W.A.N.T is a limited edition, illustrated book by Rachel Law & McKenzie Wark.
What is data? How do we perceive the difference between data and information? How do we define the size, shape and scale of a network? Where do we even begin? These are the fundamental questions we are trying to address in W.A.N.T.
Digital living is under an onslaught of Weaponized Adorables. They are coming for you. You will be mugged in the bright alleys of your dreams by the teddy bear horde. What you can deploy on your side is your own W.A.N.T, or Weaponized Adorables Negotiation Team. This little manual we will introduce you to them, they are like a set of superheroes ready to fight on this digital terrain.
W.A.N.T. is a beautiful book that you will want to keep under your pillow. It’s a guide to, and a refuge from, the P.R.I.S.M. of the digital.
- 12 full-bleed color spreads
- Title in gold foil stamping
- Linen cover with deep gate-fold/French fold 'pocket'
- book text in smooth vellum finish paper
- 5.5" x 6.5" perfect bound
- will only be available on Kickstarter, not published anywhere else!
We will also be producing a limited edition wood compasses,
each etched with the 12 W.A.N.T symbols. Carry it with you for your
every day negotiations. Spin the compass to call up one of twelve
- laser cut & etched on cherry wood
- 3.6" x 3.6" x 2.3"; fits perfectly into the cover fold 'pocket'
- LIMITED! only comes in prime numbers
- Numbers available, 25 prime:
2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 41 43 47 53 59 61 67 71 73 79 83 89 97
(your number will be etched on the back of your compass)
- hand-drawn pen & ink illustrations layered in montage
- 8.3" x 11.7" on archival paper
- framed & signed
- only 12 available (your choice, first come first served).
Risks and challenges
We got this! Between the two of us, we know how to write and illustrate books. We know how to produce books as beautiful objects. Getting them physically shipped out to you is a bit of a challenge, but nothing we can't manage once we lug them out of our awesome printer and into the back of a taxi.
The real challenge is to think about kickstarter as a medium for creating projects between the makers of a thing like a book and its readers. We don't know what the affordances and limitations of it are for this sort of project.
So let's find out together! Besides our beautiful book, you will also get updates on the whole process (&gifs. &<3s. &other cool stuff!!!) so we can share with you our adventures in conceptual design.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)