About this project
I invented the HankyBook to improve the user experience and address the sanitary concerns and environmental impact of disposable tissues and handkerchiefs. I have never left home without one since its inception because it is so useful!
The HankyBook (short for handkerchief book) has a BOOK-form. It has 8 super soft organic cotton fabric "pages" and an attractive cover that are all sewn together on an edge. The book-like form allows you to have easy access to a new clean page for each use and the protective cover keeps you from getting your hands, pocket or bag dirty until machine washing.
The HankyBook eliminates tissue clutter (and endless visits to the trash can) and expenses ($$$) as well as prevents the painful sore nose you get from using harsh tissues (like when you're sick or during allergy season). The super soft fabric and on-the-go convenience also makes them a GREAT item for keeping baby faces clean and cute while out and about. It is the perfect travel companion.
With your support we can pay the initial start-up costs for mass production which will allow the HankyBook to be made affordably and ethically.
THE BENEFITS OF A HANKYBOOK:
- Easy to use. A clean surface every time.
- Super soft pages prevent nose irritation when sick or during allergy season.
- Pocket & Travel-friendly: Fits easily in a pocket and is there when you need it. Cover keeps your pocket clean.
- No tissue clutter and waste.
- $$$ Saving. No need to buy more tissues!
- Certified Organic fabric and Made in the USA
WHAT CAN A HANKYBOOK BE USED FOR?:
- Exercise, Bike & Yoga companion. (when you're sweating and leaking more than usual)
- Cold weather climates and sports. (skiing, snowboarding, etc)
- Baby clean up. (Babies drool and slobber CONSTANTLY which leads to a bag full of used tissues or else you're visiting the trash can every other second. Great $ saver and the baby will appreciate the soft fabric.)
- Camping & Hiking. (when you need to pack light and tread lighter)
- Cleaning your glasses and camera lenses.
- Make-up touch-up.
- Tears for touching moments.
- Runny nose during allergy and Flu season.
- you get the picture, anything!
Around the 1930's our society succumbed to clever Kleenex ad campaigns and moved away from the handkerchief without realizing the devastating effect disposable tissues would have on the planet. Today, if every household in the United States replaced just one box of virgin fiber facial tissues with HankyBooks, it could save 163,000 trees (source: NRDC.com)! The HankyBook revolutionizes the classic handkerchief to help us make the transition today.
We have identified a screen printer and die cutter and have completed a small sample run with these suppliers. We will use the Kickstarter money for tooling costs and the large startup costs of mass screen printing production. We anticipate it will take about 6 weeks to go from start of production to delivery. We will always keep you updated in the case of changes to the schedule.
Hi! More about Us:
We are a husband and wife team (Arto & Leslie) living in sunny San Diego, CA. We share a passion for the environment and treading lightly on the Earth which is what brought us together. We dig gardening, Permaculture, farmers markets, camping, film and creative projects. Arto is a film editor and Leslie designs SCUBA dive lights. We have been developing the HankyBook together and see a big future for our baby. Hope you agree! If you have any further questions, check out our FAQ section or you can send us a message. We'd love to hear from you!
Risks and challenges
Vast amounts of time, energy, and resources have been invested to develop the HankyBook between my first prototype in college to the HankyBook today. The phrase, "Nothing is as easy as it seems" DEFINITELY rings true.
Luckily the development is behind us and in the last few months we completed a sample production run where we had our fabric rotary screen printed (California) then sent to a die cutting facility (Colorado) where the fabric was cut by what looked like a giant cookie-cutter tool. The process proved successful and now I am confident that the same process can be repeated for the high volume run .
We will be shipping in July which is a conservative estimate of when we will be finished.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)