Magical girls are real, but the pay sucks! Join the Union of Magical Girls as they fight to protect the city from evildoers by day, and fight to become unionised by night.
Next Stretch Goal: Kaiju Chaos!
- Get blown up to ridiculous sizes to punch some skyscraper sized monsters!
- Help expand the art and music budget for the game!
- Take on the brainwashed zombie hordes in tactical, turn-based combat.
- Your magical familiars gave you these powers, but now they expect you to fight evil for free? Negotiate better pay or employment benefits based on your performance.
- Get to know the inhabitants of the struggling convenience store where you and your family live and work. Power up your abilities by making new social connections.
- Loaded with dorky humour and 90s magical girl anime tropes.
- At least 3-5 hours of gameplay.
Due to your overwhelming power levels, the enemies can't actually hurt you, so the focus is on defeating enemies as quickly as possible to gain higher rewards and bargaining power when the battle ends.
Of course, not all enemies are brainless zombies, and you'll have to contend with many abilities designed to impede your pursuit of a perfect score!
Outside of battle you'll be able to invest your precious time and money into building up your social links through visual novel style conversations:
- Help the convenience store clerk find romance!
- Try to lure out the NEET who lives in the storage cupboard!
- Waste all your money on gacha machines to try and impress a small child!
How the heck are you supposed to have a social life with no money or free time? After every battle you'll get to lead the Union of Magical Girls in collective bargaining to determine your reward based on how well you fought and how many gems you gathered.
Don't let them take your dental plan!
Meet the Heroes
Our protagonist has been working as a magical girl for 4 years now. Having to fight evildoers every night instead of focusing on homework eventually led to her flunking out of high school with no marketable skills, meaning she's pretty much stuck doing this full time!
In battle, she is able to summon the spirits of her closest friends and family to fight on her behalf. The closer the bond, the tougher an ally they'll make.
She's a child prodigy with a pouch full of volatile chemicals. The Magical Science Angel is here to blow up your heart!
In battle, she leaves nothing to chance, relying on her trusty magical bazooka to target multiple enemies at once in devastating chain attacks.
A hero of self-proclaimed modesty (she came up with the name herself), this daughter of a wealthy family is in it for the fame and adoration.
In battle, she can use luck to strike with her rapier multiple times in a row.
The main purpose of this Kickstarter is to help pay for the things I can't do myself, such as art and music. The game has 4 funding targets, each of which will allow me to pay my collaborators a fair price and further enhance the finished product:
I'll be able to deliver the main story as planned, and to a high visual standard, including portrait artwork for all of the NPCs.
Take a trip to the beach in this tropical side story. Featuring a new location, new enemies and, of course, cute, fully-illustrated alternate costumes to unlock!
This milestone will also help a lot in enabling me to invest more into the soundtrack, ensuring that the game sounds as great as possible.
Visit the arcade in this Beauty Knight side story. Find out who keeps beating her precious high scores, beat up some exclusive new enemy types and unlock a new and unique power!
At this milestone I shall be able to enlist the help of an additional artist to provide animated backgrounds for the visual novel sections.
Something has gone very wrong, in a very big way, at Magical Science Laboratories. Only a giant sized team of magical girls could possibly deal with this giant sized threat!
A challenge is raised. There's a rival magical squad in town, and they've decided to take your turf.
- Pledge £3 or more to get a copy of the game on your platform of choice.
- Please be aware that Nintendo Switch copies will only be available for the American, European, Australian and New Zealand eShops.
- Pledge £5, £9 or £30 for a variety of pixel art cameo options.
- Cameo characters must be SFW and with no copyright infringement.
- Pledge £7 or £15 to receive physical stickers in the mail!
- Pledge £250 or more to gain access to luxurious and unique rewards, including fully illustrated artwork of your cameo character!
Steve O'Gorman: Design, Programming, Pixel Art
I make cute and dorky games. I created The Rainsdowne Players for Nintendo Switch, PC & Mac. Some folks really liked it! I'll be handling everything that's within my ability.
I really want to present a game where the theme of unionisation isn't just a story theme, but an active factor which affects the freedoms and scope for personal growth of the 3 main characters.
AbstractCactus: Character Artwork
AbstractCactus will be providing character artwork. I'm a huge fan of her work, and am so excited to share everything she's going to bring to the project!
I've yet to hire a composer, as this is somewhat dependent on the success of the Kickstarter. I hope to find somebody who can capture that 90s magical girl anime feel!
DDRKirby(ISQ): Trailer Music
Risks and challenges
I have a proven track record in delivering on similar sized game projects. My previous game, The Rainsdowne Players, was also funded via Kickstarter, and released ahead of schedule.
I am already a registered Nintendo Switch developer, having previously released The Rainsdowne Players on the eShop, and there are no impediments to my releasing further games for the platform.
As a solo developer, I am well aware of the risks in embarking on oversized game development projects, and have taken great care to ensure that the scope of Hero Hours Contract is kept to a manageable level, by focusing on the important core elements of the gameplay and streamlining secondary elements into menus and a single screen hub, rather than attempting to build a vast open world for the sake of it.
Nonetheless, there is always a small risk of delays resulting from balancing my real life and day job commitments, but, once again, hope that my aforementioned track record will instil faith in my ability to finish the project.
Unexpected technical hurdles should be minimal, as a lot of the underlying code and systems have already been devised and implemented at this point.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)