We did it!!! We made our initial goal! Within the first four days of the campaign! I am overwhelmed with gratitude. Thanks to your belief in this project, Cascadia's release is now just a few months away. What happens now? By adding some stretch goals, we can broaden the scope of the project, to create even more rewards to share with you.
$15,000 -- GOAL MET!!!
If we raise $15,000, I will work with Emmy nominated filmmaker Eric Daniel Metzgar to create music videos for, initially, three (but hopefully more!) songs from Cascadia. At least one of these videos will be a song selected by backers, via a survey that will be sent out with the album. Backers at all levels will be able view the completed videos streaming online via a private link at least a month before they are released to the general public. The Cascadia videos will also be included in HD format on the limited edition music video DVD, available at the higher pledge levels.
If we raise $16,500, I will create a second songbook, this one featuring ten songs chosen by backers' vote, and drawn from any of my records released to date. Each song will be presented with lyrics, melodies and chords with fretboard diagrams. The chords will be playable by beginning - intermediate guitar players, as well as by pianists who can read chords by name.
Backers at all levels will receive this book in pdf form. Backers at the $250 level and higher will also receive a printed copy of this book, signed and dedicated to you.
Preview of video in progress for Lights and Fences.
The inspiration for this project goes back to an experience I had some years ago, while living in the San Francisco Bay Area. Coming home late after a musical gig, I got out of my car and found myself face to face with an enormous deer. He was standing on the sidewalk, lit by the glow of a streetlight, so close to me that I could make out his every detail: his shaggy back, his wide, graceful antlers. His gaze was proud and penetrating.
A forgotten king, I thought, lost in a strange land. Where had he come from? Were there more like him somewhere? Where was his family? Was this his eternal lot? To be always on the move, passing ghostly amongst the buildings, taking refuge in occasional, vacant patches of green?
After that night, I never saw him again. But over the years, he lived on in my memory. The encounter had made me feel, more deeply than ever, the absence of wild places, wild creatures, from my life.
Many years later, when I finally succeeded in capturing this experience in song, I felt as if something powerful in my writing had been set free. I began to sing for the vanishing world of animals, forests, ancient ways -- and for a new world to come. I was seeking a unity underlying our disconnection.
This sense of urgency led me, in 2007, to divinity school, where I studied, among other things, folklore and mythology. I steeped myself in ancient stories and traditions. Each night, after a long day of study, I came home to write. These were the songs that became Cascadia.
When it came time to record, I was blessed to enlist an incredible group of singers and musicians to help me realize my musical vision. After all these years of work, I can't wait to share with you the fruits of our labor!
As with nearly all my prior releases, I plan to release Cascadia independently. Being an independent artist is great in that it allows me complete creative control in my work. However, not having the support of a label does mean that my resources are limited. Making records is costly, and all those costs come out of pocket. At this point, fortunately, most of the costs have been met, and Cascadia is almost complete. However, there remain a few steps to go.
Your contributions will enable us to complete those final steps and send Cascadia into the world. My $10,000 goal is the minimum amount of money necessary to cover mixing, mastering, CD manufacturing,and compensating the artist whose paintings will make up the album artwork. It will also cover the production and shipping of backer rewards, which I’ve been seriously enjoying dreaming up!
Which brings me to. . .
What can you expect in return for your generosity? Some of the possibilities include
- Your own signed physical copy of Cascadia, beautifully presented in an eco-friendly CD folder with 16-page, full-color booklet insert, plus one Kickstarter exclusive bonus track. (The bonus track will be a download.)
- Digital downloads and signed physical copies of prior releases.* Choose from the following albums: The Summer Storm Journals, Boots, Down Easy, or The World is Bound by Secret Knots. (The version of Secret Knots offered will include downloads of three bonus tracks otherwise available only the Japanese release of this album.)
- Hand-crafted, collectible glass tile magnets in two different designs, featuring the gorgeous paintings of Liz Gil Neilson
- High-quality posters in two large sizes, featuring the album cover's painting by Liz Gill Neilson
- Music video DVDs featuring gorgeous HD versions of the leading music video from Cascadia, as well as all other videos we have released to date
- The Cascadia Songbook, including lyrics, melodies and guitar chords to all playable songs on the album, signed and dedicated to you
Special, one-of-a-kind items:
- A handbound blank book custom made for you, by me. Fill with your own stories, poems and songs!
- Signed, handwritten lyrics sheet for the NV song of your choice, framed and ready for display.
- A natural talisman—one line of NV lyrics written by hand on a found natural object, collected during Noe’s wanderings. No two alike-- the object may be driftwood, stone, etc. You can choose the lyric, or let us choose for you.
Ways to be involved in the music:
- Your name in the liner notes, and / or an invitation to play on a future album or appear in a future music video.
- An original song written just for you or for someone you care about, or a recording of the cover song of your choice
- Private concerts for you and your friends
Risks and challenges
Cascadia being my seventh release, I can now say I have extensive experience with the process of independently making and releasing CDs! That said, there are always things that can come up—manufacturing errors, shipping mishaps, that kind of thing. My goal is to have the completed album in my hands and ready to ship by June of 2014. Backer rewards at the lower levels will ship around that same time. At the higher levels, where rewards include original recordings and other custom made items, the later delivery date estimates that you see in the green column allow for the time it will take me to produce these items. At this point, I'm optimistic that it will be possible to make the reward delivery dates as written. However, if anything gets in the way of that timing, I can promise that the delay will not be long, and can tide you over by sending downloads in advance of the physical copies of albums, etc.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)