THE WEAKLY COMICS GANG IS MAKIN' A FANCY BOOK!!!!
WEAKLY is a tiny paper comics magazine published on a regularly irregular basis by sweaty-palmed art dorks Andrew Alexander, Max Huffman, and Jack Reese (pictured above). Weakly started as an outlet for us to get out our work on an almost weekly schedule and quickly turned into a platform to connect with and print our like-minded pals. With one year of almost-continuous comics under our belt, we wanted to commemorate Weakly's first birthday with something more ambitious.
The Xtra Large Weakly Annual is a thick (over 100 pages so far!), lustrous 6" x 8" object starring over 30 of our favorite cartoonists and visual artists alongside the three of us! Not able to be contained by one printing process, this book instead requires a harmonious mixture of RISOGRAPHY, CMYK INKJET and SILKSCREEN! We've given our contributors as much creative control as possible, and as a result there will be some unconventional surprises lurking within the book!
The goal of this campaign is to bring the the Xtra Large Weakly Annual into existence, and for us the most integral aspect of producing the book is trying our darnedest to compensate our contributors for their work. We think that this savory squad of artists we've compiled should be paid for their contributions, a goal that we need a little help from our friends on the internet to realize.
- Adam Amram
- Josh Bayer
- Chelsea Elizabeth Birenberg
- Maggie Scarlett Breen
- Daphne Brophy
- Danielle Chenette
- G.W. Duncanson
- Lauren Early
- Cheyne Ellett
- Abraham El Makawy
- Alejandra Fernandez + Tom Eichacker
- Andy Gabrysiak
- Curtis Godino
- Lane Graff
- Michael Hawkins
- Maximo Huete
- Ed Leme
- Julia Liu
- Devon McFarland
- Ben Mendelewicz
- Shala Miller
- Talya Modlin
- Vinnie Neuberg
- Breanne Pak
- Gary Panter
- Tommy PG
- Laura Perez Harris
- A.T. Pratt
- Katy Stubbs
- Gaby Tirone
- Ben Urkowitz
- Nathan Ward
- AND MORE!?
- contributor compensation: $1200
- printing and shipping: $375
- kickstarter fees: $175
- $1751+ = CONTRIBUTOR BONUSES: Once the $1750 goal is reached, any extra funds (minus fees/costs) will be distributed evenly across our sterling stable of artists!
- $3,000 = PERFORMANCE PARTY: If the $3000 threshold is crossed, extra donations shall partially fund a night of revelry, to be held in the New York area, featuring music and performance art by Weakly faves! Details TBA if/when the goal is reached!
Rewards we will be offering for donating to the Xtra Large Weakly Annual include:
- A probably nice looking postcard from the editors!
- A digital (PDF/CBR) download of the book, featuring all of the content from the hard copy, but you can't flip through it and stuff!!!
- The physical book we produce, with content from 30+ artists, 3 printing processes, and any surprises you may find between the folds of the pages!!! Guaranteed to blow your brains, then return them politely to your skull!!!
- Reprints of our bountiful back issues, several of which are themselves group anthologies featuring upwards of 7 artists!!!
- Copies of Suspect Device #4, Josh Bayer's acclaimed anthology collaging comics history with its future, featuring cover sketches in ink by Josh!
- Beautiful original pages graciously offered by GW Duncanson!!!
- One-of-a-kind latex masks sculpted/cast by Jack Reese, like the one pictured above!!
- This amazing, 38"x40" silkscreen titled "A Free Ride" graciously donated by Adam Amram!!!
- We're also offering discounted bundles exclusively for distributors/ retailers ranging from 40-50% off MSRP!
- There are also t-shirts, costumes, and more. Check out the reward tiers and help support a crazy book made by young people!
Risks and challenges
We (the WEAKLY EDITORS) are committed to putting out a great book. We're not going to stretch ourselves too thin with crazy stretch goals or book upgrades (as much as we want to print the whole thing on edible gold leaf). Our biggest risk is that if we don't meet our goal, we won't be able to compensate our incredibly talented contributors, many of whom have already sent us their amazing pieces. That's why we've set our goal so low, and why we'd much rather any extra funds go first and foremost towards additional compensation for our artists.
We've taken steps to mitigate many of the production delays projects like these encounter by taking a DIY approach towards the whole endeavor. We're completely handmaking these books, printing (on our own machine, in the case of the risograph sections) and assembling them ourselves. If we're totally blown away by the demand for the book, it'll probably take a little longer to put them all together-- but none of us are strangers to long assembly sessions.
We know that supporting a project while it's gestating is an exercise in trust, and we'll keep you informed every step of the way with regular updates and behind-the-scenes content.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)