Do you love your iPad but hate to hold it for more than 10 minutes? The TabLetGO will hold your iPad hands free for hours of enjoyment. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on January 31, 2013.
About this project
After the Kickstarter ends, you can still pre-order the TabLetGO on our website
I got a tablet computer for Father’s Day in 2011. I love the tablet but I found it bothersome to hold if for very long when reading or watching movies.
I've been a mechanical engineer and product developer for over 20 years, designing all kinds of products for companies like Motorola and Sony. I created several functional prototypes for this product to perfect the design. The goal of this Kickstarter project is to get the injection molding tooling made and kick off the manufacturing of this product.
The Problem I'm Solving
I love my tablet computer. I use it for reading with my Kindle app and watching YouTube videos and Netflix movies. I really love to use it lying down on the sofa or bed. The problem is that my arms get tired holding the tablet for more than ten minutes.
iPads for Soldiers
This Kickstarter project wants to help with iPads for Soldiers.
It's easy to loose your grip on an tablet held overhead.A young woman in Taiwan chipped her front tooth when her iPad fell on her face.
More and More Active Seniors are Using iPads
If you really love your grandmother, would you want her hunched over a pillow just so she could read an ebook on her iPad? Here is a hundred year old woman using her new iPad on her birthday. There has to be a better way.
My patent pending product is called TabLetGO. It's a high quality bamboo lap desk with a removable pillow on the bottom and a pivoting holder that holds your iPad at the perfect viewing angle with 180 degrees of movement.
I have a functional prototype that I've been testing for months now. This Kickstarter project is to fund the tooling and buy the parts to get it manufactured.
Here's the functional prototype with the Velcro pillow removed for counter top use.
I created the design in CAD to work out all the details. I got quotes for the injection molding, have suppliers lined up and I'm ready to get this manufactured.The TabLETGO is an elegant solution to hold your tablet, iPad or eReader. It's portable, universal and easy to use.
The TabLetGO holds your tablet in the optimal viewing angle at home or on the go in portrait or landscape orientation. TabLetGO will let your love you iPad, tablet, or eReader even more!
The TabLETGO is an elegant solution to hold your tablet, iPad or eReader. It's portable, universal and easy to use. TabLetGO is the hands-free iPad, tablet computer, and eReader holder that provides the perfect viewing angle in bed, around the home and on the go. It's part lap desk and part awesome accessory to hold your device landscape or portrait, at any angle.
The TabLetGO holds your tablet in the optimal viewing angle at home or on the go in portrait or landscape orientation. TabLetGO will let you love your iPad, tablet, or eReader even more!
Virtually every iPad holder on the market tilts the screen away from you, and tilts it at a predetermined angle. The result is not the optimal viewing angle how you use use your iPad. You need the screen tilted the right way for the most comfort.
• Holds your tablet so you don't have to
• Positions at the optimal angle
• View in portrait or landscape orientation
• Portable and travel friendly
• Angles toward you when lying down and away from you when seated or standing at a counter
• Won't move as you type
• Pillow is attached with Velcro for easy removal
Use it almost anywhere
• Sofa or chair
• In bed
• In the kitchen or other counter top surfaces
• On the treadmill
• In the car
• On a flight
• Use it as a second display for your laptop, it even provides a mouse pad
• Hulu or Netflix
• Use with a Bluetooth keyboard
One of the nice features of having a large flat surface on the lap desk is that you can customize it. I'm working with Skinit.com to come up with a custom size skin for the TabLetGo. This will let you express your personality or show your support for your favorite team.
We also have the opportunity to make TabLetGO holders with corporate logos.
Keys to Success
I’ve been creating and developing products for 20 years. I’ve been working on solving this problem for 18 months. I’ve tested 10 different hinges from three manufacturers to find the best components. This product has been thoroughly prototyped around 20 times with different design concepts. It has been tested and works with most popular tablets that are 9.52 mm thick or less.
How It’s Made
It's really quite simple. I believe the more simple the design the more elegant the solution. The holder portion is molded from recyclable plastic. I designed the holder to allow the iPad to be inserted facing either direction. This lets the user angle it either direction and still see the screen. The lap desk is a board made from renewable bamboo.
There are three parts: Lap desk, hinge and the holder.
1) The renewable bamboo lap desk with the pillow will be sourced from Naturesort in Houston, TX
2) The hinge is an off the shelf part and will purchased from Reel Precision Manufacturing in St. Paul, MN
3) The holder will be tooled and molded by ProtoLabs in Maple Plain, MN
I plan to use Lee County Industries, Inc. in Sanford, NC for my contract manufacturer and fulfillment.
The real hero of the design is the constant torque hinge. This is the technology that is used on laptop computers to hold the display where you want it. The hinge I selected is made by a US company called Reell Precision Manufacturing. They were very helpful in selecting the right hinge for the job.
Production Plan Timeline
- Once funded, the first step is to commission the tooling from Protolabs. This should only take 2-3 weeks.
- Sourcing the bamboo lap desks will take the most time. Production ramp up is 30 days and then they will ship from Asia where the bamboo is grown.
- The TabLetGO will start shipping in late Early April
Please help me make this a reality
With your help we can make this invention a reality. You can be part of the successful project and be one of the first owners of the TabLetGO hands-free tablet holder.
Risks and challenges
Being a mechanical engineer and product developer for as long as I have, you learn that not all things go as planned.
Since there are only 3 components, the risks are easy to identify and mitigate.
1) The injection molded holder: This part has been through several design iterations and at least five prototypes. I started with wood and then made a 3-D printed model with Shapeways. We decided to make a prototype tool with ProtoMold. Proto tools can be made in weeks.
2) The hinge: I tried so many hinges I lost count. I selected one that meets the most demanding use-case. It has been real world tested by several people.
3) The lap desk: Not exactly high tech. We are evaluating samples from multiple suppliers. The main risk here is that shipping may be delayed.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
It will work with tablets that are 9.5 mm or thinner. So if you have an iPad Mini you are good. Here is a listing of tablet dimensions.
- (36 days)