80 Days: An Exploration Podcast is a podcast which brings to life lesser-known countries, territories, cities and locations from around the world, brought to you by three history and geography nerds in an internet-powered balloon. Inspired by Phileas Fogg’s whistle-stop tour of the world, we have decided to take the more leisurely approach, going one location at a time and finding out as much as possible and broadcasting an entertaining and informative romp through the history, culture and quirks of a new place every week.
You can listen to Season 1 on our website www.80dayspodcast.com, and see the variety of places we’ve explored so far, from tiny Nauru in the Pacific Ocean to the vast Namibia on the west coast of Africa, and even often-overlooked territories like the Isle of Man. (Some clips are embedded at the end of this section
Who are we?
The three presenters of 80 Days (Luke Kelly, Mark Boyle and Joe Byrne) are all originally from Ireland. We met in Maynooth University, where we loved telling stories about travel and crazy anecdotes - this hasn’t changed much, except geographically. Now the three of us have scattered to various corners of the globe, but we build on our relationship to make the podcast entertaining. We each have different backgrounds and interests, which allow us to approach places from all the angles necessary to get a comprehensive picture.
What are people saying about us?
- “I wish history class had been more like this when I was in school! Joe, Luke and Mark have clearly done a lot of research on these episodes, but they make it conversational and fun. Also it's just cool (and appropriate) that they record remotely from three very differently parts of the world. It's like traveling without having to actually, you know...travel.” - (The Off-Screen Podcast, USA)
- “Big picture; this podcast works. 3 guys talk about a little known place in the world. In the pocastwold its a nice change of pace” - (deadmanandevilman, USA)
- “80 Days: An Exploration Podcast is a very enjoyable format. The hosts have good chemistry, and their episodes are well planned and educational. If you enjoy traveling the world, plan on traveling the world, or like to learn obscure world history, you need to subscribe to this podcast.” - (JDunlapMedia, USA)
- “I listen to this podcast on my daily commute and it has a habit of transporting me to somewhere altogether different. From quirky trivia to sordid history and everything in between, 80 Days makes the places and territories discussed feel present in a really vibrant way.” - (seriousnotions, Ireland)
What do we want to do differently in Season 2?
- €1000 would allow us to do field recording for at least one future episode, recording from a location in question would give a really authentic feel to the episode and give the opportunity for much more content, in terms of interviews, sounds, images and video.
- €1200 would allow us to start commissioning original music related to or from locations to complement the stories we are telling
- €1500 would allow us to produce a short video episode this season
And what do you get out of this? Well, obviously you get a second season of what we hope is your favourite podcast and the pride of knowing you helped make it happen!
But that’s not enough credit. We’ve lined up a number of cool rewards to tempt you into helping us out. There something at every level. These are listed here on the page, these range from a minimum contribution which will get your name listed on our website in gratitude (up to €10), all the way up to you becoming our boss for a day by selecting a location for an episode in Season 2 and helping us craft it (for €100 plus). So in return for your support, you can get us to do that episode you always really hoped we’d do, or just make us do your holiday research for you!
In between, we are offering some bonus content and an exclusive 80 Days t-shirt for Kickstarter backers. Browse through the rewards and pick the level that best suits you.
Risks and challenges
Should this project not be successfully funded, we may struggle to achieve our aims of making the next season better, more extensive and more valuable for listeners.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (41 days)