About this project
Helping girls Navigate Tricky Feelings WELL
Less than 24 hours to go!!!
4 Days left!!!
How Fantastic. We have passed our minimum target - The Bella Journey is now a reality!! Couldn't have done it without you.
We have come this far NOW WE NEED YOU!
Half Way Point Update!
We are running fast toward our goal! 83% Funded! Woo Hooo!!
Wow that's fantastic! Thank you so much. We genuinely can't do this without your pre-orders and support. Love you to keep sharing the word, we are in a great position but if we do not reach our goal we cannot go ahead.
People have asked how they can order more than one reward / pledge. Unfortunately, on Kickstarter it is only possible to pledge to each project once from a single bank account/credit card. The only way to order an additional reward is to use a different card/account or contact Tracy through the 'Ask a question' box at the bottom of project.
Thank you for standing with our girls! Love Tracy
Here’s a quick rundown. Crowd funding gives people the opportunity to back (support) new projects and as an incentive, be the first to receive rewards (in our case books and resources). It’s much more than just raising funds and placing orders though. It’s a way of getting our message out to the world.
We have set a Funding goal that is the bare minimum of what we need to continue. If we don’t get enough funds to reach our goal, we don’t receive any funds at all!. You will receive your funds back, however we will not be able to use this process to produce the books and other rewards. In reality this is a partnership between our backers and us - we are a team!! We need you to help Birth Bella! Let’s do this together!
If you’d like further information on The Bella Journey there’s lots below, read on or jump right in and support us now by clicking on the “BACK THIS PROJECT” tab to the right of our video and select the amount you’d like to give as support and the reward you would like to receive. All rewards (pre orders) will be in your hands before Christmas.
If you think This Bella project is worthwhile, Please share the link with others, far and wide. You can do this by sending the link to your networks via email or share it on social media sites.
Thank you !! On behalf of girls worldwide and The Bella Journey.
Why is this project so important and valuable?
Tragically the statistics show us that young people are struggling to deal effectively with the tricky emotions that arise as they journey through adolescence and teenage hood.
The following statistics are from Australia but they reflect an issue which is at alarming rates around the world. As we have shared far and wide about the Bella Journey, it is rare that we find someone who is untouched by these issues.
- Suicide is the biggest killer of our young people & accounts for more deaths of young people than car accidents.
- Evidence suggests that 75% of mental health conditions emerge by age 24 and half by age 14.
- One in four young people aged 16 to 24 currently has a mental health condition. This is equivalent to 746,000 young people today in Australia alone.
- One in 16 young people is currently experiencing depression.
- One in 6 young Australians is currently experiencing an anxiety condition.
A recent study found that the top issues of concern to young people were coping with stress, school or study problems, body image, depression and family conflict.
Statistics courtesy of Beyond Blue 2014
Recent News articles raising awareness of just how serious these issues are (click on picture to read article)
The Bella Journey is all about PREVENTION. Supporting girls and their families with engaging, beautiful, fun and well researched tools and frameworks to help girls from as young as 8 to begin to know what it means to Navigate difficult emotions and circumstances WELL.
The Bella Journey will be a series of 5 books in which the main character Bella travels into and through her teenage years and in the process learns how to love herself well alongside of difficult emotions and challenging situations. She understands and uses strategies to move forward when she feels stuck and in the process also learns to identify what she truly values about herself and life and how to live out these values in a practical way.
Each book uses a fresh and engaging approach to deal with important themes and will be accompanied with a treasure box of resources. Themes include:
- Family separation
- Sadness & Grief
- Tricky friendships
- Social media
Resources will Include:
- Activity Kit with Journals
- Guided story and relaxation meditations
- Craft activities
- Videos on the themes covered
The Bella Website is also accompanied by the Facebook page which facilitates discussion, presents new and relevant insights and enables everyone to be part of ‘The Bella Journey movement.” http://www.facebook.com/thebellajourney
All of these are Resources are beautifully vintage themed (which girls love and want more of !).
These resources are based on well research counseling and psychotherapy principles and theories and can be used by individuals, families, schools and health professional.
Example of draft Cover Art work so far
So how do I know Tracy and Team Bella can pull this off?
Tracy currently runs a busy private practice where she specializes in counselling and therapy focusing on supporting people to understand and deal with issues such as anxiety, self-harm, depression and self-worth. Helping people deal with these is her passion and she believes that if we can focus on prevention strategies, the need for crisis intervention will decrease dramatically.
The Bella Journey offers resources that are based on well researched psychological principles. All books and resources are beautifully hand crafted, modern and engaging. I want all girls to fall in love with Bella and see themselves and their friends in the pages. They are designed for all girls and families to engage with as a way to pave their way to emotional resilience.
