Coffee for Camping, Backpacking & Life's Adventures
Kuju Coffee is the story of two Eagle Scout brothers who grew up camping in the outdoors and have always loved a great cup of coffee.
We realized that before every camping trip, there was always a choice to be made: Enjoy the convenience of instant coffee and tolerate its sub-par taste or enjoy freshly brewed coffee and endure the hassle of bulky brewing equipment?
Freshly brewed coffee in the outdoors shouldn’t have to be a hassle. That's why we're excited to bring you the Kuju PourOver.
Meet The Kuju PourOver
The Kuju PourOver is the newest revolution in coffee for camping and life's adventures. It's as convenient as instant coffee, yet as fresh as a pour over brewed at home. With 100% real coffee grounds, you'll never have to drink a chemically-processed cup of instant coffee again. The reinforced anchors secure the Kuju PourOver on your cup as you pour hot water while brewing coffee.
Inspired by Japanese origami, the Kuju PourOver is small and lightweight when folded, but functional and secure when sitting over your cup.
Convenient in nature, the Kuju PourOver can be taken anywhere to brew a fresh cup of coffee. Whether you're on your next outdoor adventure or need an extra rush of caffeine at the office, the Kuju PourOver is there for you.
The Kuju PourOver fits on almost any size cup or mug like a standard tin camping mug or even a wide-mouthed backpacking thermos. This versatility makes it easy to freshly brew coffee regardless of your equipment.
Sealed in nitrogen-flushed packaging, the coffee in all Kuju PourOvers stay fresh no matter how long your trip is. It's flat, streamlined package design makes it easy to pack in and out with no hassle.
Sneak Peak of Rewards
The Kuju Team
1% to Environmental Conservation
We want to protect the places in which we venture, which is why Kuju Coffee donates 1% of our sales to non-profits that support environmental conservation. We plan to partner with organization One Percent for the Planet upon funding to spread the word about conserving the beautiful outdoors.
What happens when I join the Kuju KIN?
When you join the KIN you become a part of the Kuju inner circle and will receive exclusive brews, product offerings and gear on launch. You become a part of the family and will help Kuju become a force for great coffee and inspiring others to embrace their adventure.
Steps to Brewing
- Do you guys sell the filters separately without coffee? - Unfortunately, we do not currently sell the filters separately. Our goal is to provide you an outdoor coffee experience that is simultaneously as convenient and high-quality as possible by removing as much hassle out of the coffee brewing process as possible. That said, we hope you like our coffee and wouldn’t need to bring your own!
- What kind of coffee comes in the Kuju PourOver? - The Kuju PourOver comes with 100% Direct Trade coffee blends consciously sourced from all over the world. The most challenging part of brewing a great cup of coffee in the outdoors is the unpredictable brewing conditions. As such, the Kuju PourOver contains coffee that is roasted and ground to taste great under any kind of brewing circumstance - cold weather, high altitude, sub-optimal water temperatures, etc.
- What’s different about your coffee? - When we say our coffee is 100% Direct Trade, we mean it. We are working with farms who have been left behind by the broader coffee industry for either reasons of being too small or remote to work with. What's also different about our coffee is that each roast is designed to brew well is sub-optimal brewing conditions. Brewing atop Mount Everest is completely different from brewing in your home kitchen. Our brews take those differences into account.
How is this different from other similar products on the market? -
While we recognize that similar products exist on the market (outside of the US), three major qualities make us unique: (1) quality, (2) freshness and (3) social impact.
QUALITY - Similar products in other parts of the world are designed to be high-convenience-only products. Therefore, little attention is paid to the quality of the coffee inside. We source high-quality coffees from all over the world to ensure that you can not only brew fresh coffee anywhere, but also have it be as high-quality as pour over brewed right at home.
FRESHNESS - Most similar products are not nitrogen-flushed to ensure freshness of coffee. In fact, many of these are designed to be used in hotels where being cheap for the hotel to carry is the priority - not freshness. We fully nitrogen-flush every Kuju PourOver so that your brew is as fresh as possible.
SOCIAL IMPACT - Kuju works with Direct Trade coffee farms that have been left behind by corporate coffee buyers for reasons of inability to scale or logistical shipping costs due to their remote locations. This way, for every Kuju PourOver you purchase you are literally enabling a better life for the farmers behind it.
- Is the Kuju PourOver compostable? - Compostability and the environment are important to us. While some materials from the Kuju PourOver are compostable, currently, the Kuju PourOver is not fully compostable. However, we are currently designing a second version that will be 100% compostable and more friendly to our Mother Earth.
- Can you adjust the strength of your coffee? - Yes. Once you are close to brewing completion, simply let the filter steep in the coffee to allow for an immersion brewing process. For stronger coffee, leave the filter in for 30-60 more seconds. For lighter coffee, remove the filter immediately after brewing.
- Is the PourOver reusable? - We do not recommend reusing the filter, but if you’re out in the wild and have none left, then go for it!
- Where do you source your coffee from? - We source Direct Trade coffees from all over the world. We have developed blends that specifically brew and taste best when in the outdoors.
- Do you ship outside of the US? We are not currently shipping outside of the US, but hope to in the near future. If you are outside the US and want some, please let us know. Getting a sense of demand helps us plan for inventory accordingly.
- How long does the coffee stay fresh? - Because we nitrogen-flush every Kuju PourOver, the coffee stays fresh for up to 12 months. Though we recommend use within 6 months of purchase and use immediately after opening.
Risks and challenges
Fulfillment - With any small business startup, you run the risk of managing your customer facing launch alongside your supply chain’s ability to deliver in the desired window, we've taken professional precautions and preparations to ensure effective delivery. if issues arise, please contact us and we will work quickly to fix any problems.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)