About this project
EACH ARTIST HAS A STORY: Take part in providing the platform for them to share their story with the world!
- What we do: we are an art/apparel organization designed to inspire social responsibility through the creative expression of at-risk artists.
- Mission: to positively change the lives of impacted artists by bringing them greater opportunity for higher education and sustainable lifestyles. We offer products featuring artwork created by artists that are impacted by obstacles in their lives, such as: homelessness, mental illness, bullying, combat, and more. We are looking to work with all types of causes and impacted individuals.
- Social Responsibility: For each product we sell, depending on the artist's needs, part of the profit goes towards an educational scholarship for the at-risk artist or towards their sustainable living. Another part of the profit is invested into expressive art programs. We have partnered with non-profit organizations, such as, the Monarch School in San Diego, and A Reason to Survive (ARTS), who provide at-risk or under privileged artists with an art program. Our partners have provided us with the opportunity to build relationships with their artists who design artwork for our organization.
- Our Team: The AWR Team is made up of creative and hardworking individuals and comprised of graduates and current students from San Diego State University.
- Our Philosophy: COMMUNITY - A wardrobe is something you should feel proud to wear. By supporting our fellow humans and wearing clothing that stands for something, we are reminded of the positive impact we can make on one another, especially those of us who are in need.
- How it works: The artists submit their artwork to us by scanning it or taking a high quality photo of their art to make it into a digital image. Our community of artists and fans vote on their favorite artwork and the highest rated artwork is chosen to be printed onto AWR apparel. For the highest quality and a timely delivery, we've decided to do our manufacturing locally in San Diego, California. After the products are created, our team at Art Without a Roof personally prepare and package your products to be shipped out to you.
FREE GIFTS FOR OUR BACKERS!!!
OMG!! NEW REWARDS!!
Hey backers!! We are almost at our goal! We are so blessed to have the support from our community and beyond. As a BIG THANK YOU for helping us get to our goal we are RELEASING THE FOLLOWING REWARDS!!:
First off we have a NEW EXCLUSIVE TOTE BAG that is sporting original artwork by INOCENTE!
As well as our THIRD BUNDLE including ONE POCKET TANK, TOTE, and STICKER for only $49!!!
THATS NOT IT!! We also have TWO NEW PRINTS FOR YOU ALL TO CHOOSE FROM!!
AWR intentionally partners with organizations that provide art programs for at-risk artists. Through our contributions, we will fund the first crucial steps our artists need to receive higher education and stimulate long-term success. By encouraging at-risk individuals to create art, it will help them to build resilience, promote self-awareness, and improve self-esteem. With your help we can change the lives of at-risk artists and help expand expressive arts programs across the country.
We are looking to raise at least $25,000 that we will use to create our product line, and to finish the development of our website so that at-risk artists from around the country are able to submit digital images of their artwork to be printed onto our apparel.
15% net profit is invested in the artist's educational scholarship, which, depending on the artist's needs, can provide for: basic needs, tutoring, GED completion, and/or a college scholarship.
5% net profit is invested into expanding expressive art programs locally in Southern California and across the country.
Monarch School in San Diego serves kindergarteners through twelfth graders who are impacted by homelessness. They are "committed to helping their students prepare for a successful future and life after Monarch." http://www.monarchschools.org
A Reason To Survive (ARTS) is an art facility "dedicated to creating a movement behind the importance of the arts as a prevention and intervention vehicle to create positive transformation in children and youth facing adversity. http://www.areasontosurvive.org/arts/
Apparel Options (sizing, color, ect.):
We will send an email survey to request any information we need to deliver you and your fellow backers’ rewards. Survey questions may include shipping address, size, color or other project-specific preferences.
Surveys are sent by the creator only after a project has been successfully funded (and the project has met its deadline). If you think you might have missed a survey email, please log in to your Kickstarter account to check — you’ll see a yellow notification bar at the top of the site for any missed surveys. Once you complete a survey, you'll receive an email confirmation that includes a copy of your responses.
Risks and challenges
Risks and Challenges
Over the past ten months, our team has been working diligently researching, designing, and manufacturing prototypes of our products. Within that time span, through trials and tribulations of perfecting the stitching of our pockets and making sure all of our products are made in a socially conscious way, we are ready to Kickstart the Art Without a Roof product line. All of the money spent so far has come directly from the co-founders, recent graduates from San Diego State University. In order for us to grow further we need the Kickstarter community's support. Once we raise $25,000 in scholarship funds, we will be able to secure an official scholarship fund for our artists at the San Diego Foundation. An expansion of our business to new communities may bring some uncertainties. Luckily, we are working with companies within San Diego who are used to manufacturing at a high volume. We want our customers to know that we will always be transparent about potential challenges.
Shipping: We have set a side extra time for the manufacturing process and we are more than confident that we will ship by the projected dates, although there is always a chance that the production process will take longer than expected. We will be in constant contact with our backers throughout the kickstarter project. Also, for backers in the United States – shipping and handling are included in the price.
Manufacturers: We have carefully chosen specific manufacturers in San Diego, CA who have proven to us time after time that their manufacturing process is top of the line and that they produce their art prints and garments in a timely manner.
For international backers - anytime you purchase a product from another country that product is subject to Customs, Duties, Taxes and Fees. These fees are applied once the product crosses into your country. We will still be shipping all products to the address you provide, but you may be charged additional CDT.
Here are some terms you may see.
VAT - Value added tax
GST- Goods and services tax
CDT - Customs duties and taxes
Please research your customs, duties, taxes and fees for your country. As an international backer you will be responsible for and to pay these fees, taxes, and duties.
The entire Art Without a Roof Team!
Special thanks for video appearances by our partners and artists:
A Reason to Survive (ARTS), Monarch School San Diego, Inocente, Andrea Chacon, Ulises Izucar, Alicia Osuna, Stephanie Jacobo, Jessica Petrikowski, Christina Posada, Zaphire Alonso, Will Barton, Hannah Bowen, and Kelsey Kenny.
Thank you to Alex Drachnik Photography.
Thank you to the Zahn Innovation Center at San Diego State University!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (32 days)