Explore the meaning and joy of life with atheists in this book of photos and commentary. A Better Life: 100 Atheists Speak Out on Joy and Meaning in a World Without God, is a 200+ page, hardcover photography book featuring subjects both famous and not, including well known atheist/agnostic speakers, writers, and celebrities.
A few of the people who have agreed to be in the book:
- Dr. Richard Dawkins, biologist/author
- Sean Faircloth, speaker/author
- Derren Brown, illusionist/mentalist
- Alex Honnold, free solo rock climber
- Dr. Steven Pinker, cognitive scientist/author
- PZ Myers, evolutionary biologist/blogger
- Dr. Daniel Dennett, philosopher/cognitive scientist
- Dr. Lawrence M. Krauss, theoretical physicist/author
- Matt Dillahunty, host of The Atheist Experience
- Dr. Michael Shermer, founder of Skeptic Magazine/author
- Rebecca Watson, blogger/speaker
- Matthew Chapman, film director/writer
- Julia Sweeney, comedian
- Dr. Steven Novella, neurologist
- Greta Christina, blogger/speaker
- Chris Mooney, host of Point of Inquiry/author
- Dr. Patricia Churchland, neurophilosopher
- Dr. Carolyn Porco, planetary scientist
- D.J. Grothe, president, JREF
- Beth Presswood & Lynnea Glasser, Godless Bitches podcast
- David Silverman, president, American Atheists
- Hemant Mehta, blogger
- Brian Dunning, host, Skeptoid podcast
- Jessica Ahlquist, First Amendment hero
- Roy Speckhardt, executive director, American Humanist Association
...and many more!
Each portrait will be paired with a short message from the subject about some aspect of joy, meaning or passion in life. It could focus on the love of a beautiful relationship, the joy of a rewarding career, the pleasure of a treasured pastime, the impact of a powerful experience, or any other topics.The goal of the book is to dispel the common misconception that the lives of nonbelievers are somehow emptier or less meaningful. This idea is not only false, but harmful as well. It hurts those who are afraid to “come out” as an atheist because they’re scared what those close to them will think. I hope this book can reach out and serve as an inspiration.
The finished product will be a 9"x12", 200+ page, cloth-bound, hardcover, professionally printed photography book in full color on thick, #100 paper stock. I will be printing 5,000 copies of the book.
I’m planning to travel to over 25 cities in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom photographing these subjects in settings which reflect their personalities. The whole project will take roughly twelve months to complete.
If you are able to, please pledge to see that this project can become a reality. If you’re unable to pledge or in addition to your financial contribution, you can help spread the word!
Here are four ways you can help let others know about this project:
- Email your friends asking them to check out this Kickstarter page or the website: www.theatheistbook.com
- Share this Kickstarter page on your Facebook wall or Twitter:
- You can also share/repost the promotional videos, which you can find here.
- You can also “like” us on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/theatheistbook
- (60 days)