I wanted to post an update about the status of the orders. First, my apologies to the international backers as I have pushed you to the back burner a couple times throughout this process and that wasn’t fair. The logistics and costs associated with international shipping were much more complicated than I had anticipated.
- 100 remaining shipments
- Target date to ship all remaining U.S. packages = June 6, 2014
- Includes all custom artwork / additional items / etc.
- 380 remaining shipments
- I'm negotiating with a European fulfillment center to bulk ship all of the packages to them, to be distributed throughout the region. I am hoping to sort this out no later than June 13, 2014 so expect another update on this option soon.
- Asia, Australia and South American orders will be shipped by June 13, 2014 as they are far fewer and more manageable.
- I have also had a number of international orders returned to me, so I'll be reaching out to those backers this weekend to see whether that was due to customs or a change of address.
The main issue with international orders was that I had budgeted about $12 for shipping due to the original weight of each item (and my overly optimistic estimations), but with the Kickstarter add-ons which increased weight as well as exact destinations, the actual shipping costs to each individual international backer about $25-$30 per order. I do not have the money to currently ship these at the 2-3 times what was accounted for in the Kickstarter. That leaves me the following options:
- Put shipping on-hold while I research a more affordable shipping method
- Restrict the flow of shipping to something I can afford by adding my own personal funds - (how I've currently been operating)
- Ask international buyers for more money to cover the shipping costs
I would rather not ask anyone for more money, especially since you've waited so long for these rewards, but I may make that option available on a voluntary basis. I've had a number of international backers ask if they could pay more to expedite their shipping so I'm going to look into an easy way to facilitate that for those interested.
As it stands, I am just hung up on physically shipping the international items out due to the dramatically more expensive shipping rates. As I have stated through this entire process, every backer will receive their reward. I am not trying to rip anyone off and the project as a whole is about 75% completed. I understand the frustration with a project that is a year overdue, but I ask that you continue your patience a little while longer as I continue to ship the rewards to you.