About this project
Do you also have a bicycle bell that's beat up and broken – ready for the junkyard but so rusty it won't ever leave your beloved bike? Are you sick and tired of ignorant tourists crossing bike lanes without even a small glance your way? Would you like a specially-for-you customized, quality product that actually works in times of need?
It's time we introduce you to The Belll.
So far, we are featured on:
We made it YOU
The Belll represents the quality of Life. Coming from a city that has more bikes than it has people, we have been observing the endless opportunities in personalizing bikes and our hands were just aching to get started. Latest bike trends showcase personality and individualism; take a look at the fixies, sport bikes, e-bikes, but also the "oma-fiets". Why not have the same for your most important bike accessory? That is why we wanted to make a bell that looks good, sounds great and gives you the choice of every possible appearance. Whatever you like: black/white, coloured or personalized with a picture of your dog perhaps? YOU decide.
We made it DURABLE
The Belll is designed to last a Lifetime. As most bikes are always outside, we have chosen high quality materials and finishing. The Belll can easily resist weather influences like rain and UV. So, no more rusty pieces of metal on your bike. Furthermore, the design is also clever: it can be easily installed within a matter of seconds; plug & play. No screws needed here, just click it to your handle bar and go! Needless to say it is also theft proof.
We made it LOUD
Of course The Belll makes sure that everyone can hear you coming, but next to that, we've equipped The Belll with something special: a copper bell. Bike enthusiasts already know the added value of that material: its beautiful sound. To guarantee extra safety, we made sure it is Amsterdam-tested. Believe us, this is not a city you'd wish to discover cycling without a Belll; it's swarming with anything or anyone just waiting to cross between you and your bike on any given moment. Courage was never so deeply rewarding.
We made it IN HOLLAND
The Belll is 100% Dutch Design and it will be produced in Holland entirely. The outer material is ABS, a high quality polymere. The Belll consists of the copper bell, 3 ABS parts: hammer, body & top lid and last but not least, a durable TPE rubber insert to hold it firmly on your bike.
As designers, we think differently. Just designing anything and putting it on the market, doesn’t make us happy. We are Veeel – an Amsterdam based company specialized in consumer product design. We go further than just a great design: we co-create and validate with end-users from start to finish. The Belll came from our own design lab, designed for our own risk & account and because we love biking and keeping you safe.
We have only one mission: to design products people love to use.
Also check out our Facebook site for some more behind the scenes information and action: www.facebook.com/TheBelll.
History and next steps
You know when you have that gut feeling, knowing it is time to take the next step?
- We started the project in the beginning of 2012 and the first designs came to life in spring 2012. In summer 2012 we started with prototypes and showed it to people. After the summer we found our perfect copper bell and finalized the design to discuss it with potential manufacturers.
- By the end of 2012 / beginning of 2013 we selected one manufacturer located in Holland, who is going to make The Belll exactly according to our high quality needs. Last February we decided to go for Kickstarter and now we are live!
- After succesful funding here at Kickstarter, we will give a GO to our manufacturer in July! Two months are planned to finalize the mould making and after that we are good to go for the first production run! We are putting everything in action to finish this in September.
- In the meantime we will be finalizing our packaging design so we can ship it to you in October!
We brought the project to this stage and now we need YOUR help to enable us to invest in the tooling and mould for the first production series. After Kickstarter we want The Belll to be available in shops all over the world, but for now we are looking for the real ambassadors who are going to make our dream come true!
Now, your help will not be in vain. We are very happy with the brave bunch of you that believe in us and wish to see us grow. We kept our rewards simple: choose a color or a personalized Belll.
- Choose your color. As Da Vinci stated, simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication and, to start out simple, we have chosen only a few colors for our first production runs, and we proudly present: black and white as a simple and iconic design. In addition The Belll will also be available in three splashing colors for those daredevils amongst you: yellow, green and pink.
- Or, choose a personalized Belll: (i) The Stars & Stripes edition; (ii) Union Jack; (iii) The limited icon; (iv) The personalized icon
And off course: we will deliver every Belll in suitable packaging that fits mailboxes worldwide.
Risks and challenges
We aim at building a supportive community for The Belll. To be able to do so transparency and honesty are a huge part of our efforts. We want to make clear that our project is carefully thought out, but there is still work to do. We want you to understand that we will do anything in our power to follow through, even when faced with challenges.
The challenges we might face after our project is successfully funded are:
- Mould making takes longer than expected (10 weeks)
- Material properties are different than the material properties of the functional prototype
- If our campaign is highly successful our scale of packaging and logistics needs to get upgraded fast
If (one or more) of these setbacks do arise, we will tackle them as follows. Together with our mould maker we have set up a strategy for the production order. We'll first start with the hammer because that is the defining part in our design. Once that is all good, we can safely continue with the production and assembly of the remaining parts. For our packaging and logistics we can rely on the experience of manchetknopen.com as they have more than 10 years experience with shipping products safely and soundly around the world.
We've also added some additional time to tackle possible setbacks and still deliver the product as fast as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (45 days)