Dynasty of the Magi - MMO and eBook in one!
Dynasty of the Magi - MMO and eBook in one!
Fantasy e-book series integrated in a MMO. Players compete on quests from the book, for good or evil, the results crafted in next book.
Fantasy e-book series integrated in a MMO. Players compete on quests from the book, for good or evil, the results crafted in next book. Read more
DYNASTY OF THE MAGI
Fantasy eBook series integrated in a MMO. Players, both on the side of good or on the side of evil, compete in the MMO on quests taken from the book, with the results crafted in next book.
I've been a sci-fi/fantasy fan since childhood, reading all offerings within the genre. Comic books, novels, short stories, graphic novels—you name it, I read it. It’s inevitable that I became an avid role-playing and video gamer, playing and reading everything I could get my hands on.
This experience made me wonder:
What would it be like to experience adventure in a game-world linked to an epic? Could a highly detailed fantasy book be created at the game’s inception—something like Lord of the Rings, but for contemporary readers? And could those readers, by playing the game, interact with the author and developers at the creative level—where your game play could determine the emerging plot in the books to follow, and eventually determining the outcome of the book series?
With this in mind, I spent 15 years developing the DYNASTY OF THE MAGI epic fantasy universe and role playing game, with its own custom magic system and epochs of mystic history, complete with the first novel of the DYNASTY OF THE MAGI series, Rites of Passage.
Rites of Passage
All humans possess enchanted souls capable of great magic.
Yet, our powerful souls sleep, and we remain ignorant of the kingdoms of the Under World and Outer World warring around us. Only a few prepare for the Under World invasion, when the sorcerers and the undead will cross the Veil into our world, to cull the enchanted and feed on their greatest prize—our sleeping souls
Faro, a young geek in the hood, just wants to survive the summer in gang-ridden East Orange, NJ without getting shot. Stalked by violent gangs, he escapes to the museums of New York City, seeking solace in art. At night, Faro dreams of magic, riding an enchanted Egyptian ship captained by Han-re the Sphinx upon a Van Gogh Starry Night sky river, to Outer World New York City. Faro awakes without memory of his dreams until he stumbles onto Cian, a beautiful girl clothed in secrets with an unearthly sense of what’s going to happen next. Cian leads him to the Van Gogh painting Starry Night at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The painting comes alive like the sky river in Faro’s dreams, and Cian awakens Faro’s mystic memories with an enchanted kiss. Faro learns he’s a magus from an ancient order called the Dynasty and Cian is an enchanted muse and his soul mate.
Traveling again to Outer World New York City, he must survive the deadly Rites of Passage to become a Warrior Magi. Cian, haunted by visions of the Under World invasion and treachery, resists the attraction between Faro and her. Faro peruses her and her secrets as the magic world and Waking World collide and the Under World begins to cull the enchanted. Hunted, Faro must use an epochs old dark power to survive and unravel the secrets, traps, and betrayals set for him—without losing Cian or his own soul—before all is lost.
I pitched the concept of the story and game ecosystem to publishers. While I received interest in the book, the idea of merging the book with the game was not as well received; within that business environment, games and books were segmented, and one served as commercial stepping stone for the other. The idea of creating a interactive ecosystem with the author, readers, and gamers at the center of immersive content of the game and book—that idea did not fit in the regimented publishing formula.
Meanwhile, the technology emerged to make possible this union of rich book with role-playing game. The iPad possessed the processing acumen and elegant design to host enhanced eBooks and intense massive multi-player online games, making it the consummate platform for integrating an eBook and MMO game into one adroit experience. I was excited. While the support from publishers was lacking, the idea of a fantasy book series with game integration was possible. Thus, I launched the start-up, PoetCode.
Integrating the eBook & MMO enter the liMMO
PoetCode began work with its development partners at App Partners Development. Together they produced the 3-D MMO Words of Power and its seamless interactive integration of the eBook, Rites of Passage. We designated this new product the liMMO—literary immersive Massive Multiplayer Online game.
The liMMO Ecosystem
The liMMO ecosystem is created by aptly integrating the next generation interactive eBook with the 3-D mobile multi-player online game (MMO), on the tablet device, creating an interactive experience that puts the reader/gamer (RG) at the heart of the game and the fantasy book series by:
1) Reading the stand alone interactive fantasy eBook Rites of Passage, which unlocking content and powers for the game through numerous interactions in the eBook.
2) Creating a character in the fantasy world in the linked 3-D MMO Words of Power.
3) Inviting friends from social networks (Facebook, twitter, email) and play together on true MMO!
4) Playing an ally of the protagonist or the antagonist in the MMO Words of Power
5) Defeating players allied with the opposing side and successfully completing quests
The results of these five actions by players affect developments in the next book of the series, The Culling.
This seamless integration and plot interaction is achieved through the liMMO ecosystem creative series process whereby:
- The author writes game critical quests from unresolved subplots in the current novel for the MMO.
- The resolution of these subplots will give advantage to the good or the evil side in the following book.
- The author then takes the results and crafts the next book advancing the story and provides new critical quests and plot twists for the next integrated game.
- The gamer then becomes the reader, seeing how his actions affected the plot and continues the adventure in MMO with new quests and content from the novel.
The liMMO ecosystem allows the readers to game-interact with the author and other content creators and to see their success crafted in the next book in a way that deeply affects the heroes’, villains’ and other gamers’ fate in Words of Power!
What will we do with the Funding?
We are not DONE!
Our game is designed to interact with the reader/gamer and to give maximum immersive content as the story emerges, contrary to breaking it up into separate ancillary revenue streams.
