About this project
[music used in the video : 26 Spyhnx by Hasenchat on Jamendo]
Antipodes to the classic arcanas
I encountered Uel Aramchek's work on Twitter, as most do given it's mostly there you can find it, North of Reality, the website where he posts slightly longer fiction having launched only in May.
Short fiction, yes but big worlds, huges ones even. From forbidden chess pieces, to people that speak gun, from identities sealed in bottles to precious advice, android ossuaries and ghost satellites, from the depths of world unknown under strange suns to the Invisible States of America. It’s a never-ending stream of bizarre and awe, fantasy and dread, capped in a few words and it’s marvellous.
Back in February, he started to describe an additional set of cards that answered to the Major Arcana of the traditional Tarot. They were great. So I thought : «I should try to draw them». I asked if he was okay with this. He was. And I drew them.
A few arcanas
From the first ones :
- XXIII – The Network. “Representing the crossing paths of a thousand fools at what each each thought was the end of their journey.”
- XXIV – The Android. “Cloaked in velvet robes that once belonged to the magician who built him, standing on the bones that remain.“
- XXV - The Quasar (not there)
- XXVI – The Corporation. “Depicted as a mermaid empress breaking alkaline batteries in half and pouring their contents into a mug.”
- XXXI – Conspiracy. “A tattered flag of eyes and stripes flutters in whispers of hurricane strength. The clouds have eyes as well.“
- XXXII – The Hitchhiker. “A buffalo-headed hermit who stalks an empty desert highway. His shadow is shaped like a mushroom cloud.“
- XXXIV – Uprising. “A two-headed elephant trumpets wildly while crushing a riot-geared angel of justice with its bifurcated trunk.“
From the last ones :
- XL – Virtual Reality. “Colorful polygons drift like icebergs across an ocean of dark mercury. Black stars punctuate a white sky.“ (on Twitter)
- XLI – Global Warming. “The aristocrats of a lunar metropolis drink cognac as a crescent earth burns in their otherwise black sky.“
- XLII – The Time Machine. “A figure in prison stripes takes his hammer to a giant orrery. He wears the sun like a ball and chain.“
- XL – The Final Boss. “Atop a lone mountain, the angel of judgment unfurls moth-like wings. Far below, a hero draws his sword.“
- XL – The Rogue Planet. “Jupiter is partially eclipsed by a sphere of fanged darkness suspended in space by Atlas’s twin sister.“
Now YOU can help turn this into an actual deck, give those ghastly symbols a physical form! Well, there is actually two decks already existing, but I think no cosmic event of importance can come from such a feeble incarnation. Help those ominous depictions of our time to reach reality! And better, your immediate reality.
There is a variety of ways by which you can help. You can buy one deck, or buy more decks, or buy nothing, or one of four commissions by me (great price, subject to discuss).
I'll add the shipping info in the FAQ along the way, but it will mostly be translating the swiss postal service's brochures.
A few links
Risks and challenges
Main problem is attracting enough people, the tarot seems to print out fine, and the cards are finished, except for a few cosmetic modifications. I am confident in my capacity to package and mail the decks. The remaining ordeals will be fought by different postal services accross the world.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)