Rudo Resurrection is an action packed 2.5D side scrolling beat ‘em up featuring the wrestlers from CHIKARA!
Rudo Resurrection is an action packed 2.5D side scrolling beat ‘em up featuring the wrestlers from CHIKARA!
We are on Steam Greenlight! Click the button below to vote!
Rudo Resurrection is inspired by the side scrolling beat ‘em up games that we love - games like Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, X-Men Arcade, TMNT, River City Ransom and others we played as kids. Our love of beat ‘em ups doesn’t stop there! We here at Rotary Games are also heavily influenced by some of the newer submissions to the genre like Castle Crashers, Shank and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Our game will pay homage to these classics and new games alike, while attempting to move the genre forward utilizing newer gameplay elements and cutting edge technology to make the experience feel new and fresh. With Rudo Resurrection, we hope to appeal to gamers of all ages and play style preferences, but especially the fans of eye-popping, comic book style graphics and beat 'em up style gameplay.
We've partnered with CHIKARA to utilize their colorful cast of characters in Rudo Resurrection. If you've ever wanted to see a comic book come to life, CHIKARA is for you! CHIKARA’s rich history and diverse characters will complement our action packed style of gameplay. Even if you aren't a member of the CHIKARMY, Rudo Resurrection will still be a blast! If you are a fan of wrestling (casual or hardcore) or even just a fan of classic beat 'em up games, Rudo Resurrection will deliver loads of fun and action.
Over the course of the last couple months, our small, but dedicated team of experienced developers at Rotary Games have spent most of our free time building Rudo Resurrection. While doing so we've realized that in order to make this game a reality we will need your help! We do not just need money, we want your ideas, your feedback and your support to help see this game through to completion. This will be a community effort that we look forward to sharing with our backers.
With the initial goal, we will be releasing the game on PC. If we’re able to hit stretch goals, we’ll be able to hire additional developers to make Rudo Resurrection available on additional platforms.
The first three playable characters we are announcing are one of the most popular trios in CHIKARA history, The Colony! This trio will consist of Fire Ant, Green Ant and assailANT. The Colony all complement each other nicely and are a well rounded team of grapplers suitable to take into any fight.
Over the course of this Kickstarter campaign, we will be announcing additional playable characters. The base game will start with 6 characters, but stretch goals can bring the total up to 24 possible playable characters.
- ???- Soon...
- ??? - To Be Revealed
The great and devious UltraMantis Black has long used CHIKARA as his own personal game of chess, using others as pawns in his nefarious plans. Lately, he has lost his grasp on CHIKARA as other factions and groups have taken control from him. This has led UltraMantis Black to hatch his most devious plan yet. He has assembled a dark army of familiar faces from CHIKARA’s past utilizing his knowledge of the dark arts. With a force so malevolent, UltraMantis Black will not only seize control of CHIKARA but the entire world. It is up to the members of the CHIKARA roster to rise up and face UltraMantis Black and his undead atrocities and to put an end to his tyrannical, totalitarian rule.
Additional story details will be unveiled throughout the course of the Kickstarter campaign...
- Fast Paced Combat - Defeat your foes with a fast-paced action combat system that will feel gratifying and rewarding. Characters will have some of the signature moves you’d expect to see them perform inside the ring and some outlandish maneuvers you might not expect.
- Inspired World - The world of Rudo Resurrection is highly inspired by comic book art and will have a vibrant feel to it. The game’s levels will explore areas that will feel familiar and some that have only been talked about, but never fully explored.
- Varied Gameplay - Rudo Resurrection will feature traditional beat ‘em up style mechanics, but will reward different styles of gameplay. We will not punish players, however we will provide adequate challenge for players of all skill level.
- Deep Roster - Play as or against your favorite CHIKARA characters. The entire roster and history of CHIKARA is available to us, so we will use it to our advantage to tell compelling stories that stay true to the CHIKARAverse. There will be characters from CHIKARA’s present, past and future.
- Trios action - At the start of the game, you’ll have three characters available to play as, but as you advance through the levels you can unlock additional characters and will be able to select any three to form your own trio! Characters will have different abilities and mechanics and you can tag in and out whenever you’d like. Instead of having three lives, you’ll have three characters to make your way through the level. When a character is incapacitated, he will be unable to be tagged in until he is revived.
- Signature attacks - Each character will have a signature attack that is unique to them. This will be based on a move the character uses in the real-life ring. It will deliver more damage than a regular attack and will be available once you’ve built up enough energy to perform it.
