Stand up for clean air
Air is the single most important thing we consume. It sustains, nourishes, and refreshes. Unfortunately, >90% of the world population breathes unhealthy air according to the World Health Organization. We have a simple goal: to ensure the air we breathe is pure, effortless, and free of irritants -- no matter where our day takes us.
A revolution in design
We are building a wearable breathing device that delivers clean air with a tight and comfortable seal against your nose. Real filters, real results. An alternative to face masks in your daily fight against air pollution.
- Sleek and lightweight, comfortably rests on your ears
- Doesn't interfere with talking
- Nose domes provide a gentle yet tight seal against your nostrils; can be detached for cleaning
- Dedicated exhale valve effortlessly expels your breath
- Replaceable filter module made of material that is >96% PM 10 effective and >90% PM 2.5 effective
- Filter modules can be used for up to a month, less if nasal secretions get inside. Modules will eventually retail for around $5.
- Adjustable strap guarantees a secure fit
- Doesn't get muggy, soggy or hot inside like masks
- Folds like sunglasses, comes with complimentary case
- Wear it on your neck when it's not in use
- Not effective during heavy exercise when mouth breathing is predominant (In contrast, at rest and during walking most breathing is through the nose for most people.)
- Not a replacement for respirator masks in hazardous environments
How it works
The mechanism is similar to how a mask work, but repackaged differently. When you breathe in, you create negative pressure inside the filter module in the device. The module is like a vacuum filter bag supported by an internal scaffold. Dirty air is drawn in, filtered, and clean air inhaled. When you breathe out, the air comes out of a one-way valve at the bottom. To clarify, there is no battery or fan involved.
The filter module is replaceable and typically last 2 to 6 weeks. We'll include an extra filter. The filters will eventually be retailed for an affordable price, around ~$5.
Hello world! My name is Paul the design engineer behind the air filtration wearable. I was originally trained as an electrical engineer at Stanford University and then began attending medical school at Indiana University. One major contributor to airway pathology is air pollution (second only to smoking). It has reached crisis levels in much of China, India and parts of the developing world. Even western cities like London, Paris, Los Angeles and Salt Lake City suffer from serious air pollution too. With my skill sets in both engineering and medicine, I wanted to help. During my design research, I saw that the only common preventive measure outside one's home is wearing a mask. Some mask brands like 3M and Xiaomi actually do a decent job--assuming that you wear their masks and the seal on your face is good. Now those two assumptions don't often hold. So the crux of the problem boils down to designing something that's easier to wear and provides a much better seal. That's exactly what I've done with this project.
We have a functional design prototype and are in position to start manufacturing. That's where we need your support! We will have different colors and finishes for the body and nose piece. We'd love your suggestions on what colors we should offer!
This product is not a substitute for professional respirators and masks in hazardous environments.
Warm thanks to: Our family, friends, schools, collaborators, and backers
Project by Wavelets LLC
Risks and challenges
We have a functional and user tested prototype. Delays can certainly come up during manufacturing and quality control, but we're working with certified manufacturers and our August shipping goal includes couple weeks of buffer time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (12 days)