About this project
AUTOMAT - EVERYWHERE - EVERYTIME -
These watches are designed for anyone who is looking for the right balance between Adventure and City Life.
TIME IS PRECIOUS, IT'S TIME TO PROTECT IT.
AUTOMAT is a French company founded in 2015 by two designers with a passion for winter sports and adventure.
AUTOMAT Watches: Resilient watches with form-fitting shock-absorbing accessories. Our dream is to produce an elegant, stylish, and sporty shock-proof watch. It has to be affordable and attractive, but above all practical.
The idea for a removable shock-proof system came about during a trip to California. We were inspired by the extreme sports culture and the laid back style. We discovered that the demand for a cool watch that could survive the rigours of surfing, skateboarding, rock climbing, and all manner of outdoor activities was high. The goal was clear: The watch had to feature a removable protection system that was totally shock-proof. By settling on an elasticated design, we came up with something that was stylistically unique and eminently functional. When the patented 'bump' system is removed, you're left with a stylish, urban watch. We took our idea back to Paris and began work on AUTOMAT.
Everything about the watch has been developed in Paris, by passionate people. And now we need your help – your passion for our brand will drive AUTOMAT to the next level. Please support our campaign and make our dream become a reality.
THE MOST INTERCHANGEABLE WATCH IN ITS CATEGORY.
AUTOMAT aims to bring a new level of security and customisation to the customer. With your help we will be able to offer all kinds of colour and strap combinations in the future. Read on for more info...
- 1- Why AUTOMAT?
- 2- The solution
- 3- Press and support
- 4- Backer rewards
- 5- Conception: The various challenges of the creation process
- 6- Product description
- 7- Chronology
- 8- The future of AUTOMAT with your contribution
- 9- Who are we?
- 10- The community
- 11- Partners and thanks
1 - WHY AUTOMAT? The AUTOMAT project started when I got fed up breaking all my watches while skateboarding. I knew what I wanted but couldn't find it anywhere on the market. I decided to design the AUTOMAT range around two key principles: Lightness and strength. For me, it was essential the watches were comfortable as well as shockproof. My background in design had brought me into contact with several people in the watch industry. With them on board, we got to work designing AUTOMAT. After 18 months hard work, I'm proud to announce that the products are ready. I'd like you to be part of this great adventure. If everything goes according to plan, you will have your AUTOMAT watch around your wrist by the beginning of 2016. But why should you invest in an AUTOMAT timepiece? Here's why:
I then met friends of mine working in the watch industry that helped me with my project.
Today, I am very proud to announce that the products are ready And I would like you to be part of that great adventure. By chance you will have your AUTOMAT watch around your wrist by the beginning of next year.
2- THE SOLUTION:
- The protection System: We first focused on developing a shockproof system that would be easily removable and good looking. The shape and the material were specially designed for each watch. After many tests, we created the bump. When function informs form, as it does in the case of the bump, you can be left with an object of aesthetic and practical beauty. That's what we feel we've achieved with the bump. It's highly functional and a whole lot of fun!
- Light and strong: The case had be designed to work with the bump attachment. We wanted to retain a relatively classical silhouette as we thought the addition of the bump was a bold enough design leap to have already taken. After we'd settled on the shape, we spent months researching the most efficient and aesthetically palatable material. We settled on polycarbonate so it could be light and shockproof at the same time.
- Attractive price: We got rid of all the middlemen so you can get the best possible price. I've not seen a company that can offer you a polycarbonate case, Zulu straps with ballistic nylon, stainless steel buckles, 20 ATM water resist, and luminous hands for less than €120.
- Homegrown hero: We're a French brand and proud of it: The AUTOMAT range was developed in Paris and will be based here going forward.
You can get an AUTOMAT watch starting 109€ instead of 215 € (retail price)
- 1 ORO-DATO classic watch. Choose from nine models, all equipped with a ballistic nylon Zulu strap, which can be easily changed in under 5 seconds. Best of all, we'll let you choose the colour you want so your AUTOMAT watch is exactly as YOU want it to be
- 1 protection Bump made in TPU material that perfectly fits the watch case. With the bump in place, the dial and bezel will be protected.
