Welcome to The Albatross Brand.
Stretch Goal: At $40,000 we'll be able to offer our Postal Bag in BLACK!
If you'd like a mixture of products or multiple pieces not shown at a specific reward level, just add the appropriate amount to your pledge using these prices. We will get your specific color choice and product assortment in our final survey when the campaign has ended.
Card Sleeve $12 / Card Wallet $24 / Belt $29
Anchor Hook $36 / Bifold $39 / Long Wallet $69
Postal Bag $239
It’s easy to make high quality leather products. It’s difficult to make them affordable.
The Albatross Brand is a collaborative effort between a maker and industry insider to produce high quality, beautifully designed carry goods at the most affordable price possible.
Albatross Leather Goods Feature:
- Hand selected hides featuring full grain vegetable tanned leather produced from North American Steerhide. Your choice of Natural or Black English Bridle
- Die cut parts to ensure perfect form and function every time
- 3 cord polyester stitching sewn on Campbell sewing machines
- Sanded, beveled, burnished, and wax sealed edges
- Solid brass Military Grade hardware (where applicable)
- Hand set solid copper rivets (where applicable)
- Solid Brass zippers and snaps (where applicable)
- 3 Generation guarantee
Stories are expensive, so we’ll save the tales of grandeur. Our project started after a few glasses of bourbon in 2013. We were both frustrated that the budget friendly leather goods market was one of deceptive advertising, inflated pricing, and cut corners. We knew that with our combined experience in the industry, we could make a better product for a lower price. So over the next two years, that’s exactly what we did.
- We stripped away all of the non-essentials of a company and focused on one thing alone: the product.
- We threw out the traditional wholesale retail approach, committing to deliver our product directly to our customers and save you 60% of the normal retail pricing.
- We did everything ourselves,from designing the wallets and hand sewing bag samples to drawing the logo and taking the pictures. We used our combined 20 years of experience sourcing leather, working in tanneries, constructing and hand sewing carry goods to find special producers making amazing materials at good prices. Then we lined up artisans from around the world to make our products because we wanted the best craftsmanship available. We've hired 4th generation leather artisans in Southern Mexico, Amish leather workers in the US, and European engineers to bring our products to life.
- Lastly, we tested....and tested, and refined, and tested some more. We've had almost 100 samples in constant use for over 18 months now. From fishing boats and skate parks to offices, hospitals, and college dorms, our products don't just survive everyday life...they thrive in it.
You can have any color you want, as long as it's black (or natural!)
The magic of high quality full grain leather is that it ages in reverse, looking better over time. We use only hand selected vegetable tanned hides, and we've chosen to offer two colors: Black and Natural. Our black leather is drum dyed all the way through, so the color will never fade. Our natural leather is never exposed to dyes or oils, so it arrives to you totally bare. You get to choose just how to treat it yourself. It will tan like human skin, and continue to develop patina as you use it. Over time this leather will become a deep golden brown and tell it's own story. Check out our samples below, a small selection of what we've used over the past 2 years of testing.
Last, and most important, we wanted to guarantee our customers that the products they receive are heirloom quality. So to show you we're serious, we're going to support all Albatross Brand Leather Goods against production defects for 3 generations...until your grandkids own them!
More/Larger Pictures HERE!
So What Makes Us Different?
Our Leather: Almost every wallet we found in this price range uses nice leather in visible areas, but hides cheap leather and pig skin on the inside structure to save money. Some use oil tanned leathers that were dyed to hide bug bites and scars. These cheap leathers make up the structure of the wallet (where the strength should be), and we think that's bogus. Albatross Brand Goods are constructed with 100% full grain vegetable tanned leather, and we're so confident in our hand selected hides that we offer all of our goods undyed so you can see the quality first hand.
Our Threads: Machine sewn leather wallets usually feature single cord stitching, because that's all standard sewing machines can handle. We chose a cut shop that is equipped and experienced with very specialized leather-specific Campbell sewing machines, and we chose a polyester thread that is actually 3 strands of traditional thread spun together to guarantee strength.
Our Hardware: Traditionally, carry goods in this price range feature plated hardware made from cheaper base metals. Over extended periods, this plating can wear off and the metal underneath can rust. We know our leather will outlast almost any plating job, so we chose to use only solid, rust-proof (and in many cases, military spec) metals. As a result, our hardware will age gracefully to match the leather our products are made from.
Our Finishing: One of the most time consuming parts of production is finishing the piece after it's been sewn together. It's also where most corners are cut. Because vegetable tanned leather is a natural material, the edges need to be sealed to prevent moisture. Some wallets are left unfinished to save money, resulting in edges that fray and split. Some are painted to seal the edges, but over time this paint flakes off. We chose to use only natural waxes, oils, and heat in a 5 step process to finish our edges, which results in a properly sealed seam that withstands any abuse you can throw at it and protects the leather from moisture.
Risks and challenges
Our biggest risk is delays in material production, and we are confident our highly esteemed suppliers will do whatever it takes to deliver.
With 1 successful Kickstarter campaign under our belt and almost two decades of combined experience in the leather and retail industries, we're familiar with most problems in the production process and know how to resolve them and deliver a beautiful product. We promise to keep you up-to-date on any and all issues that may arise through updates and full disclosure during the process!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)