* il y a des sous-titres du vidéo, clic le "cc" en bas à droit!
* Ci sono sottotitoli del video, clicca su "cc" in basso a destra!
**** NEW FUNDING GOAL : HELP US GET TO 7000€!!!! ****
You've shown such amazing support that we're stepping it up. With the extra 2000€ we will be able to work with an artist (keeping who a secret for now!) who has inspired us throughout our creation of this piece. So exciting, thank you.
AMYGDALA - The Show
The concept for this project is to mix circus and installation art to create an immersive space that reflects the human presence in the natural world.
What memory will we be for futuregenerations ?
With this thought as our guide, we submerge the public in environments that evoke the unhurried splendor of nature, ruptured by contemporary consumption. We recreate aspects of the changing earth using the very materials that are devastating it.
Inside our living installations the artists transform the set around the public. We create a space where participants (artists and public alike) confront the secret reverberations of our collective choices.
We are C A T A L Y S T: Marina Mezzogiorno-Brown, Rosario Amato, Natalie Oleinik and Andrea Avoledo. Three artists and one invisible engineer.
Natalie and Marina were born in Southern California, do aerial rope, base for Rosario, love to draw, and are totally different in every other way. Rosario is a gifted chef and hand balancer who hails from a place of sun and salt water, Sicily. Andrea goes by many names but no matter what you call him he’ll always solve your problems.
We began creating Amygdala in 2015 and dedicated 2016 to developing the show.
So far we have had the opportunity to perform three work-in-progress versions of Amygdala at:
- Lagrange, Touffailles, FR
- Dinamico Festival, Reggio Emilia, IT
- I Macelli No Theatre, Certaldo, IT
and have had additional residencies under the MagdaClan Chapiteau (Torino), at Mix’Art Myrys (Toulouse), and in Fossano, Italy, through Mirabilia Festival.
This initial phase has been incredibly fruitful: we’ve received tons of inspiring feedback that we can’t wait to put to use.
Coming Next :
The exciting news is that CATALYSThas been asked to go on tour with the contemporary circus "MagdaClan" in summer 2017! We will perform "Amygdala" under their circus tent in cities and towns across Italy.
BUT to get Amygdala ready in time, we need the resources to finish our show… which is why we're asking you for help. Here are some of the things we'll need to invest in before going on tour:
- Gas for the camper that carries us and our equipment the hundreds of miles between creation spaces
- Outside eyes, choreographers and artists to help us polish every aspect of the show
- Residency space to develop the piece
- Materials for the show: rigging equipment, paper for the sculptures, structural design to bring our ideas to life, aerial ropes, light design, costumes...the list goes on.
Promotional and administrative material: a real web designer (versus Marina pulling her hair in front wix.com), a real videographer (versus Natalie pulling her hair in front of iMovie), a real PR person (versus Rosario, who would pull his hair if he still had enough, in front of French contractual documents).
It's a lot and we can't do it alone.
- If we reach our goal, we will be able to support the next phase of creation and take Amygdala on tour as a work-in-progress this summer.
- If we surpass our goal, we will spend a lot more time creating and a lot less time price comparing our pasta.
- If we knock it outta the ballpark, we will be able to work with the brilliant artists, musicians, and engineers around us to perfect our installation dreams...we will be able to run away with our imaginations and bring you with us.
So, if you are interested in the intersection between performance and visual arts, if you think we asking compelling questions, if you will see any of us at family or school reunions anytime soon (just kidding.. kind of?), drop a dime in our bucket!
We are working incredibly hard to make this happen and every bit of support we get means a little bit more is possible.
*We thank Petra Tamboer for our beautiful logo and her continued support of Amygdala.
Risks and challenges
As an experimental performance company, it’s pretty challenging to find spaces that can program our show in all its glory. We are proposing an immersive art piece that requires theatres to renegotiate their typical audience/stage format, and asks art spaces to welcome a work with a time limit.
While this is challenging, it is also super exciting! We are breaking down barriers between art forms and forging relationships with experimental spaces. We already collaborate with MagdaClan Circo, and additional opportunities to perform Amygdala are in the works!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)