BeardedBear: Old school Arcade Shooter with Roguelike bits
BeardedBear: Old school Arcade Shooter with Roguelike bits
An Arcade game enriched by dynamic and frenetic gameplay, gorgeous handcrafted pixelart, and an awesome Synthwave OST.
An Arcade game enriched by dynamic and frenetic gameplay, gorgeous handcrafted pixelart, and an awesome Synthwave OST. Read more
About this project
If you like what you see remember to vote us on Steam Greenlight here:
Pssst! You can also download the Demo and try the game! More info about that below in the "Useful Links" section!
Behold BeardedBear, a roguelite arcade shooter about a cyborg bear with a mighty beard shooting aliens through time and space!
Once upon a time there was a sleeping bear. A scientist was passing by and seeing him he thought: "I'm sure that if I give him a super powerful beard with time-travel powers and I turn him into a cyborg he will become an awesome weapon against an alien invasion." Guess what? The next day storms of aliens invade the Earth. The rest is history.
We aim to provide the most dynamic gameplay possible, and to achieve this goal we introduced two key features: the weapon system and the exp system.
The Weapon System
Weapons are created by the combination of a weapon type and a bullet type. Everything is possible: pistols that shoot bullets, shotguns that shoot arrows, miniguns that shoot other miniguns, even flamethrowers that shoot poisoned darts!
Keep an eye on them, because those will last only for 15 seconds each. So be sure to always have a fresh gun in your hairy hands!
NB: those are the currently implemented weapons and bullets, in the final game there will be many more.
Exp and Powerup System
You have to always keep on moving because the experience left behind on the ground doesn't disappear, but goes to the enemies! You are not just able to collect the experience and level up, choosing a powerup. The aliens can steal your experience and force you to choose a powerup for them, so move fast and don't let them take it!
Gorgeous handcrafted pixelart! The main theme of the game is time travelling, this gives us the opportunity to present you an awesome view of a characteristic place in a precise time set for each level, from a prehistorical era to the futuristic death of the universe passing by Babylon, ancient Greece, Middle age, Renaissance, and other crucial periods of our history!
The music is made by a base (unique for every weapon type) and a lead (unique for every bullet type), this grants you a soundtrack for every weapon combination possible! In addition to being always original and different every time, it also lets you know instantly what weapon type you have at the moment.
Pistol base with Bullet lead :
Pistol base with Fire lead :
Revolver base with Random lead:
Shooter Boss Theme:
Cocoon Boss Theme:
Thanks to the simple control scheme of the game, it can be played with anything that has at least six inputs!
Your hands are always on your good old keyboard? Play with the classic and timeless charm of a keyboard!
You have a huge TV and you want the comfort of your couch? Play with the gamepad!
You are a nostalgic guy from the 80s and you want the awesome feel of a joystick and big round buttons? You can play with an arcade stick flawlessly!
WHAT'S IN THE GAME?
- 7 entirely balanced and playable levels out of 16 (the remaining ones are already programmed but lack the graphics assets)
- 12 unique weapon types out of *???* (We don't know how many weapon types the final product will have. The only thing we know about that is that we want to put a lot of them.)
- 14 unique bullet types out of *???* (Same as weapon types)
- 7 different enemy types, each with four evolutive stages
- 3 mid bosses (They lack some animation but are already playable in the demo. Note that they appear always on the 5th 10th and 15th levels but in a random order for each run!)
- 20 different player upgrades out of *???*
- 15 different enemy upgrades out of *???*
- 4 combo bonus power ups
- 7 different beard types, each with their own pros and cons out of 10 (Some of them need a rework because they are pretty unbalanced right now)
- Looping system with Timetempests, timewarps, and timeshifts!
- Gamepad support
- Local coop mode
- Fun/hard mode
- Daily challenge system (yes, it's already implemented, but it uses our current server and it's not very stable. We'll redo it with the Steam Leaderboard API when we'll be approved on Steam Greenlight)
Stefano "ElKiwy" Bertoli
Designer and Programmer
Passionate about games since birth, as soon as he started Computer Science in University he began to code games. He made many games in 48h jams and other various personal prototypes. Now he has 4 years of programming experience at student, hobbyist, and professional level.
