pulling your spirit into an eerie, shadow realm. In the Spiral Isles your fate is placed back into your hands.
One. Last. Time.
There is a way out- a way home. The Boxthorne Door is rumored to return those with radiating life force back to the land of the living. The journey is long and the route through the vast and dreary abyss is fraught with perils-even for the dead. Fiendish monsters and malevolent spirits seek to rob what little life you have left.
Make deals with bizarre, twisted Ferrymen to cross the treacherous void between the islands. Manifest weapons, armor and items from your life force. Strategically wind your way through the vying factions, gaining power and life points.
The setting of Spiral Isles is in a pointcrawl format.
- A pointcrawl is an adventure format that lies somewhere between a linear narrative and a sandbox hexcrawl.
- It combines the best of both worlds, retaining some narrative and story elements, while also having nonlinear options for players.
- Over 20 islands, each with several points of interest, create an immersive setting for the Spiral Isles.
- 22 keyed locations
- Nonlinear adventure
- Npc's and npc generator
- Rival npc party
- New treasure
- New monsters
- 2 Mini Dungeons
- 4 Die Drop Tables
- Random tables
- Chaos Index System
- Pointcrawl adventure in a Land of the Dead.
- Turn a total party kill into a new adventure.
- Start an expedition to the underworld, seeking lost knowledge or allies.
- Players can face off one last time against vanquished foes, nemeses.
- Unique game mechanic for simple, level-neutral, class-neutral, ethereal play.
- An ideal environment for crossovers between games/worlds.
- Softcover, Landscaped 11"x8.5" Trim Size.
- Intuitive navigation.
- Easy-to-find tables.
- Low prep for DMs.
- Black and white content with select color.
- Approximately 54 pages.
- PDF bookmarks and hyperlinks.
- Both 5th Edition and Swords and Wizardry compatibility in one book.
*Because Spiral Isles is a wide-format, landscaped adventure it may not be compatible with smaller devices like Kindles and tablets.
- A dark fantasy mini setting for OSR.
- A modular hexcrawl with 12 keyed locations.
- Graphic heavy, gameability focused.
- 92 page softcover or hardcover book.
Backers who have pledged for digital content will receive an email during the fulfillment period with a link to your digital reward.
Back this Kickstarter at either print level and you will get an email with the link to the PDF book and a print code for DriveThru RPG. This code allows you to order the book(s) from DriveThru RPG at cost.
To get your print book, click the link and DriveThru RPG will charge a fee for printing and shipping the book to you. We don't make any money off the printing or shipping, only from the support of Kickstarter pledges.
Spiral Isles (softcover only) estimated* at cost printing is $6.5 + shipping.
Woodfall's softcover's at cost printing is $4.13 + shipping. The hardcover, $9.74 + shipping.
Risks and challenges
Our main drive is to give you a quality, timely product. As such, no initial stretch goals are planned. If backers request something and/or we feel confident that it will not interfere with our directive, we may consider adding specific stretch goals.
While Spiral Isles is Jere's first Kickstarter, co-creator Lazy Litch made the successful Woodfall campaign in 2018. He has experience in fulfillment and printing through drivethrurpg.com. We picked Drivethrurpg’s print on demand service to ensure reliable delivery of our products.
As a two person team, we won't be bogged down by large group management or by contracting outside work.
We are minimizing risk by launching when 50% of the Spiral Isles project has already been completed. We look forward to finishing the final 50% of the project by polishing and getting the final project print ready.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter