ALL THE CONTENT OFFERED DURING THIS CAMPAIGN IS KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE AND WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE IN RETAIL. (Check the “Why Kickstarter Exclusive?” section for details)
New to Kickstarter?
Here is a guide to guide you through all the steps from pledging on Kickstarter to getting your game!
The Base Game Pledge for the core boxes gives you a complete game experience with dozens of stretch goal extras for even more replay value.
However, the Batman universe is so vast that we couldn’t fit all of it into the core boxes.
The expansions listed below all add new miniatures, new gameplay, new game boards, new scenarios, or a mix of all of these. They expand your gameplay options to give you even more great content.
Here is the complete list of all the optional buys available and their price:
If you're interested in purchasing any of these optional buys, please click the “Manage Your Pledge” button on the Batman™: Gotham City Chronicles Kickstarter page, and add the amount of the items that you would like to get in the pledge manager. You don’t have to specify what you want at this stage. We will sort out what your extra money is going towards after the campaign has closed, when we send you a link to our pledge manager.
The mini-campaign takes place on the four maps of the base box(es). You will play as Bane and some of the worst criminals of Gotham City he has allied with. Bane’s plan is to use them to take over the city and break its protector, the Dark Knight. Also, and this is very important, you will require a copy of the Versus Mode add on to play these scenarios.
This expansion includes 2 game boards: Wayne Manor and the Batcave, each of which includes 3 scenarios. The Batcave is divided into 4 boards to allow players to move into the well-known location under Wayne Manor, but also to other buildings, like those created by Batman Inc. This expansion contains only hero miniatures, like Bruce Wayne, Alfred and his daughter Julia. It also includes ally tiles for use in scenarios, or with the Command skill, and in the Versus expansion. Oh, and there is also a T-Rex!
This expansion includes 2 game boards: Arkham Asylum and Jokerland, coming with 3 scenarios each. Jokerland will include various attractions, shaped as double-sided overlays, which provide a lot of replayability, as the combination of attractions change with each scenario. These attractions offer unique atmospheres and terrain types that change the way you navigate the map. Of course, you can’t imagine an expansion like this without thinking about the villains. This box is absolutely brimming with bad guys and you won’t find a single hero among them. Within you will find a horrific faceless version of the Joker, as well as the Mad Hatter and his inseparable sidekicks, the Tweedle brothers.
Good versus evil. Light versus darkness. Heroes versus villains. Opposition is the core of the Batman universe. Sometimes villains turn to heroes and heroes to villains, blurring the lines, but the dichotomy is always there.
To represent this opposition, we developed a whole new mode which pits one player against another, each of them controlling their forces through their own command board, giving a more “skirmish” feel to the game. This mode adds an activation pool with a recovery system (very much like the Reserve and Fatigue zones work), dictating the pace of the game by allowing the player to decide how many tiles they want to activate each turn.
This expansion includes an additional plastic command board, 20 activation disks, and 55 tiles to play the Hero’s characters. It also adds 12 ally miniatures on the heroes’ side, boosting their forces to face the already numerous goons of the villain’s side. Finally, the expansion comes with 8 dedicated scenarios and, of course, the rules to play the Versus mode.
This expansion includes the Batmobile and three scenarios: one for the Bank map, from the base game, one for the Batcave map from the Wayne Manor expansion, and one for the Jokerland map from the Arkham Asylum expansion. The Batmobile is played by the heroes, but does not function independently as a hero. Heroes will control it through a special tile which allows them to create shortcuts by destroying walls or to neutralize hordes of villains.
Batman™: Gotham City Chronicles is a scenario-based miniatures board game where 2 to 4 players control the Dark Knight and his allies in their never-ending battle against crime through an asymmetrical and open game system.
Each game involves an action-packed fight where two sides face off. One of the players assumes the role of the Villain and controls the most notorious criminals of Gotham City. The remaining players take control of the Heroes, who must work together as a team to foil the Villain’s plots. Each side takes turns, pitting their strategies against each other in order to achieve their objectives.
Each game of Batman™: Gotham City Chronicles is played according to a scenario which describes the plot, location of the action, setup of the game, number of turns, and the specific objectives each side is trying to achieve in order to win the game.
The game involves two opposing sides: the heroes and the villain. We wanted to represent that dynamic up front by making it obvious from the art on the boxes. That's right, boxes, because one box will not be enough to fit everything you will get.