Alberto "Kiiro" Bonalumi
Composer and Sound Designer
Playing guitar in a band is fun, but let's face it, all these knobs and flashing leds on a Synthesizer are so much cooler. After messing around with trackers and audio editing software for more than a year, he decided to start working seriously when he first discovered the world of Synthwave music. BeardedBear is for him the perfect chance to learn and discover all the tricks to make music on a professional level.
Giacomo "Hellion" Imola
It's not been much since this young one started drawing backgrounds for this game, but he is rocking it since day one! Sometimes he needs a few whips to get the work started but once he gets going he works like a maniac.
"Bears In Mind", our story
Stefano started the project three years ago as a fun coding exercise for mobile with Lua and a mobile SDK.
A while later the scope of the game was too large to fit in a smartphone (and the touchscreen controls were terrible for this kind of game) so he threw everything in the bin and started all over with an engine for the PC in Lua.
After a year of development another student, Alberto, joins the team, helping on the design process and making the audio and music for the game.
It was at this point (1.5 years ago more or less) that the project became more serious and with an idea to release it eventually, so Stefano threw everything in the bin again and restarted it with GameMaker:Studio.
After another year the game was looking promising, but with below average graphics. Giacomo, a friend of us, saw us testing the game and decided to join the team creating the backgrounds and the main graphics.
From an ugly and unplayable sketch, now the game is looking and feeling great. There's still a lot of work to be done, but we begin to feel the game is really taking shape.
- 6'000€ - Main Goal
Whooooo the game is complete! Have fun!
- 7'000€ - Secret Areas
Secret levels, secret bosses, secret secrets!
- 8'000€ - Multiplayer Arena Competitive Versus Mode and 4 players coop
Up to four bears shoot themselves to death to prove who has the mightiest bear of all! Also 4 player coop for the standard game.
- 9'000€ - Online Coop
Bears in Mind here, giving you the best from the future generation of gaming. Just like coop, but online! Internet play! Woo!
- 10'000€ - Challenge Mode
Bringing a totally random game on a competitive level removing the random element. Fixed sets of weapons, enemies and powerups. Climb the leaderboards and challenge your friends. Be the best!
- 15'000€ - Console Release
PS4, PsVita, XBox One releases. Play on your favorite couch.
- 20'000€ - ???
??? (Shh, it's a secret) ???
At the moment there are 7 levels out of the 16 total (from the first loop) and the next hours of work will be invested in finishing all these levels. After this we will refine the loop mechanics (already implemented but very sketched right now) and after the game is 100% playable from start to finish we will publish it in Early Access state to have the most feedback possible and to have the possibility to add more content without having to delay the launch date to the public.
We choose Kickstarter because being three students close to our CS degree this campaign could realize our dream of being a "real and official" indie team. We know this is a golden opportunity for us and this will greatly impact on our future.
* everyone from the game tier and above will also be thanked by name in the credits!
* * The leaderboard will feature details like your name, score, and an image of the beard that you used to make that run.
The "Kickstarer Badge" on the Leaderboards will be a small icon near your name. The SuperPremiumSkin in the 35€ tier will be a total different image of the beard that you used to really stand out from the crowd!
* * * The Logo in the background has to be approved by us. No offensive words in it or illegal stuff.
* * * * The estimated delivery date of all rewards is only indicative about the final game release. The beta access, logo, and designs will be available as soon as possible.
If you are thinking "Whoa, this game is really great, but how can I learn even more about it to see if it truly is worth my money?".Well, here you can find a bunch of interesting stuff for you!
NB: In the official website and on IndieDB you can also find a downloadable demo of the game!
- Official Website: https://beardedbearthegame.com
- Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=840196533
- YouTube Trailer: https://youtu.be/7yaPZY4X-AY
- IndieDB Page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/beardedbear
- TIGSource Thread: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=54839.0
- Stefano's Twitter: https://twitter.com/ElkiwyDev
- BearsInMind Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BearsInMindGames
Last but not least, we would love so much if you join our Discord server!
You will be able to follow directly the development of the game, give feedback, and talk freely about anything with our community!
- BeardedBear Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/NcwpTyu
Risks and challenges
Being three young students, the risks to be taken into account are things like being inexperienced about estimate the launch dates, having difficulties handling the Italian bureaucracy about work, and all other things that doesn't directly affect the development of the game.
However, we feel we are very cohesive and determined. We made big steps forward up to this date and we will continue improving ourselves doing what we do best: making games.
Support this project
- (30 days)