The Game is On! Sherlock Holmes Based Playing Cards
Playing cards inspired by the works of Sherlock Holmes & Sir Arthur Conan Doyle featuring the art of Mindy Lou Hagan & Shane Tyree
News: The Game is On will be relaunching later. Please keep track of our updates for more info or visit SherlockHolmesDeck.com! Thank you for your support. ~ Tabz
"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." - Sherlock Holmes (The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle)
The first group project by StarT Studios!
There hasn't been a character in fiction that has had the same impact on the world as Sherlock Holmes. This first playing card project from Tabitha Grace Smith (aka Tabz) brings the world of Sherlock Holmes from text to playing cards. A playful parody on the Sherlock Holmes fandom featuring the Sherlock characters as animals. Artwork by Mindy Lou Hagan.
Guest artwork for the gaff cards by Justine Schneider & Nate Taylor. Each playing card features custom pips also designed by Mindy Lou Hagan!
Current Rewards Available
(See below to see more about them)
- The Game is On! Playing Card Deck by Mindy Hagan
- The Game is On! Challenge Coin by Mindy Hagan
- A Bottle Opener featuring Sherlock logo by Lynda Donaldson
- Dice featuring Sherlock logo by Lynda Donaldson
- Playing Card Aluminum Case featuring Sherlock logo by Lynda Donaldson.
- The Game is Afoot! Challenge Coin by Shane Tyree
- e-book for ALL tiers! - Why We Love Holmes.
Why Sherlock Holmes?
"Our modern obsession with this character isn't particularly novel. Holmes has been a continuous hit since his creation, and he was the first fictional character that fans really took ownership of — after Arthur Conan Doyle tried to kill him off, they refused to accept his death and wrote their own Holmes stories." - Stephen Marche
From Tabz: I'm a giant Sherlockian. I have been since I was 9. There's no single fictional character that has had a bigger impact on my life than Holmes. I believe in Sherlock Holmes. He taught me to think; he showed me the wonders of reading, learning, and writing; he showed me the value of friendship; and most, importantly, he taught me to love my obsessive geekiness.
I owe a lot to Sherlock Holmes and the fandom. Because of this, I would LOVE to give back in a small part by creating this project. If we hit the stretch goals there'll not only be two playing card decks, but also a Pairs deck, music, books, and more!
For those who are familiar with Shane Tyree's work, please know that this project is being administered, produced, and fulfilled by Tabz.
"His very person and appearance were such as to strike the attention of the most casual observer. In height he was rather over six feet, and so excessively lean that he seemed to be considerably taller. His eyes were sharp and piercing, save during those intervals of torpor to which I have alluded; and his thin, hawk-like nose gave his whole expression an air of alertness and decision. His chin, too, had the prominence and squareness which mark the man of determination." - Dr. John H. Watson (A Study in Scarlet)
List of cards/characters:
- King of Spades - Sherlock Holmes - Otter
- Queen of Spades - Irene Adler - Minx
- Jack of Spades - Mycroft Holmes - Fox
“She wondered how Dr. Watson - a clever man in his own right - had lasted so many years without bashing his roommate over the head out of sheer frustration.” ― Emma Jane Holloway, A Study in Darkness
- King of Hearts - Dr. John H. Watson - Hedgehog
- Queen of Hearts - Mary Watson - Raccoon
- Jack of Hearts - Watson's Bullpup - Bulldog
"He is the most famous detective ever to walk the corridors of Scotland Yard, yet he existed only in the fertile imagination of a writer. He was Inspector Lestrade. ...the best of a bad lot who had reached the top in the CID by bulldog tenacity." - H. Paul Jeffers
- King of Clubs - Inspector Lestrade - Collie
- Queen of Clubs - Mrs. Hudson - Mouse
- Jack of Clubs - Inspector Gregson - Beagle
“Moriarty came as a real surprise to people. He doesn't have to do the conventional villain thing. He is witty, and people like that. He is also a proper match for Sherlock. He's very mercurial, too." - Andrew Scott
- King of Diamonds - Professor James Moriarty - Bunny
- Queen of Diamonds - The Speckled Band - Snake
- Jack of Diamonds - The Hound - Hound
Why We Love Sherlock PDF (For All Tiers)
"Why We Love Sherlock" is a PDF with original essays by Sherlockians & geeks including:
- Leslie Klinger - the world’s first consulting Sherlockian, is the editor of the Edgar®-winning New Annotated Sherlock Holmes. He also served as the technical advisor for the Warner Bros. “Sherlock Holmes” films.