There really isn't anything else out there quite like this. The Bella Journey series is not just for girls who are dealing with existing emotional challenges, but a preventative tool based on the story of “Bella” as she travels through a magical world into and through her teenage years. Girls will find this journey appealing and relatable and in through the sneaky back door they pick up excellent tools and skills to help them talk about and learn the importance of their different emotions and how to ensure these are managed in a healthy, rather than destructive way
Why use a story and internet based resources
Who doesn't love a good story? We meet Bella at 8 yrs and journey with her through to 16. The books and resources are designed to stimulate discussion and provide a framework for young people to feel free to talk about emotional issues they are confronting.
In 2012, a survey found that 78.3% of young Australians turned to the internet as their primary source of advice. It is therefore critical that we link the books with vibrant, engaging resources that can be accessed over the internet. (Mission Australia Survey, 2012 as reported by the Australia Psychological Society).
We first meet Bella and her close companion “Jack” her dog, when Bella is 8 years old. She’s playful, sparky and has a big wide imagination. Bella like many kids is totally in love with her Mum and Dad and feels like her world begins to shake as her family struggles with all too common issues and challenges.
From the first book Bella starts to notice her anxious, fearful, shy and confused parts show up more and more often and journeys to discover living a life of adventure and joy alongside of tricky emotions.
Bella books are magical, funny, quirky, real and practical.
As Bella navigates through the ups and downs of her life, she discovers new ways of seeing and experiencing things and begins to develop a framework to navigate difficult feelings and circumstances while embracing play, humor and gratitude.
Bella is also exposed to the struggles faced by others and through this learns the power of being compassionate and leading a life aligned to the things she truly values.
Girls of all ages will fall in love with Bella and her quirky sense of humor as she grows in knowing what it truly means to love herself WELL and be a force for good in this world.
Who will love 'The Bella Journey’ Books & Resources
The Bella Journey is primarily focused on girls from 8 to 16 years old but because they address common issues that we all struggle with and convey proven therapies in an appealing way, they will also appeal to:
- Parents and Carers
- Women who recognise they are struggling with their emotions and are seeking a positive, appealing approach to understanding and supporting themselves through difficult feelings and circumstances.
- Teachers / School counsellors / Chaplains
- Youth groups and Youth networks such as the YWCA and Girl Guides
- Psychologists, doctors, counsellors, hypnotherapists and other health professionals
- Family Support Services
- Mental Health Institutions
- Government funded health initiatives
The Bella Journey is endorsed by Doctors, School principles and Clinical Psychologists
The first 2 books have already been drafted however there is a long way to go before they can be released. The majority of the funds will be used for production costs.
Following is a breakdown of what the funds will be used to cover:
• Photography and backgrounds
• Book and workbook Graphic Design
• Obtaining ISBN numbers
• Professional Editing
• Registration fees and costs associated with getting listed in online bookstores
• Printing and production of the books
• Website development
The goal amount will not fully cover these but will provide us with enough to commence the journey and provide the rewards.
STRETCH-GOAL $100 000:
So for those who like more details - What themes will each of the 5 Books cover?
1. Bella from Behind the Tree. A story about how to love all the emotional parts of you. The journey Begins – introduces you to Bella, sets the theoretical ‘Ego State ‘ framework and what it means to love yourself WELL. This story begins to introduce the reader to some of the challenges that Bella faces.
2. Bella Tames her WAFS, (Worry, Anxiety, Fear and Stress). Bella begins to learn how to fully love herself through Anxiety, Stress & Fear.1920’s art deco circus themed.
3. Bella and the Planet of Sadness. 1940s aviator space theme. Specifically about learning to understand and deal with grief, sadness and depression.
4. Bella makes room for her Gratitude and Compassion. Bella learns that understanding and responding to the needs of others helps her to appreciate life and become emotionally resilient. Profits from this internationally themed book will be used to fund a Community Development project focused on young people. Book will come with a ‘Bella Rag Doll’ that is made by women in Eastern Indonesia who currently live below the poverty line.
5. Bella Follows her Heart Path Nautical Bella learns the importance of living a life aligned with her values. This builds on the experience and lessons learnt in previous books and provides tools to help girls identify the things in life that they really value.
Lets get this baby birthed together!!!!!
Risks and challenges
Risks and challenges
I am very confident about the books and resources as they are an extension of what I have provided to my clients over many years. The whole production and distribution of the books and resources is new to me though.
We have already done allot of research on these aspects and I am surrounded by great people to help me so I am confident that while it is will be a challenge, it will be an exciting journey which I am adequately supported to achieve.
I am also committed to sharing the journey with you and will keep you updated on progress and any challenges that we may face along the way.
While I have been drafting these books I have found myself constantly going back and enhancing the earlier books to better complement the later books. I also anticipate that this will occur as I develop the resources and think of new and better ways to link them with each book.
I am committed to making these as wonderful and helpful as possible, while also being confident that I can produce the final products within the time frames given.
I am aware this is a big project to pull off but we are busting at the seams to get this done and committed to doing whatever it takes to make “The Bella Journey” – books and resources - a Reality...
Support this project
- (30 days)