Hallowed Ground Terrain's Free Fire Zone
Hallowed Ground Terrain presents a line of 15mm wargame terrain & "Free Fire Zone," rules for miniature gaming the Vietnam War.
Hallowed Ground Terrain is proud to launch our Kickstarter campaign for the world's largest selection of 15mm Vietnam terrain, and a completely new rewrite of the classic Vietnam miniature wargame rules, "Free Fire Zone." Our terrain line will kick off with 70+ pieces of terrain and is on pace to top 100 by the end of 2014. And the best part of it all.......It's all made in the USA. That's right, all of the production and painting for our line is done right here in the US.
The centerpiece of our terrain line is a highly detailed, modular 25 piece resin firebase set that can be completely customized and expanded to whatever size and configuration you'd like. Not only are the outside perimeter fences and bunkers included, so are all of the commonly found structures found in a Vietnam-era firebase. Here's what we've got ready to move into production so far:
- 10 Interior buildings including CP, bunkers, ammo dumps, artillery pits, helicopter & AFV revetments.
- 28 Field positions, bunkers, and trenches for US or VC/NVA forces.
- 10 Vietnamese huts, hooches, & village pieces with removable roofs and raised platforms
- 10+ River vessels including a Monitor, Armored Troop Carrier "Tango Boat", junks & sampans.
- Objective markers
Free Fire Zone features a number of new approaches to miniature gaming the Vietnam War. Here are a few of the rule mechanics we're featuring for FFZ:
- A fast moving, but realistic system to keep the game flowing and capture the "feel" of combat in the jungle.
- A 2 tiered morale system to reflect the how being under fire & taking casualties affects a unit, before it breaks.
- Realistic hidden movement & deployment that simulates fighting an enemy (the VC/NVA) who was difficult to find, unless they wanted to be found.
- Devastating rules for the ambushes that so often triggered battles during the Vietnam War.
We are launching this Kickstarter to move our terrain pieces into full production mode. To do this we need your help through this Kickstarter. Ramping up into full production includes purchasing additional equipment & materials needed for large scale production runs, as well as the printing costs of our Free Fire Zone rules.
All of our sets come unpainted. If you would like them painted our skilled painters would love to do that for you. They live for it. For the reward level pledges add the painting cost listed in the description to your pledge package. For add-on pieces please pledge the painted price if you'd like them painted (instead of the unpainted price). The miniatures in the video are not part of any of the pledges and are only to show scale.
For a more detailed look at individual pieces check out the photos in the Add-Ons & Stretch Goals sections below.
This set represents the style of civilian (or disguised VC....) boats that would be found on the Mekong River or any of the thousands of miles of other rivers found in Vietnam. For damaged/sinking versions of these ships check out our add-ons and stretch goals at the end of this page. One damaged/sinking version is currently available and the rest should be available during the course of this Kickstarter.
The Village Reward includes 4 small huts & 2 large huts, just the right size for a small village in a jungle clearing. Can you search them without getting ambushed......? The huts in front are design masters showing the hand sculpted green stuff detailing the finished inside thatching on the walls. The floors are rough wood detailed, and the roofs of all the huts is removable.
The Field Position Set is great at showing what US and allied forces would set up for temporary positions during field operations. The 11 terrain pieces in this set represent some of the most common, short-term field fortifications the US would use.
The VC/NVA Field Position Set shows a wide variety of the types of defensive fortifications that they used during the war. The 2 flocked bunkers are semi-underground types that were heavily camouflaged. The last thing a point man of a patrol would often see was the muzzle-flashes of a machine gun from bunkers like these. Entry into this type of bunker was usually through a spider-hole tunnel located nearby.
Check for more bunkers in the Add-Ons & Stretch Goals sections. We have a number more that will be available during the course of this Kickstarter.
The Firebase Interior Set shows the level of protection needed to protect the men and equipment that made a firebase work. The heavy sandbagging helped protect the soldiers from sniper fire and shell fragments, though a direct hit could still be deadly.
The following interior pieces are included in this set: Underground Ammo Bunker, Trench w/Bunker, Artillery Pit, Command Post Bunker, Fighting Position w/Bunker, Fire Control Bunker, APC/Tank Emplacement, & Large Bunker Position.
The firebase was a cornerstone of the US strategy in Vietnam. Troops would quickly move into an area, clear it of the enemy, and then build a firebase to house artillery batteries that could support further operations in a contested area. These often came under intense attack by rockets, mortars, snipers, or human wave assaults. This led to the heavily fortified nature of a firebase.
Hallowed Ground Terrain's modular firebase is designed to allow you to recreate any size firebase you'd like, and let you customize it to suit your taste. The perimeter of the firebase consists of 3 types of pieces: Corner sections, full wall sections, and half-wall sections. Each firebase set needs 5 corner sections, all of which are bunkers. In between each of these you can place as many of the wall sections as you wish to expand it's size. The only limitation is that you place the same total length between each of the 5 corner sections. This allows them to all come together and fit. For example, if you place 3 full wall sections & 1 half wall section between two corner bunkers, you have to place the same amount between all of them to get the firebase to close properly.
