About Pyramid of the Lost King
Pyramid of the Lost King is the newest Lands of Usarm adventure from Genius Loci Games. Pyramid takes place in the deserts far to the south of the Ruined City of Uostin where the merchant guilds of Neark are trying to open trade with the elvish forest kings of the Last Land. However, between the Lands of Usarm and the Last Lands stands the Saragubi Desert, A wild and unexplored place that offers adventurers a chance at fortune, fame, and of course certain death.
Pyramid of the Lost King is a decentralized sandbox adventure centering around an area of the Desert known as the Narrows. The Narrows is a section of desert that is divided into a northern and southern half by a massive slab of sandstone over 200 miles wide and 300 feet in height. The only way (aside from walking around) past this slab of rock is through the narrow canyon the area gets its name form. The Narrows and the desert around it have become a hot bed of activity as the merchant guilds have come to rely on it for their caravans to the Last Lands. However, the desert around the Narrows is still unexplored and dangers, both ancient and new, encroach.
Pyramid of the Lost King is nearly complete its initial writing phase and revisions will begin before this Kickstarter is halfway to its deadline. What has been written (all but two dungeons/encounter areas) has met with success and praise both online and at MEPAcon Fall 2014. With the adventure nearly written it is time to think and gather production materials and that, my friends, is the point of this kickstarter!
With the exception of the writer the entire bullpen staff will be hired from outside of Genius Loci Games. What this means is that should the Kickstarter not fund, whatever final form Pyramid of the Lost King takes it will be without the wonderful work of the artists and editors of the Bullpen. I feel these guys should get their fair wage for their amazing work which is by and large why this kickstarter exists.
- Jolly Johua De Santo - Writer
- Fantastic Frank Turfler Jr. - Interior Artist
- Dauntless Del Teigeler - Interior Artist
- Jovial Jim White - Editing
- Gritty Glynn Seal of Monkey Blood Design - Maps
- Shady Someone else - Cover Art
In addition to this amazing force of creative prowess the Exceptional Erik Tenkar of Tenkar's Tavern and the Terrific Tim Shorts of The Manor have agreed to lend their pens to the desert to create their own encounter areas to beguile, haunt and intrigue!
- $3,500 - The Rock of Saint Giles - If Unlocked the adventure will gain a new dungeon area for the players to explore within the Upper Narrows.
- $4,000 - Players Guide to Basq - If Unlocked the a separate pdf will be created with alternate race options for players as well as a short "tour" of Basq and the Saragubi.
- $4,500 - Secret Dungeon - If Unlocked another (currently secret) dungeon will be added to the Lower Narrows for the players to explore.
- $5,000 - More interior art will be commissioned for inclusion in both the main book and the Players Guide pdf.
- $5,500 - If Unlocked I will make a 5Next Edition of the adventure as a $10.00 add-on (pdf only).
- $6,000 - If unlocked I will make (or outsource) a Pathfinder 3.5 Compatible version of the adventure as a $10.00 add-on (pdf only)
- $7,000 - If unlocked VTT versions of the Swords & Wizardry version of the adventure will be released and added as a downloadable extra to all backers of the $10.00 level and higher.
How the Funds are Used
With the goal's current tag of $3,000 the breakdown goes as such:
- Cartography - 600 to 800 dollars
- Cover Art - 600 to 650 dollars
- Interior Art - 600 dollars
- Editing - 500 dollars
- Kickstarter/Amazon Fees - 250 dollars
This actually puts me at about 2,800 exactly. Any surplus will go back into the project for more art, editing services, and any other potential needs.
PDFs, Printing, and Shipping
PDF and Print versions of Pyramid of the Lost King will be fulfilled by One Book Shelf. When the adventure is ready all backers will receive a code for their backed version of the adventure. For backers of the Print or Print+PDF reward level a code will be sent for an At Cost of the print adventure.
This route is being taken for two reasons. First OBS has a long history of print fulfillment through Lightning Source and is one of the primer and most trusted print on demand services in the gaming hobby. Secondly, Lightning Source has printing facilities in North America, Europe and partners in Asia and Australia. This allows International Backers to pledge and receive print versions at a price point that is not as outrageous as it would be if all shipping came from North America.
Risks and challenges
I have previous experience publishing in the digital frontiers of the hobby, however, I have little experience in bringing together and coordinating a group of far-flung individuals. In that regard there may be some challenge, but I have worked previously with several of the bullpen and have full faith in their commitment.
This will also be my first time publishing a book for print and while a print version will be available I am still learning the ins and outs of this process.
"Tempting Secrets" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
- (60 days)