1750: Britain vs. France
1750: Britain vs. France
Use military might and diplomacy to defeat your old enemy in a struggle for colonial supremacy. Dominate the globe!
Use military might and diplomacy to defeat your old enemy in a struggle for colonial supremacy. Dominate the globe! Read more
What is 1750?
Throughout the 18th century, Britain and France waged a bloody series of wars for nothing short of global domination. Massive sailing warships, armies of bayonet-wielding soldiers, and their skilled allies fought for control of North American, African, and Indian colonies. In many ways this was the first "world war". 1750 is a 2-player card-based strategy game, using both dice and cards to fight for control of the board. One player plays as Britain and the other plays as France, wielding forces to decide the outcome of this struggle.
- Recruit generals and admirals from the 7 Years' War (French and Indian War) and the War of the Austrian Succession, and send other military forces to take colonies by force.
- Engage in political efforts to persuade other world powers to enter the conflict on your side and bring their resources to the fight.
- Historically accurate colonies produce exports to add to your economy.
- Play historic event cards at decisive moments to turn the tide of battle, destroying enemy units and influencing dice rolls. - All cards in 1750 feature the amazing paintings from this era.
- Your goal is to have more colonies than your opponent at the end of the game, with the tiebreaker going to the side with more captured enemy leaders in their prison.
GAMEPLAY / HOW TO PLAY VIDEOS:
"Really fun, high intensity, & quick. It has deep strategic elements to it and a rule-set / game length that is accessible to all." - Rick from Let's Level Up
"Feels like playing through a history lesson... but not just an educational game... I actually compare this very favorably to Twilight Struggle. Deep, complex.... but still very easy to get into" - Nick from Board Game Brawl.
A great write-up from one of our backers: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1228785/1750-preview
"This is a card flipping, dice chucking, thematic work of art."
Let's Level Up Preview:
Board Game Brawl Preview:
GreyElephant Gaming Preview:
Jason talking through gameplay:
- Alternate image versions of Local Allies (6 additional copies, 3 per side)
- Alternate image version of the historic event "Regional Power Joins Your Side"
- Alternate image version of Louis XV (an additional copy)
- Alternate image version George II (an additional copy)
- Upgrade to "Ivorycore" playing cards
- I will add more stretch goals if this level is reached.
Who I am and why I made this game:
I'm Jason Huffman, creator of 1750. I have loved history my entire life. I can remember picking up a book about this war from my library when I was a child and it totally capturing my imagination. To this day, I still love learning about wars throughout history. I have also loved playing tabletop games my entire life. Battle Hardened Games is my effort to combine my love of history with my love of gaming.
My top priority is to deliver a very fun game, whether you are a history fan or not. But I do hope that you will learn a little bit about this period. It's a really fascinating period of history that led to so many other critical developments around the world. I also hope that some educators will consider using this game as a framework for discussing this time period, particularly the leaders, battles, economics, and geography involved.
Why I need your support / Why back now:
I need your help to bring this project to life- I simply cannot do it alone. The total cost for development and ordering the minimum print run from this manufacturer will ultimately cost over $40,000. I have already covered a lot of the costs of graphic design, but I can't move forward with the project without your help. Even if the funding goal is met, more funding will still help the product become better in terms of components and quality as stretch goals are met.
Other than helping me accomplish my dream, here are some reasons to back now:
1) Be the first to own this game (I will not offer the game for retail sale until after all Kickstarter copies have been shipped out).
2) There may be a very limited supply of this game. I do not intend to order many copies of the game beyond the quantity needed for this campaign, so supply may be quite limited. Even if it is successful, there will be a significant time lag before another print run is available.
3) Shipping cost is incorporated into the pricing for the US, Canada, UK and Germany. I have also reduced the price if you order multiple copies, leveraging the savings involved with consolidated shipping. These benefits may or may not be available in the future.
I definitely appreciate your interest and would love to have you carry 1750 in your store! I have tried to discount the game significantly at the Monarch (10 units) level, but feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or proposals.
I will be using Fulfillment by Amazon to fulfill and ship 1750. Games will be shipped from Panda Game Manufacturing via freight to Amazon Fulfillment centers in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., and Germany. There are no additional shipping costs to backers in these countries.
Customs and VAT (in the case of the EU) will be paid at the port of entry. I will mark these games as "Kickstarter rewards" on any customs forms using the manufacturing cost as the commercial value of the game. Games will be shipped from the US, Canada, UK, and Germany based on your location.
Western Europe- Add $8 per pledge. In other words, whether you order 1 copy of the game or 10 copies, just add the $8 to your pledge level one time and not once per copy of the game. Applies to the following countries:
Austria, Italy, Belgium, Ireland, Denmark, Netherlands, Finland, Portugal, France, Sweden, Greece, Spain, Luxembourg.
Central Europe- Add $20 for the first copy of the game. If you order multiple copies, the first copy is $20, and each additional copy is $8. For example, if you ordered 3 copies (a CAPTAIN pledge), your shipping charge is 20+8+8=$36 total. Applies to the following countries:
Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Malta, Romania, Slovakia.
All other countries (not listed above):
Add $40 for the first copy of the game. Add an additional $20 for every additional copy of the game you order after the first. For example, if you ordered 3 copies (a CAPTAIN pledge), your shipping charge is 40+20+20=$80 total. If I can figure out more reliable and cost effective ways to ship internationally in the future I will implement them, but right now I'm unfortunately not able to offer international shipping at lower rates. All backers are responsible for any local duties and taxes. I will mark these games as "Kickstarter rewards" on any customs forms using the manufacturing cost as the commercial value of the game.
Risks and challenges
Over the past year, I have been studying the relevant production, shipping, and fulfillment considerations to get 1750 to you as quickly as possible. There are of course risks in terms of production delays and delays in shipping the product.
I am working with Panda Game Manufacturing to produce the game. Based on their other products, I am confident about the quality of the games they produce, but will work closely with them and verify that the quality of this game is no different than their other efforts. I will also work with them to produce the game as quickly as possible after the campaign ends.
On the shipping and fulfillment front, PGM will also handle the majority of shipping and I will use Amazon for fulfillment. From my perspective, PGM involvement with shipping helps mitigate the complexity of the overall operation. The size and reliability of Amazon should also reduce some of the risks of getting the fulfillment done quickly and efficiently.
Above all else, my promise is to work with a sense of urgency and to tenaciously and quickly attack any problems that arise. I will remain open and keep you updated throughout this process.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)