While the corner sections are all bunkers, the full & half wall sections vary, allowing you to custom design your firebase. Here are the ones currently available:
Full Wall Sections - plain sheet metal, log reinforced sheet metal, gate, and bunker.
Half Wall Section - Plain sheet metal, log reinforced sheet metal, sandbagged observation post, and open fighting position.
The above pictured Hilltop Firebase Set is 27" across and has a perimeter length of 98".
The above pictured Standard Firebase Set is 36" across and has a perimeter length of 119".
In addition to the perimeter this firebase, the following interior pieces are included in this set: Trench w/Bunker, Command Post Bunker, Fire Control Bunker. Also included (but not shown in the photographs) is the sandbagged flagpole.
Did you ever think "Wow, I'd like to play a miniature battle of a firebase assault like the one in that John Wayne movie?" If so, this is the set for you. The top photo shows the "Khe Sanh" reward laid out on a 5 foot by 6 foot table, and it takes up nearly all of it. The "Khe Sanh" set just screams out for you to move the living room furniture out of the way (as well as all non-gaming mammals) and play a massive, all weekend battle. This set measures 57" across and has a perimeter length of 204." And if that isn't big enough, you can always add more wall sections to expand it further......If you dare.
The following interior pieces are included in this set: Underground Ammo Bunker (x2), Trench w/Bunker (x2), Artillery Pit (x2), Command Post Bunker (x2), Fighting Position w/Bunker (x2), Fire Control Bunker (x2), APC/Tank Emplacement (x2), & Large Bunker Position (x2). Also included in this set (but not shown in the photographs) is the sandbagged flagpole and the 6 reinforced towers.
"I want the original, painted set from the photos" (Pro-painted Design Set) - This one time offering is for the whole set (one of each piece) of 55 painted terrain we used for the photos and videos in this Kickstarter. These are all professionally painted by CGR Painters to the highest industry standard and really capture the feel of a Vietnam era firebase.
- 101010 - 1/2 Wall Section Firing position
- 101011 - 1/2 Wall Section Observation Post
- 101034 - VC/NVA Small Bunker
- 101070 - Sampan B
- 101074 - Junk B
- 101033 - VC/NVA Medium Log Reinforced Bunker
- 101038 - VC/NVA Medium Fighting Position
- 101041 - VC/NVA Small Fighting Position
- 101042 - VC/NVA Small Bunker w/Fighting Position
- 101096 - Guard Tower
- 101025 - US Small Field Position
- 101029 - US Medium "Khe Sanh" Style Trench
- 101039 - VC/NVA Small Fighting Trench
- 101040 - VC/NVA Small Fighting Position w/Observation Post
- 101071 - Sampan B Sinking
- 101072 - Sampan A
- 101073 - Junk A w/Fishing Net
- 101005 - Firebase Wall Section w/Logs
- 101006 -Firebase Wall Section w/Corrugated Steel
- 101024 - US Medium Field Position
- 101031 - VC/NVA Large Bunker
- 101032 - VC/NVA Medium Bunker Concealed
- 101037 - VC/NVA Medium Fighting Trench
- 101043 - VC/NVA VC/NVA Artillery/Mortar Position
- 101022 - US Gun/Platoon Position
- 101028 - US Medium Trench
- 101013 - US Underground Ammo Bunker
- 101014 - Firebase Trench w/Bunker
- 101017 - Firebase Fighting Position w/Bunker
- 101036 - VC/NVA Large Fighting Trench
- 101061 - Objective: Mine Damaged M113 APC
- 101082 - Small Hut A
- 101083 - Small Hut B
- 101026 - Large Gun Pit w/Tarp
- 101035 - VC/NVA Large Bunker w/Roof
- 101019 - Firebase APC/Tank Emplacement
- 101020 - Firebase Large Bunker Position
- 101080 - Large Hut A
- 101081 - Large Hut B
- 101002 - Firebase Wall Gate Section
- 101003 - Firebase Wall Bunker Section
- 101004 - Firebase Corner Bunker
- 101016 - Firebase Command Post Bunker
- 101015 Firebase Artillery Position
- 101018 Firebase Fire Control Bunker
- 101021 US Field Artillery Position
- 101068 - Monitor
- 101069 - Armored Troop Carrier "Tango" Boat
Risks and challenges
While no project or business endeavor is totally without risk, we're already past the hard part. The terrain pieces you've seen in our videos and photos are already designed, prototypes & master molds made, and ready for limited production. The Free Fire Zone rules are in the late beta-design stage, and will be moving on to playtesting in 4 to 6 weeks. So, this project is in a position to succeed.
“So, why do you need our help?”
We need your help because we're currently a small, two man operation. If we were going to ship our stuff to China to produce, we'd be done. But that's not what we want. We want to keep all of Hallowed Ground Terrain's items designed, produced, and painted in the USA. We want to do it here so we can ensure that these products are made to the highest production standards using the best materials available. Moving to full production is expensive, but with your help, we know we can bring the best Vietnam terrain and set of rules to the gaming community.
Thank you for considering our Kickstarter project.
Henry & MikeLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)