AS YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED, WE HAVE REACHED OUR GOAL. HOWEVER, WE ARE STILL APPRECIATIVE OF ADDITIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS, WHICH WILL GIVE US A BIT OF A CUSHION AGAINST UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES AND ALLOW US TO ENHANCE OUR MARKETING. WE APPRECIATE EVERY PLEDGE MORE THAN YOU CAN KNOW.
In the late 1980s Gene Roddenberry and Robert H. Justman gave Marc Cushman permission and encouragement to write the definitive history of "Star Trek®: The Original Series". They backed up their stamp of approval by providing Marc exclusive access to all the production documents generated by the series -- everything from the creation of the idea by Gene Roddenberry to the last day of production.
Unfortunately, as Marc was completing the writing, he was diagnosed with advanced, stage-three cancer. But, the first volume is ready to go to press and we are raising this money for a much needed marketing campaign to help Marc get his passion project into the hands of Trekkers around the world as soon as possible.
"These are the Voyages" is a three-volume book set that provides stunningly detailed documentation of the creation, production, and post production of both pilots and all three seasons of "Star Trek®," including story development, the writing of the teleplays, casting, set design, shooting, editing and the struggle to complete innovative special effects that were state of the art for their time.
The set contains hundreds of previously unpublished insights and recollections from actors, directors, producers, and production crew, capturing what went on from every perspective, including memos dictated by Roddenberry while reading drafts to the series scripts. The books offer a unique look behind-the-scenes in the form of original staff memos, contracts, schedules, budgets, network correspondence, and the censor reports from NBC Standards and Practices.
Gene’s son, Rod Roddenberry, has said, “This is going to be the bible to STAR TREK® and how it was made. This is a book that I’m going to keep near and dear and utilize throughout my life.”
Here is just some of what you’ll find in the first volume of "These are the Voyages"::
• Hundreds of previously unpublished insights and recollections from the actors, writers, directors, producers, and production crew of the series, capturing what went on from every perspective — including lengthy new material from series creator Gene Roddenberry, privately recorded before his passing and finally made public here.
• A unique look behind the scenes in the form of original staff memos -- including Gene Roddenberry's own memos, recorded while reading drafts of the series scripts -- contracts, schedules, budgets, network correspondence, censor reports from NBC Standards and Practices, and other newly-uncovered documentation. Read about the making of each episode as the episodes are being made, straight from the typewriters of the people who were making them.
• The passionate memos and letters of writer/producer Gene Coon, who never gave an interview concerning Star Trek® before his death, and whose voice is finally heard as his extraordinarily important contribution to the series is fully explored.
• The documented truth behind the writing of "The City on the Edge of Forever," Season One’s most acclaimed episode and winner of the Hugo and Writers Guild Awards. Rumors about who wrote what in this episode have been circulating for years. Now, what really happened and who deserves credit, is revealed at last.
• The surprising and dramatic story of how Season One’s most criticized episode,"The Alternative Factor," went awry and became a jumbled mess.
• The actual Nielsen ratings, secret for 45 years, are made public here for the very first time for every episode. (And guess what…they were a lot better than NBC ever admitted!) Transport yourself back in space and time to witness the true history of Season One of Star Trek®: TOS. Go behind the closed doors of NBC, Desilu/Paramount, the producers’ offices, the writers’ room, the sound stages and shooting locations, and learn the actual facts behind all the blood, sweat, tears, politics, and spellbinding creativity that brought Star Trek® into being…and changed the world.
These books have been more than twenty years in the making and embody Mr. Cushman's intense passion for the material and his desire to deliver that material to Trekkers everywhere.
"These are the Voyages" is Marc Cushman's second TV series bio. The first book, "I Spy: A History and Episode Guide to the Groundbreaking Television Series," co-written with Linda J. LaRosa, with a foreword by Robert Culp, was published by McFarland & Company, Inc. in 2007.
In addition to that book, Marc's writing credits include work for "Star Trek: The Next Generation," "Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction," "Diagnosis Murder" and "Bachelor Pad." His feature film credits include "Midnight Confessions," "Teresa's Tattoo," "The Magic of Christmas" and "In the Eyes of a Killer."
Risks and challenges
All three volumes are written. The first manuscript has been edited and proofed and is being formatted for printing. The second and third volumes are currently undergoing structural editing and we hope to have both available for printing before the end of 2013. But these are highly ambitious book projects and, while Jacobs/Brown has the resources and commitment to bring them to press, the process will take longer than many fans, or the author, would like to wait. That's where the Kickstarter community comes in. We believe wholeheartedly that a $10,000 capital injection will provide us with adequate resources to complete the cover graphics, initiate printing, and conduct a marketing campaign to launch these books in a way that will sustain the process to completion and help Marc realize his dream for Trekkers everywhere.
This book is a work of journalism and is not endorsed, sponsored, or affiliated with CBS Studios Inc. or the "Star Trek®" franchise. The Star Trek® trademarks, logos, and related names are owned by CBS Studios Inc., and are used under "fair use" guidelines.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)