But this separation has another purpose: it eases the setup of the game. The hero box contains the hero boards, screens, cards...everything the heroes need to play a scenario. The villain box contains the miniatures, tiles, dice, and everything needed to prepare the command board for the fight to come. These 2 boxes will constitute the core game, which include all the base offerings plus all the Stretch Goals we're hoping will be unlocked during the campaign.
Each player on the heroes' side controls one or many characters.
At the beginning of a scenario, the players may choose which hero they want to play from a large roster. Each hero is represented on the game board by a blue miniature.
Each hero has their own hero board detailing their characteristics, skills, and traits.
The hero board is made of 2 parts: a hero screen that slides into a bat-tablet.
This hero board allows the player to control their hero to perform actions such as fighting or jumping from a walkway, by spending energy cubes from their reserve zone.
These energy cubes represent both a hero's life points and their capacity to act. The more actions they perform, the more exhausted they become.
But when a hero gets wounded, they must transfer energy cubes from their fatigue zone to their wound zone, diminishing their capacity to perform actions in future rounds.
To better understand how a hero board works, please watch the following 3 videos from Wayne Entertainment:
A hero can also carry equipment cards, placed next to their hero board. These cards grant bonuses to the hero when performing actions but have a weight that might slow down the hero or reduce their skills.
Finally, some heroes of the bat-family have access to the latest innovations from Wayne Enterprises and can have bat-gadgets. These bat-gadgets also grant bonuses but do not have a weight as they fit into their utility belt.
Facing the heroes is one player: the villain. They alone command their multiple troops represented on the game board by grey miniatures.
Each miniature or group of miniatures are represented by a tile that details the characteristics, skills, and traits of each character of that tile.
The villain controls their characters through a plastic dashboard called the command board, in which punchboards and the tiles are placed. The villain places the tiles in their command post in the order indicated by the scenario.
The villain controls their characters by activating the corresponding tile. They may activate up to 2 tiles per turn by spending energy cubes. But unlike the heroes, these cubes only represent the villain's ability to activate tiles, as each character they control has their own life point count.
To better understand how the command board works, please watch the following video series from Wayne Entertainment:
All miniatures presented in this campaign will be of high-quality plastic, pre-assembled, and shipped unpainted.
The scale of our miniatures is 35mm from feet to eyes. This large scale allows us to create highly detailed miniatures, with dynamic poses that are easier to paint.
But some of our models are even bigger, like the hulking Bane, towering Clayface, and the gigantic T-Rex!
As you may have noticed in the images above, the bases of our figures are no longer plain. Indeed, we are moving the quality of our miniatures one step further by offering textured bases so your figures look even better on the game board. Instead of having one base for all your miniatures, we have created 5 different bases of 30mm that will be used for "human-sized" figures. Larger miniatures like Killer Croc will have a 45mm textured base and unconventionally large characters like Clayface will be placed on a 60mm textured base.
This is our third Kickstarter project that features hundreds of miniatures. We have gained a lot of experience crafting these kinds of complex miniatures from the sculpting stage to the final model you will have in your hands. With Mythic Battles: Pantheon we actually set a new standard by using ABS (a harder plastic compared to the standard PCV) for thin sections (such as knives and ankles) and straight components (such as swords).
This experience allows us to offer very high-quality miniatures without bendy parts, that are regarded as the best available.
Adventure mode by Beasts of War (EN):
Let's play! by Beasts of War (EN):
How to play by Barry Doublet (EN):
De l'explication par Trictrac (FR) :
De la partie par Trictrac (FR) :
Learn to Play: Kickstarter Overview (EN):
Learn to Play: Conan VS Batman (EN):
The Dice Tower plays (EN):
All pledge levels will be available in both English and French. You’ll be able to choose the language of your game during the Pledge Manager phase, after the campaign.
Tous les niveaux de pledge seront disponibles en français et en anglais. Vous pourrez choisir votre langue lors de la phase de pledge manager, à l'issue de la campagne. Attention cependant : seules les règles et les scénarios seront traduits en français. Le reste du matériel contient relativement peu de texte : le nom des cartes d'équipement et le nom des personnages resteront en anglais. Par exemple, Gueule d'Argile s’appellera Clayface.
We will offer translations in German and Spanish, available to download as PDF when the game will be delivered. However, only the rules and scenarios will be translated. The rest of the components contain relatively little text: the name of the asset cards and the name of the characters will remain in English. For example, Clay Maw will be called Clayface.
