Hi there. I know this update comes right on the heels of Ross Babcock's missive from yesterday, but I was intending to do this anyhow, and he suggested that I include some additional information in it.
GenCon was, as usual, a blast. Busy and tiring, but fun. We had a whole bunch of Earthdawn games (along with 1879, and Demonworld, and Noble Armada), and got the chance to meet a bunch of fans. Some are familiar faces at this point, while others were met face to face for the first time.
Let me summarize where we are now, and what plans are in store.
- Player's Guide
- Gamemaster's Guide
- GM Screen
- Travar: The Merchant City
The last of those is in the process of being shipped out. a few went out before GenCon, but now that our shipping folks at Studio 2 are back at the warehouse, the rest should be making their way out to backers who are getting them.
PDF copies of all four of these are available to all backers (who backed for "All PDF" or higher tiers), and coupon codes were released as backer only updates when the books were made available. If you've been having trouble downloading them, let me know!
Still to come:
* Shirts. We finally got the issues sorted out on the embroidery design. I saw the final version at GenCon (and got mine), and those are being produced and should start shipping in September. Here's a picture:
* Companion. Editing pass continues on this. We'll be starting initial layout shortly, which will give us a sense of how much needs to be cut. There's a bunch of stuff that was developed in conjunction with the other two core books, and it likely won't all fit. As has been the case with the other books, I'll make a pre-art draft available as soon as we can. I've had some previews of the upcoming material over at my developer's blog at fasagames.com
* Elven Nations. The manuscript needs another pass or two, then it will go into layout and production. There hasn't been much work on this recently.
* Questors. In-character chapters are in various draft stages, the power framework for questors has been fleshed out, and work is proceeding on the actual powers and abilities. It's shaping up well, and I'm excited to see what the end result looks like.
I want to get these books out (and in your hands) as quickly as possible. You have all been incredibly patient. I hope the final results meet your expectation, despite the delays. We've got a new product manager that is coming on board, which should help better manage my time with all of this. I sincerely hope to have one (if not two) books out by the end of this year, with the third in the first part of next year.
The delays and such are largely on me -- this KS campaign was wildly more successful than we anticipated, and the excitement got the better of us when it came to stretch goals. I also woefully underestimated the amount of time it would take to complete the promised books. Lessons learned.
A couple of final things to wrap up.
If you are having problems with PDFs in the web store, it is better to send me an email directly (email@example.com). There are one or two people I have emails from already that are being sorted out, I should have a response for you in 24 hours (or less) from this update. Any other questions or issues, send me an email as well.
Next, Morgan and I spent a couple of hours at GenCon going over plans for what is coming up. There are a couple of proposals I've been sitting on, and will be looking at those, but here are a couple of things we're definitely doing. (1) "The Magician's Grab Bag" (working title). This will be a smaller supplement that will contain more spells (including ED4 versions of many older spells) creatures, knacks, thread items, and the like that didn't make it into one of the other core books for whatever reason. (2) A setting book focusing on Iopos and the Denairastas, not just the city itself, but also the plans and plots of the current major villains of the setting.
We've got good ideas in mind for the themes and focus of Jerris and Urupa, and will be looking at books to develop those areas in the future. With the changes to Vivane in the wake of the Second Theran War, a book updating that area is a possibility as well.
In other news, we finally released the ED4 Quick-Start Guide, as well as "Toys in the Attic," the first chapter in the "Legends of Earthdawn" campaign based in Haven. These scenarios are written and developed for our convention appearances, and involve players in the current events in and around Haven. Since everybody can't get to a convention, we're making them available.
That does it for now. I'll do my best to keep you all updated here, without spamming you with updates. More regular posts will go up over on my developer's blog, and we've got good communities on our forums, as well as our official Discord server.