Students can choose to study biology, geology, zoology, psychology, and now....Scratchology!
What is Scratch Academy? It is a place where at-risk students can learn the art of deejaying. I am a professional deejay and want to use my craft to provide an avenue for youth to cope with society's stresses, and also to express their identity. I want to nurture their creativity and actively engage them through music.
This started when the music teacher at my daughter's school left, and we were informed that students would no longer have any music classes this year. I couldn't believe that music was not going to be taught in my daughter's school, but after checking with other parents and teachers across Colorado, I realized that this was not an anomaly. Music classes are disappearing in many schools as budget shortages leave schools struggling to fund many of their during and after school programs.
So that's when the idea hit me: why not provide an extracurricular music class for students and teach them a craft that will draw on their creativity strengths. Denver Music Institute is willing to provide a space suitable for teaching classes every Monday and Wednesday from 4:30pm to 6pm per quarter. Instructors would be volunteers (myself and another professional DJs). If there is growth of interest in the program, I would love to add a third class on Saturdays.
The beginners' class will be the perfect starting point for students looking to learn to DJ. My hands-on instruction will teach them the fundamentals of mixing, blending, and scratching. No matter the student's music preferences, the beginners' class will teach them the fundamentals to get started on their journey. All necessary equipment will be provided for students, including:
- 15 Numark Mixdeck Express DJ controllers ($500 each)
- 15 external Hard Drives
- 17 DJ headphones
- Adjustable height tables
The beginners' class will include:
• DJ history
• Basic music theory & song structure
• Ins & outs of equipment (turntables, mixers, speakers, etc.)
• Basic scratching & timing
More advanced classes will include:
- Speaker placement
- How to read your audience's behavior
- Instrutment integration
- Combining live music within their performances
- Recording a radio show or podcast
We will start with a class of 15 and grow from there, based on the different levels and interests. As students advance, proper training will allow them the opportunity to use the following equipment:
- 4 Technics Turntables ($700/pair, servicing cost of $35)
- 4 pairs of Performance Needles (Ortofon Made From Scratch Pair)
- 2 DJ mixers
- 2 DJ stands
Please help us to reach students through music by funding this unique program!
Risks and challenges
Risks and Challenges:
1. Equipment being stolen
2. Rapid Growth
3. Piracy issues in terms of music downloads
4. Private classes scheduling conflict
1. All equipment will be locked in a secured spaced and inventoried at the end of each class. We can also use DJ controllers that will cut the cost of servicing and eliminate the worry of parts being stolen etc.
2. There is an additional space that will be used for advanced students, addition days for classes can also be added to rooster in terms of pride growth.
3. All music is purchased directly off Music Pool site BPMSupreme, that can be used by all users within the classes. (Web based)
4. Private classes will only be hosted on days that aren't associated to group classes.
- (30 days)