Get it now at:
Given the chance, we will make a tool that allows you to convert your photo, logo, icon or other image into a LEGO® brick mosaic kit just like the examples above. Build it and hang it on your wall, or give it as a gift.
LEGO® consistently manufactures 16 different colors. If you use only these colors, your options for producing accurate mosaics are limited. Fortunately, there are additional "retired" colors that are still available thru various 3rd party resellers. This expands the palette to over 40 colors which allows for more accurate and interesting images to be made.
You may have difficulty determining which colors are available in which brick sizes.
- It requires artistic and technical skill to convert your images to use only the LEGO® colors.
- Once you have converted your image, it can be tricky to find the best arrangement of bricks and determine how many of each you need.
- After you’ve figured that out, locating and purchasing all the bricks can be very time consuming. It often takes multiple orders of small quantities from various sources. It can take weeks to acquire all the pieces and all the individual shipping fees will add up to make it more expensive than it needs to be.
Case Study: We made the checkmark logo (displayed above) using this manual process. It took around 4 hours to research and convert the image to the proper colors and to digitally place and count the number of bricks that we needed. To get all the pieces, we had to make 5 separate orders from different places. Each place had their own minimums, so we had to purchase extra bricks that we didn't need. We had to pay 5 shipping and handling charges. And we had to wait 2 weeks for all the parts to arrive. Once we started assembling everything we realized that we had made a mistake and needed two additional bricks, which took another week to arrive.
We have chosen to solve all of these problems for you. We will make it easy for you to turn your favorite images into LEGO® mosaics.
1) Software: We have already created software that correctly converts images into the LEGO® palette of colors. We have another algorithm that optimally places the bricks and produces a part list with detailed assembly instructions. If we have the opportunity, we will improve these algorithms and build a website around it that anyone can use.
2) Bricks: To take the pain out of ordering everything, we will stock all the bricks in all the available colors (current and retired), so that you can get the entire mosaic kit from us with one simple step!
1) Bricks: LEGO® bricks are expensive and we need a lot of them to make all of your rewards. If we secure funding we will purchase at least 87,527 bricks to complete all the kits and ship them to you.
2) Website: We are also fully committed to building a great tool that makes the process fun and enjoyable. We have already done a lot of the work, but we estimate that it will take a designer and a developer an additional 2-3 months to finish. Some of the things that we need to build:
- An inventory tracking system so that we know how many of each brick we have, their cost and where we can get more.
- An online editor so that you can manually tweak your Brick-A-Pic to your liking after you upload your image.
- An account/order tracking system so that we can keep track of everyone's Brick-A-Pic and know where to send the kits.
1) Become a backer of this project! All supporters will be able to use our software to convert their favorite images into a LEGO® Brick-A-Pic mosaic kit. Your support and encouragement is greatly appreciated. Please share with your friends, family and coworkers.
2) Spread the word! We have a website (http://me.brickapic.com) that will convert your image into a virtual mosaic. Please turn your photo or selfie into a LEGO® brick avatar and share it with your social network.
3) Make a Mosaic! We also have a website (http://www.brickapic.com) where you can upload a photo and preview your LEGO® mosaic. In the future, you'll be able to order it here too.
Instructions - We will provide easy to follow, full-color instructions on how to assemble your Brick-A-Pic kit.
Small Kit - A 16x16 pixel Brick-A-Pic kit. This includes easy to follow instructions, a baseplate and up to 256 LEGO® bricks to complete your mosaic. This kit works well for simple logos, app icons, pixel art, or other small graphics. Final mosaic is 5 inches on a side.
Medium Kit - A 32x32 pixel Brick-A-Pic kit. This includes easy to follow instructions, a baseplate and up to 1024 LEGO® bricks to complete your mosaic. This kit works well for portraits, logos, app icons and most photos and illustrations. Final mosaic is 10 inches on a side.
Large Kit - A 48x48 pixel Brick-A-Pic kit. This includes easy to follow instructions, a baseplate and up to 2304 LEGO® bricks to complete your mosaic. This kit works best for portraits, complex logos, landscape photos and anything else. Final mosaic is 15 inches on a side.
Custom - A custom sized Brick-A-Pic kit. Don't want to be limited by a single square baseplate? Choose any size up to 5,000 square pixels (such as 50x100) and we will make it happen. This includes instructions, several baseplates and up to 5000 LEGO® bricks to complete your mosaic. Want a large company logo to hang on the wall. This is for you!
Delivery Schedule - We'll need 2-3 months to finish coding our software, building our website and stocking all the bricks. Once we are ready, we'll send out redemption codes and instructions on how to access the website, upload your image, edit your Brick-A-Pic and complete your reward. You'll get the digital instructions right away, and if your reward includes LEGO® bricks, they'll be shipped out as soon as we can pack the boxes. We are hoping to have all rewards shipped within 1-2 weeks.
Where are you getting your LEGO® bricks?
We purchase our LEGO® bricks through the same retail sources available to the general public. This includes the official LEGO® Pick-A-Brick online store, as well as 3rd party resellers such as Bricklink, Brickowl, eBay and others.
Do you have a relationship with LEGO®?
No. We are not officially endorsed by or affiliated with the LEGO® Group. LEGO®, and the LEGO® logo are trademarks and/or copyrights of the LEGO® Group. One risk of this project is that the LEGO® Company objects to our use of their product. Given the number and variety of 3rd party websites devoted to LEGO®, and the number of other LEGO® Kickstarter projects, we think that this is unlikely.
Can you ship internationally?
We are based in the US. Backers outside the US can get our "Plans Only", "Small Kit", and "Medium Kit" rewards. Just select the reward level that indicates "International Shipping". Our "Large Kit" would be too expensive to ship internationally so it is currently only available in the US.
Can I preview what my photo will look like before I commit to this project?
Our software isn't mature enough to do this yet - but it's in our plans for the future and that's why we are launching this Kickstarter :) We've provided a variety of examples that should demonstrate that portraits, logos and photos can all come out well. The most accurate Brick-A-Pic is achieved by using a brightly lit photo or image with high contrast. As part of the project we will provide advice for how to achieve best results for your Brick-A-Pic.
Why do I need Brick-A-Pic? Can't I just do this all myself?
Yes, you can do it yourself, but it will take many many hours. If that sounds like a fun project, then you should totally do it. We did! However, if it sounds tedious or you are too busy and just want the final product, that's what we are for.