- Special attacks - Each character will have a unique special attack. Special moves will not be based in reality and will be some crazy, ridiculous move that will just be pure fun to perform. It will deliver great damage and will only be available a few times per level, so use it wisely.
We have a very clear vision of what it would take to make Rudo Resurrection amazing. We’ve diligently planned the entire development of the project and we estimate that it will cost us $350,000 to reach that ultimate vision. That is a lot of money, so we’ve decided to pick the core features that will make a fun experience and can be achieved by our team of six developers. For 50K, we can deliver our base game -- it is something we know will be fun and a project we can all be proud of. As we hit stretch goals, we will be adding pieces of that ultimate vision back into the game. At certain stretch goals, we will hire additional developers to the team to achieve some of the more complicated features, like co-op and making Rudo Resurrection available on console platforms. No matter how many stretch goals we hit, we will work tirelessly to bring you the best possible game we can. We look forward to working with you on this exciting endeavor.
Enemies will be members of UltraMantis Black’s dark army. The army will be comprised of characters from CHIKARA’s past. This is just a small sampling of some of the undead versions of characters we'll be utilizing. Our Grand Champion reward will allow backers to help us select which characters we will create and use as bosses in some of the levels.
- Create-a-ghoul - A crude first experiment. Create-a-ghoul was resurrected and cloned so many times that he has massive amounts of decay and very little motor skills left. He can take a beating, but is slow to dish it out.
- Crossbones - Crossbones has long been UltraMantis Black’s right hand man. His resurrection was performed after the resurrection/cloning process was perfected. He is very powerful and tough to defeat.
Music in Rudo Resurrection will be performed by the electronic band known as The Deadites. The Deadites have written several theme songs for CHIKARA wrestlers over the years and have been crafting their brand of dark, dancy electronic music for years. Their music will create the perfect atmosphere for Rudo Resurrection.
We are a group of experienced game developers with a combined 50+ years in the video game industry. We also have several years experience working together as a team on other projects. We are passionate about making the best games we possibly can, but our sole focus right now is working with our backers and our partner CHIKARA to ensure that Rudo Resurrection is an incredibly fun experience. Open, honest communication is one of our core tenets and we promise to be as transparent as possible during the development of this and future projects. Games should be fun to play, and making them should be a gratifying, rewarding experience. We look forward to sharing that experience with our backers.
CHIKARA is an American professional wrestling promotion based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The company focuses on promoting tag team matches, with emphasis on the high-flying lucha libre style. Trios matches (3 vs 3) have been a staple of CHIKARA since its inception. Performers are grouped into tecnicos and rudos, the lucha libre terms for heroic and villainous characters respectively. Just as in lucha libre, many performers in the promotion have also performed under masks and with unique gimmicks.
We want to create a game with the community. Utilizing Kickstarter allows us to cut out the middle man and bring the development of the game directly to the people who will be playing it. This unparalleled level of interaction with the community is incredibly appealing to us.
In order to make the best game possible we need to cover the cost of development. That includes paying for hardware, software, licenses, salary, marketing and legal. Hitting our initial goal will enable us to put all of our time and energy towards making the base experience of Rudo Resurrection great. If we’re able to reach some or all of our stretch goals we can make a great game into an amazing game.
For Rudo Resurrection, we are using the Unreal 4 game engine. Unreal has a history of making great games look amazing with their cutting edge technology. With Unreal 4, they have changed the game by making it affordable for smaller development teams and they have an incredibly responsive team ready to help should we need it. We’re very excited to be part of the first wave of projects to use this technology and hope to use the technology to its full advantage inside our game!
Risks and challenges
Rudo Resurrection has been designed in such a way that we can deliver on the promise of a fun game at the initial Kickstarter goal, but if we were to hit our stretch goals, the game would become exponentially that much more awesome with each stretch goal that we hit. Hitting some of those goals will require us to hire additional employees, but we’re confident that we can bring on experienced, talented developers to help us bring the game to completion.
Working with a pre-existing license can prove to be a rewarding experience, but also takes extra time to manage the relationship. Rotary Games has experience working with some successful properties in the past, which has prepared us well for this project. We also have a fantastic relationship with the folks over at CHIKARA and they will be working with us every step of the way to create an unparalleled experience for players.
Making games is hard! We’ve done a ton of planning, but invariably something will come up that we didn’t think of. Our experience will enable us to stay focused and true to the initial design. We won’t let that stop us from altering ideas or concepts along the way if the community wants it, but we intend to stay focused and on track so we can deliver the game in a timely manner.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)