The Story of Tulid
As with many great products, ours also began with a simple pain point. We wanted to find the best, non-plastic food containers for our everyday use. After extensive research, we settled on mason jars for their durable properties of being freezer/microwave/dishwasher safe.
However, we quickly discovered the canning lids that come with the jars have BPA in the lining and easily rust after a couple of washes. The jar company sells cheap plastic lids, but without a rubber gasket, they're not leak-proof. Thus our dilemma for a better lid started.
And today, we use our mason jars to store lots of things, from dry foods such as granola, oatmeal, cereal, and pasta to liquids such as soups and homemade apple sauce. They're way cheaper than the expensive OXO or Glass Lock containers that we also own. And you have to admit the vintage styling of a heavy glass mason jar just looks a heck of a lot better.
Why is Tulid special?
For starters, there is nothing like Tulid on the market today...
Ergonomic Tulip Shape contours perfectly for your thumb and fingers to rest snug in its subtle groove.
Rubberized Grip enables easy opening for all ages. Sophisticated double injection molding process ensures the highest durability so that it will last for years to come.
Silicone Gasket made of safe, FDA approved food grade material, has a built-in pull tab allowing for quick separation and easy cleaning. It seals in content to prevent leaks and is the only part that ever touches your food.
Writable Surface on the high gloss BPA-free plastic allows for note taking of content and date (dry erase marker). Never again question what the content is or when you should throw it out.
Stackable design offers flexibility for convenient organization on your shelf or in your pantry.
Regular and Wide Mouth sizes ensure a perfect fit with virtually all the latest jars available from Ball and Kerr.
At launch, Tulid will be offered in:
Lime Zest - Regular size only / Orange Splash - Wide mouth size only
Timeline of our development and why we need your help...
We want to see Tulid come to life. We've spent the past 12 months in development, but we need your support to cover the remaining costs of tooling molds and to fund the initial minimum order quantity for production.
As you can see from the extensive amount of work below, Tulid has gone through many iterations to ensure it is flawless.
- Kickstarter campaign for funding and if successful...
- Design verification test and reliability testing (to ensure design freeze)
- Complete packaging design
- Production verification test (to ensure mass production ramp can be sustained and production lines operate efficiently)
- Approve production tools and sign off on final golden samples (these will be the standard for every production unit to match)
- Pay remainder tooling mold costs (we need your help!)
- Release purchase order for initial production build (we need your help!)
- Begin production (estimated ramp of 2.5k units per day)
- Inspect production units for shipment approval from factory (we will air ship these units directly from Asia to the USA to expedite delivery)
- Fulfill orders and begin to ship rewards to Backers
Risks and challenges
As with any project, unforeseen problems can always arise. Fortunately, I've used my experience of having launched well over 100 products in my professional career to minimize the risks by taking the following steps:
1. Completed multiple rounds of prototyping to validate ergonomics, fit, and manufacturability. This ensures manufactured parts will fit as expected and perform to the highest standards.
2. Pre-selected high quality materials that have been tested and proven to be food safe. This should eliminate any concerns of unknown materials used in the manufacturing process.
- Silicone - FDA approved silicone used to create the gasket (only part that actually touches your food).
- Eastman Tritan™ - BPA-free plastic used as the main structure of the lid and writable surface.
- Versaflex™ - FDA approved thermaplastic elastomer used as the rubber grip along the outside of the lid.
3. Awarded a manufacturer (located in China) that makes products for some of the top accessory brands in the world and one that I've worked with professionally for nearly 10 years. This gives me a lot of leverage to have them resolve any potential issues during development and production. Their factory include a facility that makes silicone products using food grade materials and another facility that is a plastics injection molder, with expertise in developing complex tools that can handle double injection as well as rotating out of the tool to create our threading.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)