For a very simple reason: the game contains a lot of work and high-quality components on top of the cost of the Batman license.
To be able to offer you this game at a reasonable price, we had to cut our margins as low as possible. We cut them so much, in fact, that we cannot reduce them any further. Therefore, if we were to sell this game to a distributor, who then would sell it to retailers, the final price of the base game for you gamers would be multiplied by 2.5. That would be more than $350 for the base game only!
We talk from experience as we offered Conan, our first Kickstarter project, through retail a few years back, and it turns out, that we had to lower our selling price to the distributor so much that we did not make any money on this. And you will understand that this is not a very good business model for a company.
Based on our Conan and Mythic Battles: Pantheon experience, we will be charging shipping once the Kickstarter is over, based on the actual costs. We will collect the information via our pledge manager after the campaign ends. We will ship your rewards at our cost to our international hubs. Depending on where in the world you are, we will either ship to you from our hub in China (Asia, Pacific and Japan backers), USA (USA), Australia (Australia and New Zealand backers), and France (EU backers and the rest of the world). Keep in mind these are just estimates, and costs may rise based on weight increases from unlocked stretch goals and any optional buys you choose.
- USA: $20-$25 to most states.
- CANADA: $30-$35 to most cities.
- EUROPE: $20-25 to France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands. $25-35 to Spain, UK, Italy, Poland, Switzerland, Czech Republic and to most other countries.
- LATIN AMERICA: $50-$60 to most countries.
- BRAZIL: $120-130 to Brazil (including customs and tax fees)
- ASIA: $27 to China and Hong Kong. $40 to most other countries.
- OCEANIA: $20-$25 to Australia. $50-55 to New Zealand.
- AFRICA: $50-55 to Morocco, $80-85 to South Africa, $140-145 to most other countries.
- DOM-TOM: $60-65 to Réunion, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Mayotte, Guyane.
We cannot ship to PO Boxes domestically or internationally, and to the following countries:
Cuba, Iran, Burma (Myanmar), Sudan, North Korea and Syria.
Monolith is a company founded in 2014. Since then, Monolith created and successfully delivered 3 top Kickstarter projects driven by one goal: to create immersive games served by great gameplay mechanics and topped with high-quality components. Conan was the first of these games, Mythic Battles: Pantheon is the second and Conan Book of Set is the last one. All of them have been delivered and very well received.
In addition to the people from Monolith, a huge team of passionate professionals has worked on Batman™: Gotham City Chronicles. Here’s a complete list:
- Game Author: Frédéric Henry
- Scenarios/expansions writers: Tony Berart, Emmanuel Crochet & Yohann Hériot.
- Scenarios: Tony Berart, Emmanuel Crochet, Yohann Hériot, Yohann Le Doaré, Jacques Bariot, Eric Bourlet, Olivier Caira, David Fournier, Jonathan Gallerne, Eric Gehres, Rémy Jurion, Nicolas Warembourg & Thomas Dupont.
- Artwork: David Finch, Anthony Jean, Milan Nikolic, Georges Clarenko, David Demaret, Alex Maleev, Stéphane Roux, Arnaud Boudoiron, Tomeu Morey, Sandra H. Archer, Jae Lee & June Chung.
- Flavor texts: Xavier Fournier & Alex Nikolavitch
- Lead sculptor: Arnaud Boudoiron
- Sculptors: Aragorn Marks, Edgar Ramos, Edgar Skomorovski & Irek Zielinski.
- Engineering: Kirsty Cottrell & Aragorn Marks.
- Miniatures painter: Martin Grandbarbe
- Batcave & Gotham City 3d terrain: Rémi Bostal
Project Manager: Adnane Badi
- Production Manager: Tracey Fraser-Elliott
- Graphic artist: Loïg Hascoët & Vincent Jamgotchian
- Graphic assistant: Lénaïck Petitjean
- Rules editing: Tony Bérart, Adnane Badi & Grégory Privat.
