About this project
Visit our office in Singapore and experience the GreenChamp Designing process + design 3x your very own GreenChamp Bike and last but not least join a bamboo bike tour in Singapore (excluding family package).
GreenChamp Bikes is based on the founders’ belief that children’s toys should be made from eco-friendly and sustainable materials. They believe that this would encourage parents to educate their children about the environment from a young age, in the hope that this will provide them with a greener future.
Besides its eco-friendliness, GreenChamp Bikes are super durable, ensuring easy manoeuvring for children who are learning to ride a bike.
GreenChamp Bikes is the brainchild of Daniel and Sunny. Sunny went on a solo expedition around the world that spanned 6,123km on his first handmade bamboo bicycle.
After returning, he met his Dutch cycling partner, Daniel, who shared the same passion for cycling, sustainability and bamboo.
After studying many children’s bikes, they saw that many balance bikes in the market were not sustainable (e.g. made from plastic, plywood and aluminium) and lacked the lightness and durability of bamboo.
They spent 2 years creating and designing a bamboo balance bike for young kids, hoping to let them know that they can have fun and be eco-friendly at the same time.
“Through the GreenChamp Bikes we hope this will encourage parents to educate their young children on the environment and provide children a greener future.” Daniel Heerkens, GreenChamp Bikes.
GreenChamp Bikes Facts
1) Made from bamboo - one of nature’s most renewable sources of raw material. It requires only sunlight and water and grows very fast, up to 1 meter a day!
2) Specially developed bamboo technologies: GreenChamp uses two specially developed technologies during production. Honey is infused into the bamboo fibre to prevent it from cracking.
GreenChamp bike frames are double-walled, in which 1 bamboo is fused between 2 bamboo walls to ensure the durability of the bike. This also increases the strength of the bamboo frame by approximately 50%.
3) Smoothest ride possible for your child: Our nature-based joints and bamboo framework promotes the smoothest ride possible for your child, so no matter how they ride, the vibration dampening effects of our natural materials compliment their riding style for a glide-like feeling with maximum comfort.
4) Super durable: ensuring easy manoeuvring for young kids who are first learning to ride a bike.
Workshop in Guangzhou
GreenChamp Bikes only employs local villagers in Guangzhou, China, who have extensive experience in harvesting bamboo for decades. They only select 0.01% of the best available bamboo for our bikes. By using this method of sourcing, we guarantee a stronger-than-steel frame for all GreenChamp Bikes.
GreenChamp Bikes are crafted by talented local artisans, turning them into a unique and beautiful piece of art. They have more than 20 years of experience working with all kind of bamboo products.
You can even personalise your own GreenChamp Bike by engraving your (child's) name on it for an additional €10!
After 3 years of research, designing and prototyping, GreenChamp Bikes has developed bamboo balance bikes.
We want to make the GreenChamp Bike dream come true with the help of our supporters, not a bank.
Our target of €20,000 will allow us to create the moulds and procure the other parts of the bicycle in bulk to lower production costs. Kickstarter is the perfect platform to raise funds, share and receive support for GreenChamp Bikes.
For GreenChamp bamboo balance bikes
- July 11th - Kickstarter ends, we will email you to ask which accessories you want (sizes, names etc.)
- Mid - July - Sourcing of all GreenChamp parts begins
- End July - Sourcing done, crafting, assembly & finishing of GreenChamp Bikes
- End August - shipping globally
- September - Delivery of your new products!
For the accessories of GreenChamp Bikes
- July 11th - Kickstarter ends, we email you to ask which accessories you want (colors, sizes, etc.)
- End July - sourcing and production of all accessories done
- Beginning August - shipping globally
- August - Delivery of your new products
Risks and challenges
At our current stage, we have accumulated enough knowledge and expertise such that GreenChamp Bikes are no longer a home-made beginner's product. It is a product backed up with 2 years of research testing, in-house technologies and certifications. Our workshop is not operated by computer systems or machines but by skilled artisans.
As each bamboo is different, the material and color of the bikes will vary according to many factors such as, the time at which the bamboo is harvested or unpredictable weather conditions around the village.
1) Natural Bamboo's Surface
Each bamboo is unique in terms of its thickness, natural surface finishing and color tone. GreenChamp Bikes are kept as natural as possible.
GreenChamp Bikes has stringent quality control protocols in place for all aspects of bikes, including aesthetics. For example, if there are too many spots on the bamboo or if the smaller branches on the bamboo affects the overall aesthetics, it will be rejected.
2) Natural Bamboo's Probability of Cracking
Bamboo may crack. It is its natural tendency to crack as the fibers of bamboo are parallel to each other. When bamboo dries up, the water between them will cause the fiber to split.
GreenChamp Bikes has 2 in-house technologies ( honey infused technology and double walled bamboo) to tackle this problem. Our bamboo have been tested in many different places under different weather conditions. After 6 months of testing, we are proud to say that our technologies have proven to be very effective.
3) GreenChamp Bikes Delivery Schedule -
GreenChamp Bikes does not rely on robots to build your bicycle. We commit to deliver on time and if in the case where we cannot meet the deadline, we will inform 2 weeks in advance.
After 2 years of experimenting and formalising the processes, we are committed to make it happen. With your support, we may be able to purchase better tools and hire more skilled craftsmen to increase the production and deliver earlier.
Please note: The bamboo used is specially selected, some delays may occur to ensure the highest quality promised. We will inform you in advance in the event that your shipment is delayed, and seek your understanding in this matter.
Support this project
- (28 days)