- 1 nylon pouch bag in nylon. We took inspiration for the packaging from climbing rucksacks. We fitted the pouch with a snap hook so you can easily transport your watch and its accessories.
5 - CONCEPTION: THE CHALLENGES
Reliable and convenient: From my experience, very few affordable watches on the market are real diving watches that you can use for diving or snorkeling. AUTOMAT watches perform at a much higher level than the price suggests they might. With an impressive water resistance rating, our watches can survive at depths of 200 metres. We're seriously proud of the fact that our watches outperform the majority of our price-point peers with ease.
6- PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
- PC Carbon case reinforced matt sandblasted finish.
- Unidirectional rotating bezel in PC Carbon reinforced
- Crown and stainless steel 316L buttons with mat gun metal finish
- PC Carbon Backcase reinforced with carbon, 4 stainless steel screws.
- Hardened mineral glass.
- Case diameter 46mm
- Thickness 15mm
- Weight: 60 grammes
- 200 meters / 20 ATM Water resist
- Quartz Chronographe Miyota OS11 movement
- 3 spécific Aluminium luminescent hands with Hours, Minutes and seconds
- 2 Aluminum made chronograph hands (for CHRONO-ORO models)
- Photoluminescent Index
Dials:The first ORO-SERIES collection is made of 14 models:
- 9 models ORO-DATO classic STOP SECOND
- 2 models ORO-DATO ghost STOP SECOND
- 2 models CHRONO-ORO CHRONOGRAPHE
- Interchangeable Zulu Strap spécial Nylon 22mm, with all stainless steel black PVD buckles
- Automat Logo printed on one buckle
- Elastic removable and adjustable Bump
- Delivered in a nylon pouch bag with drawstring
- Instruction manual
- Warranty card
8 - THE FUTURE OF AUTOMAT WITH TO YOUR CONTRIBUTION:
We already have some ideas for our future:
During the first year we will introduce a new Perlon strap, fifties style! It will be made exclusively for us and equipped with Zulu buckles printed with the Automat Logo in a choice of 5 colours.
In our second year, we will introduce a larger collection with:
3 new case colours 2 new shockproof accessories available in different colors 1 notched unidirectional rotating bezel And a boat-load of new strap colors to keep your AITOMAT looking fresh
In the third year, as soon as our production and after sales services are streamlined, we will aim to manufacture an even more affordable watch, with a price as low as 149€ (retail price).
9- ABOUT US:
AUTOMAT, the casual and outdoor watch brand, equipped with patented interchangeable protective accessories.
After 15 years evolving in the fashion world, two French designers (brother & sister) created AUTOMAT, a truly original watch brand concept suffused with their passion for extreme sports. They went on to create a versatile, unisex watch that is as comfortable is it is cool.
It was while observing the tricks of Californian skaters and surfers on the west coast beaches that the concept of the bump came to them. The bump is a removable elastic system that protects the dial, bezel, and case from suffering direct and potentially devastating impacts. It's easy to fit and remove.
10- THE COMMUNITY:
Your support is crucial to us to build AUTOMAT. We are ready to start the production. We have the technical sketches and the samples.
All we need is your support! Becoming a contributor will help us materialise our dream.
Right now, our network consists of just friends and family, so we need you to get involved by sharing our page on social media pages. We've received a lot of encouragement from industry experts who believe in the merits of our brand.
We'll be posting links of reviews of AUTOMAT watches soon, so watch this space!
11- PARTNERS AND THANKS:
Sincere thanks to our talented friends, our contributors and all those who made this project possible.
Risks and challenges
Our production process has been meticulously planned and we have the utmost confidence in our partners to deliver our product on time and to the standards upon which we have agreed. We can't foresee every potential stumbling block that might crop-up along the way, but we will keep our backers informed at every step and ensure we iron out any kinks as quickly as possible.
We'll keep you updated with posts, pictures, and a constant availability. If you have concerns or questions, get in touch. Without your trust and support, AUTOMAT will remain a dream. We thank you in advance for helping us reach our goals and look forward to having you as a customer for many years to come.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)