Hey everyone! Thanks for checking out my campaign. I've been an illustrator for Magic the Gathering for about 5 years. My first MtG illustration was Attended Knight for the M13 Core set, and I've had the privilege to create art for almost each set that followed since. For a full catalogue of my works, I invite you to see this link here.
If you have 15 minutes, I highly recommend this video essay from Rhystic Studies exploring my work for MtG.
I also direct films and videos through my production company Five Knights productions, and I make music under the name CLANN.
What's special about these playmats?
I'd like to offer you something special, something rare, something to be cherished. Here's how I'm doing that for you:
- Limited Edition - This will be a one-time printing only. In other words, once this campaign is done, I will never reprint these playmats again. EVER. The number of playmats I produce will depend on the demand. For example, if 100 people pledge for a Cuombajj Witches playmat, there will be only 100 produced (the minimum amount I need to print however will be 50 playmats for each artwork). Once I have the final count, signed certificates of authenticity with your playmat number will be issued and included with your purchase.
Minimal Logo presence! Wizards of the Coast, Ultra-Pro and I worked together to make the logos as unobtrusive as possible for you, freeing up more real estate for the artwork itself.
- Signed Playmats for everyone!
- Unique, Extended Artworks - To avoid cropping of any kind, I have painted expansions to each artwork. This way, the art you love remains whole, and yet you still get a playmat with art that reaches all the way to the edges! I'm really excited about the results. Take a look at the example below.
+ Exclusive Kickstarter Prints!
Unique prints (12 X 18 inches) featuring the extended art of the playmats are available! Unlike the playmats, there is no minimum printing. For example, if only 10 people pledge for an Extended Stasis Print - only 10 will be printed in the world. Woah.
STRETCH GOALS UNLOCK NEW PLAYMATS/PRINTS & MORE!
Thanks to your overwhelming support the following stretch goals have been reached:
- $110K -> the first 1000 backers will get a random, signed artist proof.
- $150K -> ALL backers will receive an exclusive limited edition gamer pack from CUBEAMAJIGS!
- $200K -> 2 new artworks will be unlocked by popular vote. Backers will receive a voting link when the campaign ends. You may vote for any card in my MtG catalogue (except for cards spoiled after the campaign ends). These artworks will be extended as well, to fit to the edges of the playmats.
The final stretch goal yet to reach is $300K, which automatically unlocks my latest card for Commander 2018 : the legendary planeswalker Aminatou, the Fateshifter! Check out the goals below!
Why am I doing this?
Two reasons. First, I've received multiple emails from the MtG community expressing interest for playmats with my artwork, and after conducting an AMA on Reddit, I thought it was time to give this a chance.
The second reason is because, as well as an illustrator, I am a filmmaker at heart and I am in need of funds to shoot my debut fantasy feature film called KIN Fables: The Stolen Child. So by purchasing these playmats, you are directly supporting and contributing to the creation of a film!
I think that in itself is very very cool.
Risks and challenges
I've run a successful kickstarter campaign in the past, and have learned the do's and dont's first hand. The experience taught me how to properly balance what I'm offering as rewards vs what I'm capable of delivering.
In this case, the rewards offered are produced by professional printers (Ultra-Pro) so all I have to take care of is signing and shipping.
The biggest challenge comes from having a large number of backers (which I welcome wholeheartedly)! It just means perhaps a longer waiting time to receive your rewards.
Other than that, all should be smooth sailing! Simply time-consuming work on my part, but work I'm happy to do if it means raising funds for my fantasy feature film KIN Fables.
Thank you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)