A prototype is a preliminary model of something. Projects that offer physical products need to show backers documentation of a working prototype. This gallery features photos, videos, and other visual documentation that will give backers a sense of what’s been accomplished so far and what’s left to do. Though the development process can vary for each project, these are the stages we typically see:
Proof of Concept
Explorations that test ideas and functionality.
Demonstrates the functionality of the final product, but looks different.
Looks like the final product, but is not functional.
Appearance and function match the final product, but is made with different manufacturing methods.
Appearance, function, and manufacturing methods match the final product.
Con Pazion is opening its first holistic primary school for unprivileged children in the slums of Lima, Perú. We have created a revolutionary educational concept through which we empower the children from the inside out so they can obtain social and civil mobility and break the cycle of poverty. Con Pazion creates sustainable improvement for students in behavior and lifestyle by integrating yoga, mindfulness, and health and environmental awareness into the core curriculum. Our goal is to provide the opportunity to access a quality, personal, holistic education for children that live in extreme poverty.
The Con Pazion school supports the children in becoming aware of their own strength and of the world they live in so that they become self-aware and self-confident from within. By giving them the chance to discover and decide what is important and meaningful to them, to others, to society, and to the world they live in, we can create lasting change. We work with what is already there: a child's heart, its strength, the families, the community, nature and the world. We believe many kids worldwide can benefit from this innovative approach. Lima is just the beginning, we dream of expanding globally to continue the movement.
Manchay is an outskirt of Lima, Perú. In Manchay, the situation at most schools is poignant. In Manchay approximately 50% live in extreme poverty. Many homes have an income below $20 per month and only 10% of the population has a regular income. The unemployment rate is high, resulting in increasing juvenile delinquency and the formation of gangs.
Manchay children are behind in their development. They are far behind in essential subjects, such as writing, reading, and mathematics. The lack of teacher capabilities - their education, pedagogical skills – combined with the high number of kids per classroom, the building structures, and the lack of stimulation from parents causes severe problems. In Manchay, people are living day-by-day, struggling to survive. There is no long-term vision or hope.
What is a holistic education?
The holistic approach of Con Pazion revolves around health, life skills, and values. This approach nurtures a sense of wonder and invites students to explore the world. Cooperation is the norm, rather than competition and the rewards of helping one another grow and succeed is emphasized over students being ranked.
We focus on the teaching of practical skills through yoga, meditation, ecological gardening, and environmental education. These teachings increase the children's confidence in themselves and feed their self-esteem, which helps them to manifest the best of themselves. This, in turn, has a positive effect on their lives and on those around them.
The construction of a sustainable building
Con Pazion is going to construct a sustainable building that fits our vision and our needs. For that we are going to create a long-lasting building mostly made out of recycled and natural materials. (See the gallery for an impression of our designs.) Our goal is that the building will match the surroundings and will leave as small of a footprint as possible. The designs are an indication of the final school building. It needs some adjustments since the school will be build on a hill. It's our goal to open the school in March 2019, starting with two grades and then grow as the children progress. We will add an additional grade (incl. infrastructure) every year until a school with grades one through six is completed.
Pedagogical principles and values:
1) RESPECT: We teach the children to respect themselves as well as others, nature, animals, and the surrounding with love, compassion, dignity, gratitude, and care.
2) TOLERANCE: The children will be learned to value themselves, appreciate themselves, and recognize themselves as subjects of rights and duties, but also have to respect others and be tolerant of diversity with those that are different and don't share the same beliefs, language, political, or religious thoughts.
3) INTEGRITY: We teach the importance of being honest and loyal both in his word and in his actions. We teach them to act from internal motivation, from their heart and therefore live with peace and passion.
4) UNITY: Students will learn and master humanitarian values such as peace and compassion. Through our holistic approach we promote unity, the idea that everything is connected. We teach children that each of them is part of something bigger than themselves, like their school, their community, their family, nature, the world. We teach them communication skills that allow them to see others as 'the other me'. They will learn social responsibilities, empathy, and tolerance, and we will teach them to identify social influence.
5) RESPONSIBILITY: We teach children to reflect on themselves and their actions, we teach them to take responsibility that they are in charge of their own lives, their opportunities, their behavior, and their own happiness. We motivate their critical thinking and reflection skills and make them aware of their place in society and their responsibilities to become the best versions of themselves.
6) SAFETY: Con Pazion will create a place where children feel safe and can thrive. A place where children feel at peace, at home, safe, and free. We create a space in which children can flourish and thrive. Cooperation is our norm, instead of competition. Emphasis is place on helping each other and growing together as the reward instead of being categorized and placed one above the other.
The Con Pazion Primary School will be used to help kids flourish and grow from a young age in all aspects of their lives. Your support of this building project will give Con Pazion a home to continue to grow and reach more children with our unique and revolutionary approach.
Con Pazion's ambassador, Adriene Mishler
Risks and challenges
We are thrilled to be reaching our goal and open the Con Pazion primary school in March 2019. Some of our risks and challenges include:
1) School license:
Con Pazion has completed the process of documenting the school through the ministry of education and heartwarming collaboration to establish a well-rounded curriculum with vision. Now, we are anticipating the official license to make Con Pazion a licensed establishment.
2) Constructing the school:
Our biggest hurdle is to complete this part of the project, given our budget and time constraints. Our fundraising efforts will help create a stimulating and beautiful sustainable school for our children! Your pledge will contribute toward landscaping, the construction of the classrooms, fencing, playground surfacing, and outdoor stage area for yoga and art. We have prepared for challenges ahead by creating positive alliances with the government, the ministry of education, and global organizations.
3) School facilities:
Our mission is to provide children quality education and unique opportunities to immerse themselves in exploratory play, yoga, art, and learning. Creating a balanced indoor environment that reflects our vision and is conducive to our curriculum will be met with financial challenges. We are prepared and have created many positive collaborations and a big worldwide network! We believe in finding creative solutions to all setbacks and our ability to be resourceful and practical in budgeting for our program needs.
4) Parental and community workshops:
To create a greater impact, we incorporate parents and community members to host workshops so that the whole community is able to benefit from Con Pazion.
Our yoga activities for children have filled the hearts of many children in our community with self-awareness, self-care, and love. The vision to raise children in our community with these essential life skills is at the heart of our program in social emotional learning. Together with quality education, the children will be given a chance to reach their full potential and break the cycle of poverty.
Follow us on Instagram for our updates! Links in profile