Does it Count? New Platform To Expand Your Social World.
Does it Count? New Platform To Expand Your Social World.
This Game takes the nervousness out of MEETING PEOPLE and makes the experience more FUN! To begin the FUN, just open a deck of Card.
This Game takes the nervousness out of MEETING PEOPLE and makes the experience more FUN! To begin the FUN, just open a deck of Card. Read more
About this project
GOOD NEWS: The first 50 backers will also receive a FREE GIFT of an original book, Does it Count, © 2005, by Chris d’Eon and Michael Cabrera.
Does It Count is a deck of cards that ask questions about the grey areas in life. Questions like “Does Motherhood Count As A Job” or “Does A Naked Person In National Geographic Count As Pornography.” The questions create an animated, fun debate. There are two ways to play the Original Edition.
- Playful option 1: Just open a deck and let the games begin. Once the conversation starts, you are playing. No rules, just bring the deck of cards to the bar or to a party and let the conversation flow. I will let you know now though that you may find the conversation getting a life of it own. Sometimes it will turn risqué and often times the volume of the conversation increase.
- Playful option 2: You can play the game more like a board game. Using the deck of cards, a “host” is selected and he or she will pick a Does It Count question to be debated. After the rest of the players share their thoughts on the subject, the “host” decides which person has the best argument. The “host” decides what counts. The winning argument gets the point. It’s that simple. And it’s wildly fun.
How did we get here?
As coauthor of the original book, Does it Count, © 2005, Chris d’Eon and Michael Cabrera have spent a tremendous amount of time seeking out ways to invigorate the social gatherings with friends, family, new acquaintances and everyone just passing by throughout the years. What they found was that a simple conversation starter can turn any situation into a social gathering. They found that everyone has a unique story to SHARE.
Rethinking and Redirecting Social Media.
Social media has made it increasingly more convenient to interact with others but… there is a price to pay…. we are losing a large part of ourselves as we become less socially graceful and adept. More and more we increase distance as we forget others feelings and opinions by relying more exclusively on interactions with homogenous preselected friends and less on diverse spontaneous interactions. We might be trading our morality and humanity in the process.
Theory behind Does It Count:
What ever happened to meaningful relationships, witty dialog and contagious laughter? They are not to be relegated to the past. Now it is more important than ever to reclaim our interpersonal social interactions and put down our smart phones and computers and return to sharing face to face interactions and conversations! There is far more we can find out about each other through Does it Count, than we could ever know through email, instant messaging or by reading a Facebook status.
Time to Participate and SHARE.
Instead of receiving an answer to a question that you did not ask, common ground needs to be established. What ever happened to getting to know someone by questions that show you have common experiences? Isn’t it ultimately much easier to connect to someone when you discover they have similar situations with different answers rather than having a one-way passive exchange, which one tees up their answers and never gives you a chance to participate by comparing experiences?
Social media allows you to comment and engage, but it only regurgitates what the content of the original post without adding unique personal experience and it looses spontaneity and the cohesive connections that are made between people bonding in each other presence.
It is more than a Game; it is our Social Commitment:
- Does It Count, that people are not talking face to face as much as they used to?
- Does it Count, that we are forgetting our social manners and becoming increasing isolated in or cyber-worlds?
The marketing concept for this product is that it is an innovative old school icebreaker. It is designed to reverse the trend in our social setting where individuals are isolating themselves in cyberspace rather than engaging each in real space by conversing and engaging in traditional social connections.
How did Does It Count start?
It all started with one question. On a remote getaway weekend without modern conveniences, we were preparing for the comforts of the evening ahead. But first…we need FIRE! So…introduce a Duraflame log. It was not just the fire that burned, the burning question was asked: When the fire was lit, Does a Durflame count as a campfire?” and THE IDEA was born.
“Yes it does count! There’s a fire, isn’t there? This is camp, right? So doesn’t that make this a campfire? Fire is fire, no matter how it gets started!”
“A real campfire has sticks and paper and rocks and stuff! Those synthetic logs are not real. You can’t use a Duraflame!”
“Well, that’s one big stick, there’s paper around it, and there are rocks underneath. Looks like a campfire to me!”