- Translator: Rebecca Sevoz & Matt John
- Administrative officers: Virginie Renard & Christelle Lafilolie
- Publishing assistant: David Bertolo
- Community manager: Matt John & Sébastien Lopez
- Video trailer: Fabien Delarue
- Game videos: Trictrac, Beasts of War & Barry Doublet
- Bat-Tour contributors: Blaise Caperan, Ludovic Chatillon, Julien Chollet, Rafaël Da Silva Gomes, Jean-Christophe Désoblin, Thomas Dupont, Mathieu Giroux, Pit Lanrezac, Douce Mateo, Flavien Loisier, Mickael Monnier, Guillaume Petitjean, Gilles Plantin, Thomas Russier & Nicolas Warembourg.
Batman and all related characters and elements © & TM DC Comics. (s19)
Risks and challenges
Monolith will do their utmost to ensure that deliveries start according to the announced schedules. However, it is never impossible that a problem may arise. Should this happen, we will do our absolute best to provide you with accurate information and to limit any delays to a minimum.
TERMS, CONDITIONS & REFUND POLICY
By pledging to this project, you acknowledge that the final look, components, and content of the rewards (and the project) are subject to change and may differ substantially from what is presented in this Kickstarter project page.
Regarding the payments made through Kickstarter:
• A full refund without any conditions within 14 days after the end of the Kickstarter campaign.
• 90% refund without any conditions from the 15th day after the end of the Kickstarter campaign to the day the first ship with Batman: Gotham City Chronicles content departs from China. The start of the shipping date will be announced in a Kickstarter update.
Regarding the payments made through the Pledge Manager:
• A full refund without any conditions within 14 days after the payment, not 14 days after the Pledge Manager closes.
• 90% refund without any conditions from the 15th day after the payment to the day the first ship with Batman: Gotham City Chronicles content departs from China. The start of the shipping date will be announced in a Kickstarter update.
The refunds are made by default in USD through Kickstarter and the Pledge Manager. Transaction fees may be applied by the transaction operator (normally Stripe). If the refund through Kickstarter or the Pledge Manager is not possible (for instance if the debit/credit card expired, or because of the use of a virtual card, or for any other reason), the refund will be made with a bank wire. Additional bank fees may apply depending on the bank and the country.
We commit to delivering your order in accordance with the information provided in the Pledge Manager, or refund 90% of the paid amount if you do not fill out the following information in the Pledge Manager by the time it is closed:
• Indicate the detail of your order
• Fill out your delivery information
• Pay your shipping fees
• Validate and confirm your order in the Pledge Manager.
We regret we are unable to ship to PO Boxes, and to following countries:
Cuba, Iran, Burma (Myanmar), Sudan, North Korea and Syria.
• Follow the communications through the project updates. Kickstarter.com sends you each update by email, but if you do not receive them (spam, change in your email address…) it is up to you to stay informed. The updates are regular and all available on the Kickstarter project page. The updates will also be published on our Facebook page. (https://www.facebook.com/monolithedition/)
• Fill out your information to finalize your order, enter your delivery address and pay your shipping fees in the Pledge Manager before it is closed. The opening and closing dates of the Pledge Manager will be announced in a Kickstarter update.
• Update your delivery address in the Pledge Manager in case of change and provide valid information for your delivery (full address, email address, phone number). The deadline for updating your information and the delivery dates will be announced in a Kickstarter update. Updating your information cannot be done by mail or direct message via Facebook or Kickstarter. We will not be able to refund the orders delivered to an invalid address and the reshipment will be charged.
• Send your refund request to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the necessary information to process your request (email address used on Kickstarter, amount of the requested refund, and the name of the game). To ensure the efficient processing of your request and its traceability, we can not guarantee an answer through the direct messaging of our Kickstarter or facebook pages.
• Accept the conditions and import taxes of the country you selected for your delivery. We can not refund the orders not delivered or for which the import taxes are too high in the destination country.
• Contact in priority the support service of your delivery hub for any issue related to your order :
- Issues related to the expedition of your parcel (absence, lost or damaged)
- Issues related to the content of your parcel (missing or damaged references)
- Issues related to the content of your game boxes (missing or damaged component)
The tracking information of your parcel is only valid for a few months. In case of an issue, if you do not contact the support service of your hub as indicated in the Kickstarter updates within 3 months after the end of the shipping period, we can not guarantee a positive answer to your support or refund requests.
If these terms are not acceptable to you, then we suggest that you do not participate in this crowdfunding campaign. Thank you for your understanding.
© 2017 Monolith and related logos and distinctive likenesses are trademarks or registered trademarks of Monolith Board Games. All rights reserved.
Batman and all related characters and elements © & TM DC Comics. (s19)
- (32 days)