Missed Out on this Campaign? No Worries, Just Click Here: http://thekingsabbey.com/
1 - 5 PLAYERS / 90 - 180 MIN
The King’s Abbey is a worker placement/resource management game that transports you right into the 11th century. This is when great abbeys were a central part of the Middle Ages.
Each player leads an order of monks commissioned by King Sivolc to construct a great abbey to defend against the ever increasing darkness that threatens to engulf the land. Players improve their abbey and gain prestige by training clergy, building towers and buildings, fighting off Viking attacks, and completing crusades. The player with the most prestige at the end of the game wins.
Play proceeds over seven rounds. Each round, the monks (represented by dice) are assigned to defend against the darkness, fight Vikings, go on crusades, train clergy, gather resources, and educate peasants. (resources and peasants are needed to construct towers and buildings.)
At the beginning of every round, players roll the dice representing their monks, and place them in spaces that represent the various tasks. Some tasks require dice with particular values, and gathering resources is more efficient using higher value dice. Crusades provide valuable rewards upon completion but require multiple dice with the same value.
Cyrus Kirby of Father Geek says,"The King's Abbey is a gamer's game, but within a casual gamer's grasp...I really liked The King’s Abbey. I didn’t find it difficult to understand, but I did find it challenging to play."
People want to play The King's Abbey again and again because the strategy changes with each game depending on what buildings come up in the market. This makes players want to try something different every time they play.
Rahdo Runs Through (Richard Ham) says; "Silky smooth, just feels good to play, like a well oiled machine. This is just fun, it's a blast to play!"
Undead Viking (Lance Myxter) says; "Enjoyed the heck out of the King's Abbey! It's a wonderful, perfect, medium weight euro. It hit on all cylinders for me."
Nick of Board Game Brawl says; "This game is more thematic than most euro games I have seen."
(See below for links to more reviews)
1. Little Downtime: Unlike most worker placement games, players assign workers to most tasks simultaneously, so there is little down time.
2. Solicit Help: Something unique that you don't see in many worker placement games is how players may solicit help from other players to complete objectives like a crusade for a share of the rewards.
3. Co-op Play: Another unique part of this game is where all players must come together to fight off the Vikings! This is a way to either help each other or mess with each other. ;)
4. Easy to Teach: The King's Abbey is one of those games that you can easily teach with it's straight forward 12 step system that flows from one phase to the other smoothly.
5. Trade System: One mechanic that gets mentioned quite a bit is the way that players may trade resources with the market twice during each round, and this is tracked by trade tokens.
(See links below to download the rules and print and play version, and even try out the game online.)
Each piece of art is individually signed. No copies. :)
Click on logo to watch the review
* European Country Breakdown by Area:
Western EU: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden
Central EU: Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia
Non EU Europe: Norway, Switzerland
- 100% Money-Back Guarantee: If you decide you don't like The King's Abbey within 1 month of receiving it, you can return it for a full pledge refund.
- Enhances the game: The more stretch goals we reach, the more enhanced and beautiful the game will be!
- We Collaborate: We treat all backers as collaborators with us. We will respond to every question or feedback promptly.
- We listen to the pros: There are a number of professional game designers and Kickstarter pros that we have been collaborating with to make sure we don't miss the small things.
- We Need You: We've covered the cost of graphic design, art, and development for The King's Abbey, but we can't manufacture and ship the game without your support.
Play The King's Abbey on Tabloro. Just click the image below.
- We have made the print and play version available so you can try out the game. Please be aware that this is prototype art that is a bit different than the final game. Some cards and components are subject to change. They do not necessarily represent the final version.
- Follow the link below and it will give you all the information you will need to download and play.http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/112860/kings-abbey-pnp-versi
THE KING'S ABBEY and all art, rules, and media; COPYRIGHT 2014. Please make one copy to be used for demo purposes only. You may not sell or redistribute without the sole permission of the designer. Thank you.
If you have any questions about the rules, please either email me or start a blog on BGG where you download the file. Thank you.
Some say the that rules are just as important as the game experience itself. I agree. I love to read the rules for board games. The King's Abbey rulebook is no exception, it is turning out to be a piece of art all in itself. Here are some samples of the 10x10in rule book opened up:
Anna Talanova is a multi-skilled Packaging Designer with over 20 years progressive experience in Branding, Logos, Labels, Packaging, Ads, Banners, Posters, Brochures in the field of Wines & Spirits, Foods, Cosmetics, Dietary Supplements, Games, etc., delivering customized creative solutions for major clients.