After a long drawn out sharing experience in which everyone present passionately participated in, we all were amazed at how such an innocuous question could inspire such an honest and revealing experience. We had come to know more about each other in that time that we could have imagined. We all felt connected in a way that our life had been missing.
Finally, the gather that started the fire asked, “Who decides what counts?”
We all looked at each other, and it was clear to all of us that there were no right and wrong but that it was each of us that sharing together on what counts. Just by contributing it was clear that, we each decided what counts. You decide what counts!
The start of the Book; now into the Game:
For the next two years we consolidated question after question into a list that later was developed into Does It Count the book copyrighted in 2005. Now, the spirit of the original conception is coming to fruition by introducing a card game that will bring the questions from Does it Count to a card game that is perfect for any social setting. With the introduction of the new platform we are reaching out to KICKSTARTER as a gateway to expose more people to the social benefits of playing the game and rediscover that social media falls short of a good old fashioned gathering.
Example deck of cards with Questions, Author and Friend Request buttons.
It’s more then a game; it’s a way to be recognized:
Everyone can participate as an Author. Get recognized for sharing your thoughts, ideas and most of all, questions to Does It Count. We understand that everyone wants to SHARE not only as a player but also as a contributor to this KICKSTARTER process.
REWARDS: Where do the questions come from?
The questions included in the original game edition are from the original book. The next game (Bar Scene & Hacker), will originate from KICKSTARTER. This will allow open creation and exchange of user-generated content for sharing the design of the Game(s).
Pledge funding will enable us to recognize the Authors of the questions /graphics and acknowledge their contribution. With everyone working together, the individual personal experience is greatly enhanced. You decide what Counts. See Rewards.
How to play the game:
Very simple, just open a deck and let the games begin. Once the conversation starts, you are playing. You answer questions in the deck and from there you can modify the rules and add your own questions for a uniquely personal experience. When people are participating and getting to know one another, everyone is winning. Of course there will be formal rules and a scoring system available to you.
This open source method of gaming allows the player(s) to customize a game suited to the player’s gaming desires. That is why we need KICKSTART’s support. Rules, rules, rules. Who makes up the rules? Well the Pledger can. You can be the Author of a new game played with Does It Count and be recognized as the game Author. Give it a cool name and let players request your game at play. Your new game will be listed on the Does It Count website. http://doesitcount.com. Include your creative name, a photo of you, and your brief profile for the Does It Count community to see. See Rewards.
Only you can make it count. Thanks to KICKSTARTER, we can pick up where social media has separated real social exchange. Can we count on you to make it Count?
Chris d’Eon and Nic Niccum
How will we use the funds?
Testing other sectors and collaborating on the next Editions:
- Kids Edition: Starting new friends, Birthday party, Social immaturity
- Couples Edition: Speed Dating, Couples consoling
- Office Edition: Team building, Sharing Ideas, Corporate Challenges
- College Edition: Students first years, Hooking up, Cheating
- Adult Edition: Sex, Entertainers, Dancers, Comedians, Gambler
- Home Edition: Food, Cooking, Weight loss, Health, Medicine
Who we are: Profile
Chris d’Eon: Co-Author of Does it Count (The Book) and (The Game).
- Specialties:Internet Marketing
- Experience Positions: MOGL (Restaurant loyalty Game), Pathway Genomics, Intuit (TurboTax), Proflowers (VP Marketing), RealAge (SVP), Started iMarketers.org and Founder of sneakerLOGIC.
- Currently: Evaluating Social media and helping bring the street-smart startup thinking to the world.
Nic Niccum: Co-Author of Does it Count (The Game)
- Specialties: Architect, Project Designer and Operational Manager.
- Experience Positions: Owner of Formshop-Architecture, Project Architect with JMA Architecture Studios. Owner of sneakerLOGIC
- Currently: Producer, Designer, Writer, Director and managing all aspects of Does it Count.
Michael Cabrera: Co-Author of Does it Count (The Book).
- Specialties: Mechanical Engineering, Social response tester, Open Source Sharing Designer.
- Experience Positions: Chief Engineer with EJS, KE-Burgmann, EagleBurgmann.
- Currently: He channels his creativity into many mediums including software applications.
For more information about us, our game, and game development, visit us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Does-it-Count/219256671520159
COMING SOON: website at: http://doesitcount.com
Support this project
- (59 days)