The Inaugural Charleston Dance Festival 2012
The mission of the Charleston Dance Festival is to unite local and regional dancers to promote and support the creative development of dance in the Charleston community through performance and education and by fostering a community that nurtures growth, creativity, and an appreciation for the art of dance.Festival Breakdown:
The Charleston Dance Festival, presented by the newly established Charleston Dance Alliance and DanceFX Charleston, will be a seven day festival consisting of master class instruction, lectures, demonstrations, outdoor performance and evening performances by both professional and student dancers. Our goal is to bring the local dance community together to celebrate dance in Charleston and through out the state.Educational out reach will be a main component of the Charleston Dance Festival through the uniting of novice and professional dancers alike and by teaming up with local dance education programs in the Charleston Country School district. This Festival will strive to offer classes and programs that will accommodate all levels of income and financial background while still maintaining the greatest level of excellence in the art of dance.
Below is a Festival Breakdown of everything that we are planning for the festival!
Monday, September 10
- 6 - 7:30pm Body Alignment & Contemporary with Dale Lam of Columbia City Jazz at Dancefx
- 7:30pm - 9:00pm - Post Modern Choreography w/ Sara Cart of Dancefx Charleston
- 8 - 9:30pm Aerial Master Class** with Julianna Hane of Revolve Aerial Dance at Velocity Sports
- 5:30 - 7pm Contemporary Ballet with live music with Stephanie Bussell at Dancefx
- 7 - 8:30pm African Dance and Drum Workshop with Queen Atterberry of Wo'se of Charleston
Wednesday, September 12
- 5:30 - 7:00pm Modern with Eliza Ingle of The College of Charleston at Dancefx
- 7:00- 8:30pm Industry Hip-Hop with Jamal Tisdale of Dexter's Lab and Slow Jamz at Dancefx
No Classes Scheduled
- 6:00pm - 7:00pm - "Dance Talks"
- 8:00pm - 9:30pm - "Improvisational Jam" Hosted by Annex Dance Company with Live Music by Entropy Ensemble
Friday, September 14
- 6:00 - 7:30pm - Advanced Ballet with Emily Ellis of Washington Ballet at Dancefx
- 6:00 – 7:30pm - Breakdance Workshop w/ Mark Cabrera of Phuz3d Dance Cr3w at The Memminger
- 7:30 - 9:00pm - Classical Ballet Variations with Patricia Cantwell of Charleston Ballet Theatre
- Hip Hop Battle at the Memminger Auditorium
Saturday, September 15
- 10:00 - 11:30am - Advanced Ballet with Emily Ellis of Washington Ballet at Dancefx Studios
- 1:00 - 2:30pm - Jazz w/ Jenny Broe Price of Dancefx Charleston
- 2:30 - 4:00pm - Contemporary w/ Kiyomi Mercadante Marple of Unbound Dance Company
- 6:00pm - Pre-Professional Performance Showcase
- 8:00pm - Professional Perfeormance Showcase both performances will be held at the College of Charleston Sottile Theater.
Sunday, September 16
- 10:00 – 11:30am Advanced Ballet with Deanna McBearty formerly of New York City Ballet
- 11:30am - 1:00pm Hip-Hop with Angel Roberts of Showstopper and Daniel Island Hip-Hop at Dancefx
- 1:00pm - 2:30pm - Shag w/ Myers Varn
- 2:30pm - 4:00pm - "Festival Talk Back"
Support this project
- (30 days)