Anna has been great to work with, and would highly recommend her to help you design your next game. She is not only very creative, but listens to your ideas and is quick to respond with what you need. I would never think about using anyone else for my graphic needs. If you are interested in having her help you with your next project, click on the pic below to check out her portfolio.
VIDEO AND MUSIC PRODUCTION
The video was originally made and scored by Doug Mills of Charis (Khar'-ece) Studios. Doug Mills has over 38 years of musical experience and of those years he has not only played in many bands but has worked with sound and video production. Doug has been awesome to work with on this project and puts his heart and soul into everything he does. He is brilliant at coming up with original material and would be a great asset to your next video or original music for your next board game or even artist recording. Doug is the owner/producer/engineer of Charis Studio. Offering services ranging from original scoring composition, music beds, artist recording, video production, audio post production. For more information please click on the picture below.
THE KING'S ABBEY IS EVEN BETTER THIS TIME AROUND
We had an amazing first run at Kickstarter. With 466 backers and $23,895, we were a bit shy of our goal of $36,000. We know that a re-launch is a must! We have listened to you and have improved a number of things.
- 1. We lowered the funding level.
The first thing you will notice is the lower funding level. We tried to hit $36,000 the first time, and included all of the ungraded pieces. We are now starting at $18,000 for a funding goal and all of the items that were included in the first campaign will still be available at the $36,000 level just like before but as stretch goals. We are just beginning at $18,000. This will still give you a complete game without all of the upgraded tokens like, custom start player meeple, wooden resources, etc. But I am confident that we will reach a number of the stretch goals this time.
- 2. New Art. We redesigned the art to include iconography throughout. Anna Talanova has redesigned the front of the box and has truly done an amazing job!
- 3. New character cards. With our small break between the first and second launch, we have been able to finish the new character cards. You can play with or without these cards. Each card will be unique in its character along with a special ability that can be activated by using your dice pool.
- 4. New building cards. We have developed 3 new building cards that will enhance the game experience, and give The King's Abbey even more re-playability.
- 5. Better shipping prices. We are starting off this time with great shipping pricing for most international customers.
- 6. Yellow is a player color. The player color yellow is in the game as one of the 4 colors that comes with the base game. Orange will be the 5th player color if that stretch goal is reached.
REWARD LEVEL EXPLANATION
When you pledge toward this project we want to thank you by giving you a gift in return. If you are one of those that is pledging to see the game funded and not just so you can get something out of it, I encourage you to pick a higher reward level. By doing this, it will help us reach the $18,000 goal, more stretch goals and get it printed. Thank you for your support.
- $39 Bronze Patron Reward Level: We want to thank you by sending you one copy of The King's Abbey with all of the unlocked stretch goals. At this level, for each additional pledge of $39 we will send you another copy of the game.
- $44 Silver Patron Reward Level: We want to thank you by sending you one copy of The King's Abbey with all of the unlocked stretch goals, and your name will appear in the rule book under the "Silver Level" patrons thanking you for your support. At this level, for each additional pledge of $34 we will send you another copy.
- $139 Gold Patron Reward Level: We want to thank you by sending you 4 copies of the King's Abbey, all of the unlocked stretch goals, and your name will appear in the rule book under the "Gold Level" patrons thanking you for your support. At this level, for each additional pledge of $33 we will send you another copy of the game.
Risks and challenges
There is a first for everything. This game is a first for me. The King's Abbey was a idea that came to me one morning like a tidal wave, and I have been working very hard everyday for about a year to bring it to pass. I have collected and played more than 300 euro games, so I know what people are wanting when it comes to quality and game play. There is always a risk when helping to fund a game designer that you have never heard of. I get it, but I have worked very hard on the mechanics and the art is done by a very talented graphic designer; Anna Talanova. I have been speaking with, and taking advice of those who have gone before me with successful on Kickstarter campaigns. I am positive you will be very pleased with the quality and beauty of this game. Not to mention the gratifying fun and hours of re-playability this game has to offer! Thanks again for considering backing this project and making this game a reality!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)