The Samanata story
It all started when we realised how difficult it was to find good quality, environmentally friendly and ethically sourced yoga wear - something that we had expected would be part of the yoga culture we had grown to love. We wanted to practice in clothing that we felt good about buying but also that felt amazing and that we loved the look of… and so we began a journey to combine our love of yoga with our passion for making a difference.
Samanata means equality in Hindi, something we want to incorporate into the way business is done. So how exactly does this fit in with ethical yoga clothing? Well, yoga is about balance and harmony which can only be achieved when there is respect for each other and the environment. It is also a multi-billion dollar industry. MULTI-BILLION! With this information in hand, we also wanted to empower the yoga community to get that money to some of the most vulnerable people in our society. In exchange, we offer the yoga community the kind of yoga clothing they’ve been searching for. With our dedication to ethical and sustainable production, support for local suppliers, partnership with PROJECT FUTURES and of course the support of YOU, we can make this happen!
How do we go about doing this you say?
- By working with local suppliers. All our leggings are made right here in Britain! This enables us to work closely with our suppliers and adequately monitor our supply chain, ensure fair and ethical working conditions and reduce our logistical impact on the environment.
- By dedicating 10% of our profits to PROJECT FUTURES, a not-for- profit organisation that works tirelessly towards the eradication of human trafficking and the empowerment of its survivors. Your money goes directly to projects to support survivors of human trafficking. Check out more about PROJECT FUTURES here.
- By choosing recycled and eco-friendly fabrics to reduce our impact on the environment. The fabric we have used for our first collection is a high performance, techno-fabric made from recycled polyester and recycled nylon. It is made in Italy by a company that promotes sustainability and environmental awareness.
- By supporting artists and designers locally and around the world to create exciting future prints and collections.
The Samanata Yogi Collection
Our first collection is Wanderlust, which we think will bring some serious fun and style to your mat. Inspired by our love of travel, and working with talented artists from around the world, we have created unique printed leggings which tell a story about places, countries, people and culture. We use high end digital printing to enhance the beautiful detail on these leggings.
Not only that, your leggings are created with performance fabric (check out the tech specs above) that is recycled from waste materials. So you'll feel great and look great whilst doing great things for the planet.
We'll launch with two styles:
1. Full Print Leggings: A bright and vibrant printed legging made from a recycled polyester and elastane blend. This legging has a fold over waistband option so you can wear them high or low.
2. Waistband Print Leggings: A black legging with a printed waistband made from a recycled nylon and elastane blend. Our design has a unique V-back feature and a foot strap. The waistband is available in ANY of the four prints below.
We have four AMAZING prints that we're excited to share with you (plus more to follow in the future):
1. Coral Planet: Inspired by the depth, power and magnificence of the ocean and all of the incredible things it has to offer. A beautiful, colourful array of coral and sea life. One for the water lovers amongst us. This print is available on a dark base or light base (see below).
2. Dharramalin: An aboriginal painting that tells a story about guardian spirits who watch over us and symbolises the battles that women face as well as their courage and strength to overcome and learn from them. Representing all the powerful women in our lives. This print is available on a blue base or pink base (see print and colour options below).
3. Happy Holi: Inspired by the wonderful ancient Hindu Holi festival known as the festival of colours or the festival of love. Clouds of wild and wonderful colours to brighten up any yoga session.
4. Clovelly: A snapshot of English countryside and country living evoking images of endless green rolling hills and picturesque villages dotted amongst trees. A vintage feel for all of the green, countryside lovers amongst us.
Embrace the Samanata Yogi Lifestyle!
Print and colour options
Waist: measure around the slimmest part of your natural waistline which is above your navel and below your ribcage
Hips: measure around the point of your hips at the top of the legs, this may be approximately 23cm below your natural waistline
Instructions for ordering
If you’re ordering as a Christmas present, we’ll be preparing some great Christmas e-gift certificates for you to put under the tree. You can even personalise them with a name and message to make it extra special.
We’ll also send you a follow-up request to get all of the product details from you including the following:
- Size - Small, Medium, Large
- Style - Full Print or Waistband Print
- Print - Happy Holi, Coral Planet, Dharramalin, Clovelly
- Print colour option (if applicable) - Dark or Light for Coral Planet, Blue or Pink for Dharramalin
- Christmas e-gift certificate name (if applicable)
- Christmas e-gift certificate message (if applicable)
- Shipping address
So why do we need your moula?
We’ve come a long way but need your help! The funding we raise through Kickstarter will go directly towards our first production order to bring the Wanderlust Collection to you. We've invested in all of the upfront product development, design and sampling and we're ready to go.
Our target is £5,000 and this will contribute towards our first order. Our key costs are fabric, digital printing and sewing. A breakdown of the key costs per item is shown below:
What are you going to get? The chance to be one of the first Samanata Yogis! Our pre-orders are expected to be delivered in April. We’ll keep you updated with progress as they are being printed and sewn especially for you.
And what will the future bring? An increased product selection and some fun new style ideas. We'll always maintain our commitment to operate as a social business and we're excited about the many opportunities we have up our sleeves to contribute in the future.
If you're not able to contribute but love what we're doing, we'd be super grateful if you could spread the word. Please share away using the hashtag #SamanataYogi and follow us on Twitter (@SamanataYogi), Facebook (samanatayogi) and Instagram (samanatayogi). We really appreciate all your support.
Risks and challenges
Coming from corporate backgrounds, the last 18 months have been quite a learning experience! We have learnt so many new skills…from designing a clothing range to blog writing and social media! We have used this time to source, sample and plan and have developed a good relationship with our local suppliers.
It's very important to us that we get your leggings to you perfect and on time. Here's what we've done to mitigate the risks:
Samples: We’ve got all our samples and have some dedicated yogis trying them out for us so we make sure they are right. Both our designer and supplier are on board to get them perfect for you.
Fabric and materials: We have our fabric chosen and our suppliers identified so all will be in place once our first order is set to go.
Sewing: We’re excited to be working with a small local factory with a great reputation who are expert at bringing great quality products to the UK market.
Reaching our Samanata Yogis: As a new brand we're keen to get out there but we know it will be tough. We’ve got a plan in place to get the word out but we'd love your support. Anything you can do to share will be massively appreciated.
As we've learnt, there can always be unforeseen challenges in manufacturing but we think we're well prepped and able to tackle any issues that arise. Of course, we’ll be keeping you posted with regular project updates so you're always in the know!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)