- Bonnie Burton - author of best-selling books "The Star Wars Craft Book," "Draw Star Wars: The Clone Wars," "You Can Draw: Star Wars," "Girls Against Girls: Why We Are Mean to Each Other and How We Can Change" and more. Writes for SFX Magazine and CNET.com. Hosts "Geek DIY" craft show on Stan Lee's World of Heroes Youtube Channel. Co-hosts Vaginal Fantasy Romance Book Club Show on Geek & Sundry Channel. VandalEyes co-founder.
- Jenna Busch - host and reporter for all things geek, appearing on dozens of TV shows, websites and podcasts. She writes comic books, founded Legion of Leia and owns a terrifying amount of swords and lightsabers.
- Stephanie Osborn - Interstellar Woman of Mystery, a veteran of more than 20 years in the civilian space program, with graduate and undergraduate degrees in four sciences: astronomy, physics, chemistry and mathematics, and she is “fluent” in several more, including geology and anatomy. She has authored, co-authored, or contributed to more than 20 books, including the celebrated science-fiction mystery, Burnout: The mystery of Space Shuttle STS-281. She is the co-author of the “Cresperian Saga” book series, and currently writes the critically acclaimed “Displaced Detective” series, described as “Sherlock Holmes meets The X-Files.” In addition to her writing, the Interstellar Woman of Mystery now happily “pays it forward,” teaching math and science through numerous media including radio, podcasting and public speaking, as well as working with SIGMA, the science-fiction think tank.
- Angela Fowler - doctoral student at Auburn University finishing her dissertation on Arthur Conan Doyle and cosmopolitanism. In her spare time, she's a co-host on the podcast Through the Pages of Sherlock Holmes, a fanfiction writer, and a lover of all breakfast foods (besides grits).
- Also featuring new art by Len Peralta!
How do I add on Add-ons? Click here for an explanation!
"You know my method. It is founded upon the observation of trifles." - Sherlock Holmes (The Boscombe Valley Mystery)
Add-On Custom Dice || $3 for a pair [$4 international]
Custom printed dice from Chessex with the Sherlock logo on the six side. Logo design by Lynda Donaldson.
Add-On Stainless Steel Bottle Opener || $5 each [$6 international]
Custom printed bottle opener with the Sherlock logo.
Add-On The Game is On Necklace || $8 each [$8 international]
1" dark black necklaces with Mindy's artwork. Pick your favorite card/character image! (24" Length)
Add-On Aluminum Playing Card Case || $10 each [$11 international]
Custom laser engraved playing card case (fits one deck).
Add-On Custom Coins || $10 each [$12 international]
Custom made challenge coins (1.75" in silver). Mindy's (Otter) or Shane's.
Add-On Extra Playing Card Deck || $12 each [$14 international]
Either deck (once the Shane Tyree deck is unlocked).
Stretch Goal #1 - "The Game is Afoot" - Sherlock Deck with art by Shane Tyree - $30,221
If we reach this goal, Shane Tyree will do a black and white deck based on the original Sherlock Holmes canon. This deck will feature similar characters from the Game is On deck and custom pips! Guest artwork for this deck will come from Adam Levermore.
Stretch Goal #2 - Brand-New Sherlock Holmes Inspired Song by Marian Call (For All) - $35,221
If we hit this goal, the very talented Marian Call will create a brand-new song that will be available for all the backers based on Sherlock Holmes! If you're a geek you probably know her Firefly inspired CD "Gotta Fly" or you may know her from her own successful Kickstarter for her album "Sketchbook."
