Rules of insurrection: Check out the 2nd edition rulebook & changelog
The rules of a game create a unique container in which emergent strategies, tactics, and narratives can unfold. Some call this container the magic circle. Years of work have gone into defining and perfecting the magic circle of Bloc by Bloc: The Insurrection Game.
Out of Order is thrilled to present this advance copy of the complete 2nd edition rulebook. It is available as a PDF for anyone interested in diving into the details of this thoroughly improved and streamlined update of the game. Please share this update on social media and elsewhere with those who might want to know more about Bloc by Bloc.
Check out the rulebook PDF
Below is an image of the player aid that is on the back of each Faction Card. It gives a helpful overview of player actions and turn order for quick reference.
Bloc by Bloc 2nd edition changelog v 1.995
Endgame & Agenda Deck
Winning & losing has been overhauled: Players win the game by completing the objectives on their agenda cards. Each faction must reveal their Agenda card during the Sunrise phase if they have successfully completed the objectives on the card.
- Agenda deck is now 8 cards: 6 Social Agendas, 1 Vanguardist Agenda, & 1 Nihilist Agenda
- Semi-cooperative games play with a full Agenda Deck, fully cooperative games play only with Social Agenda cards
Win Together: The Social Insurrection Liberates the City - If 2 or more factions with Social Agendas complete their objectives and reveal their cards, all Social factions win the game together! Social Agenda cards require factions to build occupations in all of their own districts along with one additional objective. Objectives on both Social Agenda cards must be complete at the end of a Sunrise phase to win.
Win Alone: The Vanguardist Seizes Power - If the faction with the Vanguardist agenda completes their objectives and reveals their card, that faction wins the game alone. The Vanguardist must have occupations in at least 2 State districts.
- Win Alone: The Nihilist Spreads Chaos - If the faction with the Nihilist agenda completes their objectives and reveals their card, that faction wins the game alone. 6 shopping centers must be burned and the Nihilist must have an occupation in at least 1 Public district.
2 Player Game
- Refined the rules for scaling the number of players based on the 2nd edition endgame conditions to create a highly improved two player experience. Each player plays as one faction in fully cooperative mode.
Police Morale: Each riot cop defeated in a clash lowers police morale by 1 level. Each defeated riot van lowers it by 2. Manifestation cards no longer lower police morale.
Removed rule: Riot cops in clashes do not advance
Added rule: Riot cops in districts with occupations do not advance
- Riot van movement has been overhauled. 4 Maneuvers cards in the Police Ops deck order riot vans to advance into adjacent districts of a specified type. Riot vans ordered to advance into the same district as another van hold position
- 3 Barricades stop riot van movement between two districts
- Riot vans are “defeated” not “destroyed”. Only 4 total riot vans are in the game.
- A larger proportion of Police Ops cards increase Police Morale
- Size and quantity of Police Ops deck has been modified and calibrated
- The game difficulty can be easily adjusted by altering the number of Heavy Reinforcements and Light Reinforcements cards in the Police Ops deck.
The level of Police Morale determines the number of steps to advance the countdown marker forward (1,2, or 3 nights)
- Countdown starts at 10 nights left
All factions have the same 3 occupations
1. Faction Start: At the start of your turn form 1 bloc here before rolling action dice
2. Assembly Hall: Use an action die of any value to form 1 bloc here: once per turn
3. Social Center: Use an action die of any value to draw 1 loot card: once per turn
- All factions have a special ability that can be used at any time:
Prisoners: Increase the value of action dice by 1 when taking attack actions
Workers: Increase the value of action dice by 1 when taking build and swap occupation actions
Students: Do not use an action die for movement actions starting in districts where your occupations are built
- Neighbors: Build 3 barricades with one action around districts where your occupations are built
- All factions now have 3 district tiles
- 1 Public District and 1 Commercial District have been added
- District difficulties have been reordered and calibrated
- Police IDs have been reordered
- When a 6 is rolled: You may choose to discard 1 Loot card from your hand to immediately roll 1 extra action die. Use this extra action die during this turn.
Factions no longer start the game with 2 Loot cards each
- Size and quantity of Loot deck has been modified and calibrated
- Added to all Manifestations: If this liberated district is a public district: do not move the countdown marker forward tonight.
- Size and quantity of Manifestation deck has been modified and calibrated
- Some manifestations have been renamed and card language has been clarified
- “place barricade” is now “build barricade”
- “Police repression” is now “police attack”
- “Sunset” is now “Nighttime”
Wow you made it all the way to the end :) Please leave a comment if you have any questions about any of these changes and rules. Cheers!