So who better to become a founding member—even a new character added to the lore of the DYNASTY OF THE MAGI—and to give us the opportunity to add even more content and take the liMMO experience to the next level!
NYC COMICCON PRESS
We learned this from listening to the Sci-Fi gamers, readers, and fans at NYC COMIC-CON! We took our first prototype to NYC COMIC-CON, receiving an amazing response to our liMMO and generating requests from gamers to take it to Kickstarter!
The pledge process of Kickstarter allows us to invite our audience to participate in the expansion of the world and even to become greater stakeholders in the world, its history and its lore at the beginning!
We will use the pledges to add more content for MAGI update 1.0 and for the release of the next part of the series, The Culling. If we exceed our goals, we will expand the reach of the game by porting across several gaming platforms, by making the eBook available in all readers, and by advancing the AI and game graphics. At the same time, we will continue to interact with the players to customize aspects of the DYNASTY OF THE MAGI franchise through direct input to the development team and author.
While we initially ask for funding to expand the first phase, we have a lengthy and innovative expansion list. Cross-platform integration allows us to expand the DYNASTY world, bring more content to the reader and gamer, and design a larger, more robust game. Mobile platforms, PC/Mac platforms, graphic novels, and other story formats will be integrated into our liMMO. The liMMO is effortlessly scalable and will carry us across multiple game and entertainment channels, including mobile console games.
As a result, we are immediately prepared to advance our stretch goals beyond the stage of cross-platform into a fully immersive console- and PC-level experience, and then develop even more advance Interactive AI.
THE AWARDS: Great Magi Gifts!
SECTION 2: VISION AND OBJECTIVES
OVER THE HORIZON
Corporate Vision: PoetCode
1) Fantasy novel series seamlessly integrated in a Cross-platform MMO that immerses the Reader/Gamer within the story and empowers them to become key players in the world’s creation
This begins with the integration of eBook and role-playing Game by allowing the reader to continue with adventure, to recruit friends while or after reading the eBook or playing the Game, and then change the course of the plot by completing quests.
We do not stop there, however. We wish to cross the horizon of what a book and game can become, and redefine the experience by cross-platforming our interactive experience across the digital media universe and by multiplying our interactions with our audience.
The RG audience will, through the liMMO, help shape the next eBook in the series, any spinoff graphic novels, and any short stories. The liMMO will serve as the PoetCode vehicle across multiple game and entertainment platforms, including mobile tablet, Mac &PC, Facebook, console games and smartphones, and our readers will be the audience and shapers of the legends that emerge.
Dynasty of the Magi
Rites of Passage & Words of Power
Authored & Created
Nicole Rachanow Garvin Executive Producer
Edited by Catherine Adams, Inkslinger Editing LLC
Yury Pavlotsky Technical Director
Michael Rankin Art Director
Drew Johnson Producer
Justin LeClair Lead Design
Veronica Nizama Assistant Art Director
Gregory Guidone Quality Assurance Director
Patrick Antoine Programmer
Matthew Wyman Programmer
Daniel Bordoley Programmer
Allison Frank 3D Artist
Alberto Tirado 3D Artist
Anthony Velez 3D Artist
Jenna Croarkin Texture Artist
Rachel Dorrett Artist
Joshua Eiten Artist
Rachel Shumel Artist
Justin Boring Artist
Derrick Xu Sound Design
Adam Watts Tester
Joseph Pagano Tester
Evan Hovaniak Tester
Justin Dambra Tester
Risks and challenges
1) Design and Development risks. Fortuitously, the greatest risk was the design, development, and proof of concept. This has already been accomplished. The prototype has been developed, then played by over a thousand gamers at NYC Comic-Con—quickly becoming well received by fans and industry peers alike.
2) Independent growth: Using smaller size and scale to our advantage, we can nimbly and quickly build our MMO and series connections with the readers by getting their feedback, then incorporating that input within a process scalable from thousands to a million readers. What we have learned already is that we need to establish a strong connection to the Fantasy and gamer fans to guide the project through the next stages.
3) Marketing: Spread the word! Since this is a new project and new type of game/book combination, communicating and exposing the core strengths and unique aspects of the game and book to our core market is critical. To this end, we will use some of the funds gathered to further market the project.
4) Barriers to entry: the Game Publisher – Established Game companies and publishers experimenting with different forms of interactive novels and enriched game content will attempt to assimilate the linked interactive novel/game model of PoetCode upon successful release. We have applied for patents to protect the code that integrates the book to the game, the various quest and the author interactions with the audience. In addition, the DYNASTY OF MAGI series is highly developed fantasy world offering robust and innovative creative content of an 11-book series with over 10 years of developed content. This emerging content is crafted from its inception to be interactive, playable and integrated into the storyline of an ongoing game.
5) Book/eBook barrier to market entry: Publishers with catalogs of Sci-fi/Fantasy authors under contract will be slow to react due to their slow lead times to publishing and cost prohibitive author royalty contracts. In order to capitalize on an author’s creativity to seamlessly integrate their novels into games, they will be forced to update their royalty contracts, which will activate the “me too clause” endemic in the all other author contacts under their umbrella. This will create a prohibitive cascading cost increase across the board if the traditional publishers adjusts just one new compensation contract, and will prohibit them from capitalizing on their portfolio of author creativity and adjust normal royalty compensation for eBooks or the new EPA’s. PoetCode as a LLC avoids being tangled in prohibitive royalty contracts, while availing itself of traditional publishers’ reach and economy of scale. Finally, the creative content of the eleven book series will avail the powerful protection of copyright law allowing further growth and seamless cross-platform integration.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)