Stretch Goal #3 - Sherlock Holmes Themed Pairs Deck - $45,221
If we hit this goal we'll create a Sherlock Holmes themed Pairs Deck. Find out more about Pairs here: http://www.cheapass.com/freegames/pairs
“Watson and Holmes are two halves of the same person. They are Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It’s a brilliant creation their friendship, and it needs both, you can’t have the one without the other, it’s impossible." - Jeremy Brett
Share Goal #1 - 500 Shares || Sherlock Logo Sticker
A sticker featuring the Sherlock Holmes logo by Lynda. Every backer at $5 or more will get one for free!
Share Goal #2 - 700 Shares || Sherlock Bookmark
A bookmark featuring artwork from both decks! Every backer at $5 or more will get one for free!
Share Goal #3 - 1,000 Shares || Sherlock Audio Drama
An adaptation of one of the original stories produced by the team at Between the Lines Studios. Voice acting roles may be available for backers via auditions. Every backer will get an .mp3 download of the final edited audio drama.
Share Goal #4 - 2,000 Shares || More Cool Stuff
We're working on some awesome rewards for all the backers if we hit this share goal.
*Shares based on Kicktraq.com number.
Tabitha Grace Smith (aka Tabz) has been a Sherlockian since she was 9 years old. When she was 12 she launched her own Sherlock Holmes newsletter, "Sherlockian Snippets" and wrote articles for various Sherlock Holmes periodicals including The Shoso-in Bulletin and The Sherlock Holmes Gazette. Currently she's the host of three Sherlock Holmes podcasts. She's a professional geek, social media marketer, and writer of children's books.
Website || Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || Kickstarter || tumblr
Baker Street Irregulars (aka Crew Members)!
If you have a question, some of these people may be able to help you. They speak on Tabz' behalf and may have the answers you're seeking!
Lucian "Luke" Levine. Link to his profile.
Tro Rex. Link to her profile.
Kim Butler. Link to her profile.
Want to Show Your Support?
I know international shipping is a pain and costly, so as a special consideration for international Kickstarter backers I'm pledging to send their packages first (in January). This will not delay the US rewards (most of you will get them before the international folks). This doesn't include the special US only "by Christmas" reward tier.
Want to Know More About Sherlock Holmes & Copyright?
Sherlockian.net has a great summary of the Sherlock Holmes copyright issues. Currently Sherlock Holmes is out of the UK and Canada copyright and, according to a recent court case in the US, the characters of Sherlock Holmes and Watson are in the public domain as "story elements." Read more here.
Fonts used on this page (with permission) are: Jellyka Saint Andrews Queen, St. Nicholas by The Scriptorium
Need more otters in your life? OTTER CAM: http://www.tnaqua.org/OurAnimals/OtterCam.aspx (Otter cam isn't associated with this Kickstarter, it's just gosh darn cute).
** NEWS **
The awesome folks at The Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd are letting us include 10 copies of their season 7 audio CD which includes Stan Freberg as Sherlock Holmes! The Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd is an award winning, family friendly audio drama about an evil genius who travels through time to steal historical items and the team of good guys who try and stop him. It's witty, hilarious and something that's great fun while still being educational.
The limited reward level will include 2 decks, 2 dice, 1 coin, and 1 CD, so catch it while you can.
Risks and challenges
Risks are mostly of the "act of God" variety. Shipping, Kickstarter management, and fulfillment is by Tabitha Grace Smith. I've run one successful Kickstarter in the past and have experience helping run Kickstarters for several different people.
The Stretch Goal artwork is being done by Shane Tyree. His current project (The Writhing Dark) is currently in approval process from Bicycle. The coins, dice and stickers are already in house, the only thing waiting on books and decks to ship.
Fulfillment date has been set for after the holidays to make sure we have enough time to get all of the parts from the various artists, authors, and people involved with this project.
I have a group of family and friends who will be helping with fulfillment and will take over if something terribly unforeseen happens to me.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)